The Student Room Group

Impact of undergraduate university on research career?

Hi TSR,
I understand my predicament may be a bit of a luxury, but currently I'm in the fortunate position of choosing between Oxford, Imperial and Warwick for Mathematics and Computer Science joint undergraduate degrees. Currently I'm leaning towards Oxford for the 1-on-1 teaching, however from what I've seen the rankings seem to suggest that CompSci isn't their absolute strongest field. I currently intend to continue into research after my studies and I'm wondering to what extent will the university's reputation in the field affect my competitiveness in the future, as well as if it is worth it to base my decision on this factor.

Thank you for your time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by oniisanitstoobig
Hi TSR,
I understand my predicament may be a bit of a luxury, but currently I'm in the fortunate position of choosing between Oxford, Imperial and Warwick for Mathematics and Computer Science joint undergraduate degrees. Currently I'm leaning towards Oxford for the 1-on-1 teaching, however from what I've seen the rankings seem to suggest that CompSci isn't their absolute strongest field. I currently intend to continue into research after my studies and I'm wondering to what extent will the university's reputation in the field affect my competitiveness in the future, as well as if it is worth it to base my decision on this factor.

Thank you for your time.

Lol, you're splitting hairs.. I was expecting the standard RG vs non-RG but nah, you're comparing 3 of the nations best Maths departments. Pls oniisan, y u do dis?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Lol, you're splitting hairs.. I was expecting the standard RG vs non-RG but nah, you're comparing 3 of the nations best Maths departments. Pls oniisan, y u do dis?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol I just want to give myself the best chances at avoiding the real world for as long as possible. I'm afraid that by the time I'm applying to go to grad school there's going to be similar snobbery as what goes on in TSR: "hurr durr imperial or gtfo" that sort of thing.
Original post by oniisanitstoobig
Lol I just want to give myself the best chances at avoiding the real world for as long as possible. I'm afraid that by the time I'm applying to go to grad school there's going to be similar snobbery as what goes on in TSR: "hurr durr imperial or gtfo" that sort of thing.

Nah, no one cares at this level of uni tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They're all great. It's a toss up between Ox and IC imo. IC has great industrial links (industrial placement in third/fourth year depending on the length of degree) where many students work at places like ARM, Facebook, Google, Amazon, Bloomberg, Goldman Sachs etc if that's your sort of thing. Oxford for the international rep and I guess, social life. Both courses will give you great grad prospects.
Original post by yl95
They're all great. It's a toss up between Ox and IC imo. IC has great industrial links (industrial placement in third/fourth year depending on the length of degree) where many students work at places like ARM, Facebook, Google, Amazon, Bloomberg, Goldman Sachs etc if that's your sort of thing. Oxford for the international rep and I guess, social life. Both courses will give you great grad prospects.

Yeah but you could apply to those companies for summer internships regardless. It's not exactly a 'special link'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah but you could apply to those companies for summer internships regardless. It's not exactly a 'special link'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's good because the Department has actual close links with them and because DocSoc, the Computing Society, gets tonnes of sponsorship from them. These placements often have good conversions. Also, at IC they have weekly careers talks for the Dept from various companies such as the aforementioned.
Original post by yl95
It's good because the Department has actual close links with them and because DocSoc, the Computing Society, gets tonnes of sponsorship from them. These placements often have good conversions. Also, at IC they have weekly careers talks for the Dept from various companies such as the aforementioned.

That's the same with most unis tho. At the end of the day, imperial students have to apply for the positions as with any other student at any other uni.

But I will concede that there seem to be more Imperial students interested in legit tech companies than students from any other uni. Most others just seem to apply to the tech departments of investment banks.
That's the same with most unis tho. At the end of the day, imperial students have to apply for the positions as with any other student at any other uni.

But I will concede that there seem to be more Imperial students interested in legit tech companies than students from any other uni. Most others just seem to apply to the tech departments of investment banks.

You have a fair point but I argue that IC/Oxbridge students tend to be favoured by tech firms, Oxbridge for the obvious and IC for the more technical based degree. There goes a saying that the not so good ones end up at IBs for Tech and the good ones go to the actual top tech firms.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by yl95
You have a fair point but I argue that IC/Oxbridge students tend to be favoured by tech firms, Oxbridge for the obvious and IC for the more technical based degree. There goes a saying that the not so good ones end up at IBs for Tech and the good ones go to the actual top tech firms.

Doubt it tbh. I've seen a lot of Southampton grads at top tech firms, I don't think there's as much of a bias as you make out. Plus two people from the UK who have managed to land Google's arguably most prestigious entry-level job (Associate Product Manager) were from Durham and UCL respectively.

From what I've seen, top tech companies recruit across the top 10-15 CS departments here and then the rest of the recruits are either from the US or some lesser known european universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doubt it tbh. I've seen a lot of Southampton grads at top tech firms, I don't think there's as much of a bias as you make out. Plus two people from the UK who have managed to land Google's arguably most prestigious entry-level job (Associate Product Manager) were from Durham and UCL respectively.

From what I've seen, top tech companies recruit across the top 10-15 CS departments here and then the rest of the recruits are either from the US or some lesser known european universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure many from outside those three end up at top places but it doesn't really mean anything about there not being a 'wow factor' - obviously I've been speaking to only those at Imperial about it so my sample is biased but the best Depts will be more preferred.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending