The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 99joey
How do you PM, and my teacher told me not to do it by case study but to do it by scale so by meso, macro and micro

What do you mean by scale? Like what landscape would come under meso, macro and micro

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chocofudge123
What do you mean by scale? Like what landscape would come under meso, macro and micro

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the scale on landscapes would be between Mega and Micro with EAR and Mid-Atlantic Ridge being near Mega and Isle of Arran being near Micro etc, and then within that I would discuss the features present and put those into the scales of meso, micro and macro, hope that makes sense, that's at least what my teacher advised us to do
Original post by ombtom
How many pages do you usually write for 10 and 15 mark answers? :smile:

1.5 for 10 and 2/2.5 for 15
Reply 263
Anyone got any brief examples/case studies of places with landscapes that have been affected by other processes as well as tectonic ones?
Original post by LexieA
Anyone got any brief examples/case studies of places with landscapes that have been affected by other processes as well as tectonic ones?

Use Isle of Arran- landscapes can only be seen due to weathering/erosion. This is because any intrusive volcanic features don't affect landscape so can only be seen if weathering/erosion has happened.
Reply 265
Original post by CriminalMinds
Use Isle of Arran- landscapes can only be seen due to weathering/erosion. This is because any intrusive volcanic features don't affect landscape so can only be seen if weathering/erosion has happened.

Thank you!
Original post by LexieA
Thank you!

Thats ok
Reply 267
What sort of things are people researching for the pre release? I'm completely lost 😕
Original post by Wee chump
same, i got no idea

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I was planning to split it up into different health risks (infectious/chronic/genetic/trauma) and if pollution management helps or not. Only problem is I can't find good management case studies - any ideas?
cultural diversity people, what case studies and theories you using?
Original post by Indigo.Brownhall
Sure! But for some reason it will not allow me to upload it :frown: so if you give me your email I can send it that way!

Indigo

Could you send it to me as well please? :smile:
Any predictions for the three questions for the Superpowers synoptic section in the Unit 3 exam?
Original post by CriminalMinds
Hi I've done a sample report for tectonics which my teacher says is good if you want it then could you send me your email address as it won't let me upload it.

Can I have a look at it too please ?!

Thanks
Original post by Monkeboy
Can I have a look at it too please ?!

Thanks

sure just send me your email address
Hi guys. Can someone doing Tech Fix tell me what case studies they're using and for what please. Just want to check I haven't missed anything. Thank you
Hi
how are people revising of unit 3 section a and b
For anyone doing The Development Gap, I'm going to list some reasons why there is a so called "Brandt Line". I will pay specific attention to one of the reasons- Debt.

Reasons for The Development Gap:

Firstly there is Rostow's theory. It essentially illustrates development on an economic scale. A country passes from underdevelopment to development via five stages, akin to an aircraft taking off. It takes off from a traditional society where it is focused on subsistence farming and agriculture. It then moves on to the second stage which is known as the pre-conditions for take-off. A country begins to specialize and its infrastructure begins to develop. Investment is around 5% of GNP. The third stage is the take-off. There is industrialization, rapid investment and regional growth. The fourth stage is the drive to maturity where there is very high investment, growth in all sectors of the economy, less reliance on imports, diversification and innovation. The final stage is high mass consumption. This stage is when a country is consumer orientated, the quaternary sector becomes dominant and more durable consumer industries are established. Evaluation: The problem with Rostow's theory is that it fails to take into account non-economic factors of development such as political changes and social ideas like high population growth

Other reasons include the poverty cycle, political ideas such as Karl Marx's favoring of a communist economy over a capitalist one, the dependency theory where countries like the USA control and exploit less developed areas of the world. Globalisation is another reason. It focuses on the effects of economic globalization on development. Globalisation has created more developed countries via TNCs and global flows such as capital, tourism, technology and political ideas.

THE DEBT CYCLE

In the last five decades many poor countries have accepted loans from rich countries. However, there is a high interest payment on these loans, often in which the developing country cannot afford to pay.

Example:

The Arab-Israeli war of 1973-1974 led to a sharp rise in oil prices. The governments and individuals of such oil-producing countries (UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait etc.) invested so called petro dollars (profits from sales) in rich countries' banks.
These banks had a huge supply of money coming in and had to recycle these large reserves of petro dollars. So why does this lead to a increasing development gap? Well...

These banks offered low interest loans to essentially use its large reserve of money (petro dollars). Poor countries were encouraged to borrow to fund their development and use the loan to exploit raw materials and grow cash crops. They could then pay back their loans with profits made from the exports. Seems simple, right?

Unfortunately, in the 1980's Western countries who issued the aforementioned loans were hit by the recession and tried to combat this by raising interest rates. At the same time, crop surpluses in developing countries led to a fall in price for them. So these poor countries had a reduced income than before and more interest to pay than before.

The Debt Crisis continues. This is because of the high interest rates charged by some banks. It is also due to corruption within developing countries' governments and companies which diverts loans monies from the intended target (essentially using the loan money for itself). Also political instability led to a loss in confidence from these Western banks to lend out loans. Trade barriers imposed by developed countries that make it hard for poorer countries to export their goods also perpetuates the debt crisis.
Tomorrow I will be focusing on Global Players. (TDG topic)
How is everyone doing for Unit 3 section A and B revision?
Original post by Stefan98
How is everyone doing for Unit 3 section A and B revision?

I was doing great - I'd decided my topics and gone over everything in the textbooks, found my own examples...felt really ready. Then I went and got tonsillitis last week after C2 Maths! So now just praying it goes away soon because I can't focus on anything atm :frown: teachers told me I burned out and so I've been ordered to do nothing, with little more than a week to go it's killing me haha.

How about yours? Hope everyone's is going well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending