The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA1 - 24 May 2016 - RESIT [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Is stangeness not also conserved with a neutral pion
Original post by CourtlyCanter
What do you mean?
K^1 (strangeness +1) ==> pi^1 (strangeness +0) + X (strangeness MUST be +1)

The only particle with a strangeness of +1 and charge of 0 is K^0 so shouldn't X be K^0 ?

The equation for K+ decay is:
K^+ ---> pi^+ +pi^0

There are many decays that happen to a K^+ (according to Wiki) but only one that forms a pi^+ and only one other product the pi^0

However, K^0 may be possible but I just put what I knew from the textbook!
Original post by Shta15
What did you tick when classifying particles.
I ticked hadron and meson for the kaon
And the others were a lepton

I did the same
No ticks for Baryon column
Original post by Goldfly
Sounds right to me. What about the next power one?

Which one? I cant really remember the paper
Overall how does everyone think the grade boundaries are going to be on this one?
Original post by Lazarus26
I got 4400W
:/

Me as well! :smile:
image.png

It's Pi0.

I also got 4400 and 34.something

3.6 for the very last question
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by emsieMC
Overall how does everyone think the grade boundaries are going to be on this one?

Hard to say really. I'd say about 55 for A +/-5
Think they will be low or high? I think because of the electricity questions they will be a bit low
Original post by Goldfly
What were the two reasons to have a low resistance? I got that one was to provide a high enough current for the oven to function but I was unsure about the other one.

I think I put-
1. Total resistance in the circuit is smaller, meaning the current is bigger as V(EMF) is constant. V=IR, when I is greater, the V across the heating element is also greater.

2.Since V=IR, Heating element in oven shares a larger proportion of voltage as its R occupies a larger proportion of the total resistance in the circuit. Since P=VI the power generated across heating element should also be greater.

What do you guys think of these answers? Are they okay?
(edited 7 years ago)
It is a pio as strangeness isnt conserved in decay (weak interaction)
Original post by Einstein1997
image.png

It's Pi0.

I also got 4400 and 34.something

I got 4400 and 34 I rounded to 34 (as everything we were given in the question was 2sf) so we're probably both right! (Yay marks!!)
Original post by emsieMC
Think they will be low or high? I think because of the electricity questions they will be a bit low

Maybe you're right. They might allow it to us this year as this is the last exam of the same specification :smile:
which question did yo guys get 4400 and how? I got 8800 on the first power question
For the rms voltage over the heating element i ended getting 229.5V as 0.5v lost to resistance of wires, got a current of about 19A.

Pretty sure i messed up somewhere :frown:
Original post by Jonah1958
For the rms voltage over the heating element i ended getting 229.5V as 0.5v lost to resistance of wires, got a current of about 19A.

i got the same ! im sure we are right
Original post by Jonah1958

Got the same current. Don't remember the voltage though
Original post by RUNSran
which question did yo guys get 4400 and how? I got 8800 on the first power question

I got that at first but im pretty sure u had to use 230V rms instead of the peak voltage so i got 4410 2nd time round
Original post by Mustang Wanted
Maybe you're right. They might allow it to us this year as this is the last exam of the same specification :smile:

There's another resit PHYA1 in June 2017.
Reply 199
Original post by emsieMC

I think 53 +-1 for A
And 48+-1 for B

Quick Reply

Latest