The Student Room Group

2016 Official AQA New Spec AS Level Physics Paper 1 - 24th of May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iMacJack
What were the last two?

Electricity and photoelectric effect but they put their own spin on them with stopping power and a pipe in the circuit lol.
Original post by Dieselblue
How'd everyone do? The first 4 were easy, electricity being the hard one AGAIN. Especially that oven dammit,

Question 1:
K+ meson
u, anti-s
Lepton number is conserved 0=-1+1
3 electrons in that Uranium atom (4.8*10^-19)/(1.6*10^-19)= 3, isotopes are nuclei with the same proton number but different neutron number.
Charge was Proton No. * 1.6*10^-19

what did you guys get for the electricity question, especially the oven question?

228 V over the element I got.
For the AS resit

1:
What is an isotope (2) variant of a molecule with same no. protons different no. neutrons

Find the number of electrons (2) should be 3, as the new charge was +4.8e

Fill in the blanks for uranium decaying into neptunium (3) +1 onto proton no., keep mass no. the same, should be a beta-minus with 0 mass no., and -1 proton no., and an anti-electron neutrino. (Mass number is the number which is lower down, and proton number the one higher up).

Fairly simple

What is the process of an electron-positron pair being formed (1) pair production

Which quark structure shows a positive kaon (1) should be up, antistrange

Show that lepton number is conserved (2) it's zero before, the muon+ is an antilepton and neutrino is a lepton so 0 after too

What isn't conserved in the above interaction (K+ -> muon+ + neutrino) (1) strangeness

Fill in the table for a Positive Kaon, Positive Muon and a Neutrino, under the headings of Hadron, Meson, Charged, Baryon, Lepton (3)

A positive kaon can also decay into a positive pion and mystery particle X, identify X (3) I think it had to be a non-lepton, non-baryon, uncharged particle so must be a meson, I think I put neutral kaon or maybe a neutral pion

How does excitation occur (3) collision of electrons accelerated by p.d. within tube collides with orbital electrons of the mercury move up a discrete energy level and some other stuff i don't fully recall

How does excitation cause photoelectric emission in the UV spectrum or something like that(2)

How is visible light formed (2) powder or paint coating on inner walls of tube has different energy levels for it's electrons who are excited by the other photoelectrons which have the exact energy required to excite them to a specific energy level and leads to different photoelectrons emitted or whatever

Find the characteristic frequency and state a unit for photons with energy of 1MeV, got something x10^20 but this is easily checkable (2)

Maybe another part after this, I don't remember

4. What was this?

Draw a labelled circuit that would allow the student to do the test with the diode (3) I did a cell with a variable resistor as a potential divider in series with a voltmeter/fwd-bias diode (which are in parallel), and an ammeter in series

6 marker, how to do the test between OA (from I/V graph in stem of question, which was from 0.6v up assuming that's the correct point) Things it said to do were why a datalogger would be advantageous, safety precautions for the experiment, how many results and the interval, as well as how the data would be gathered

6. over question

Find either the peak-peak voltage or peak voltage for a 230V 12W power supply (my friends differ on this) (2?) It was either 230sqrt2 to get 325v or 650v to get the peak to peak

Find the heating effect (3) Did P = I x I x R, for R = 18 Ohms, P / V = I = 115/6, then multiply the current by either the peak voltage or rms voltage, to get 6200W or 4400W

Wires have resistance of 0.0150 Ohms every metre, 2 wires each of length 3.15m, why will the oven not reach the desired voltage of 230V (2)

Find the voltage reached by the heating element due to the wires (3) I think it was 228V

6. AC

What electrical element is shown by the the jump from P -> R (1) electromotive force I put

Find the value of this electrical element (1) They snuck in the scale of 2v/division so it should've been 6v if I remember correctly

Why does the line fall to PQ when the second switch is closed (2) There was the 18 Ohm resistor so it receives a portion of the p.d. or whatever

What is the current in the circuit when both switches are closed (2) I think it was 0.272727... = 0.27A = 5/18

Find the internal resistance of the battery (2 or 3) I got 21.6Ohms

7. Memory is faded

updating as I remember more
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dieselblue
How'd everyone do? The first 4 were easy, electricity being the hard one AGAIN. Especially that oven dammit,

Question 1:
K+ meson
u, anti-s
Lepton number is conserved 0=-1+1
3 electrons in that Uranium atom (4.8*10^-19)/(1.6*10^-19)= 3, isotopes are nuclei with the same proton number but different neutron number.
Charge was Proton No. * 1.6*10^-19

what did you guys get for the electricity question, especially the oven question?

Which paper was this, I don't remember a question like this in the new spec AS exam paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiwifruit99
Which paper was this, I don't remember a question like this in the new spec AS exam paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

me neither
Reply 345
Original post by kiwifruit99

Posted from TSR Mobile

This was from the AS resit with the old spec.
Reply 346
Paper was hard af

Was hoping for loads of mechanics (I've completed M1,2,3) but almost nothing came up.

Hoping for really low boundaries lol
Original post by Inam97
Paper was hard af

Was hoping for loads of mechanics (I've completed M1,2,3) but almost nothing came up.

Hoping for really low boundaries lol

I thought the same, the grade boundaries in the 1st year of the old spec was 65% for an A so I think it will be about the same, just speculation though
Reply 348
As a private candidate who has taught himself the new spec i hated that paper (If I can get a B I'd be really happy)
What strings did everyone pick? For the bungee jump q 6 mark
Reply 350
Where the melted chocolate the antinodes?
Original post by Inam97
Where the melted chocolate the antinodes?

yes
You guys scared me. I thought I missed like 2 pages out. Thanks god.
Original post by Questioness
You guys scared me. I thought I missed like 2 pages out. Thanks god.

lol sammeeee
for the melted chocolate could you put they were constructive interference spots?
Glad thats over.No physics for two weeks!!!!
Reply 356
Honestly after the specimen papers that one was great. Still hard but honestly I feel good. I think it started hard but ended easy?? Maybe because they left particles last hahah!! What did everyone get for that 5 marker for frequency????? I can't remember my answer but i'm sure I was wrong lol
It think i got 5×10^9
Original post by haes
Honestly after the specimen papers that one was great. Still hard but honestly I feel good. I think it started hard but ended easy?? Maybe because they left particles last hahah!! What did everyone get for that 5 marker for frequency????? I can't remember my answer but i'm sure I was wrong lol

mine was somthing x10 to the -9. cant remeber exactly tho, did you do find the wavelength and use the wave speed equation?
Original post by not_lucas1
for the melted chocolate could you put they were constructive interference spots?

it was 2 marks so probably get one mark for saying constructive interference.

Quick Reply

Latest