The Student Room Group

Edexcel S3 - Wednesday 25th May AM 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ayman!
Give yourself a break; seems like you're working really hard for this exam. :smile:

I wanted to do a couple more papers today, finished 2011 just.

But it's probably one of the most boring things I've ever done :lol:

You expecting a 75/75 in S3? I think silly mistakes might just get me like using variance instead of standard deviation :frown:
Ok so Ch 5,
Correct me if Im wrong or something.

We either rank and find r_s straight away.

We either calculate pmcc from raw data using S1 formula.

We either rank hen use the other r_s formula including s_xx etc.

Is this all the cases? Also when do we use the last case?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Euclidean
I wanted to do a couple more papers today, finished 2011 just.

But it's probably one of the most boring things I've ever done :lol:

You expecting a 75/75 in S3? I think silly mistakes might just get me like using variance instead of standard deviation :frown:

I think i might be able to pull of an decent A 😂. Will make my life incredibly easy if I do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Ok so Ch 5,

Posted from TSR Mobile

i thought u just do spearmans, but if there are any tied ranks, use Sxx Syy etc.
I think i might be able to pull of an decent A 😂. Will make my life incredibly easy if I do!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is this going to be one of the modules that conteibutes to your AFM A*? I'm fairly happy with FP1 and M3 so I just need to get a mid-B on this and a mid-D on any two others and I'm sorted... ah the joys of A* criteria

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

If i get an A i will devote my life to god lol I need 80 ums to get into warwick ahaha
Original post by Krollo
Is this going to be one of the modules that conteibutes to your AFM A*? I'm fairly happy with FP1 and M3 so I just need to get a mid-B on this and a mid-D on any two others and I'm sorted... ah the joys of A* criteria

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep,
So basically i need 350/400 in M3-5 S3 cause then im gna put S1-3 and M3-5 in AFM which gives the A*. Then D1-2 in normal maths so i only need 80/200 or something and 5 ums in S4 which i will put FM.
Ok so Ch 5,

Posted from TSR Mobile

use the rank

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel the same, I'd like a good UMS for AFM but it's not really necessary. I think M4 and M5 will be better than S3/S4 tbh :u:

Original post by Krollo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would that be your first B and D ever? :wink:
Original post by Krollo
We need to work out 2a+3, clearly, so equivalently we need to find a. However, in (b) you just found an unbiased estimator for a based on the mean of the observations. Hopefully you can see how you can use the data they give you from there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:
Original post by tazza ma razza
If i get an A i will devote my life to god lol I need 80 ums to get into warwick ahaha

Are you doing Warwick Econ? :smile:
Original post by connorbarr
i thought u just do spearmans, but if there are any tied ranks, use Sxx Syy etc.

By Tied ranks we mean two values are the same?
? So PMCC tests doesn't come up in papers? Just spearmans using the two different formulas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
? So PMCC tests doesn't come up in papers? Just spearmans using the two different formulas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

PMCC tests have come up before, can't recall which papers, they were early though
We won't be asked to calculate a CI with the sample variance right? Because that would require the t distribution. Or can we estimate with z?
Original post by Euclidean
PMCC tests have come up before, can't recall which papers, they were early though

So the tests were just PMCC using S1 formulas then just do the normal c.v?

Posted from TSR Mobile

btw...check the spec. It'll never ask you to actually calculate from tied ranks - just requires you to know what to do if the situation came up.
Original post by Nikhilm
We won't be asked to calculate a CI with the sample variance right? Because that would require the t distribution. Or can we estimate with z?

variance CI is S4, shouldn't be asked tomorrow.
So the tests were just PMCC using S1 formulas then just do the normal c.v?

Yeah they gave you the Sxy business and just a case of plugging in to the simple formula from S1
Original post by economicss
Are you doing Warwick Econ? :smile:

acc + fin
Original post by coolguy123456
variance CI is S4, shouldn't be asked tomorrow.

No I mean calculating CI for pop. mean with s within the standard error as opposed sigma. if n is large then sample variance = sample pop, so I'm asking that could the s instead of sigma be used in a CI for pop mean?

Quick Reply

Latest