The Student Room Group

2016 Official AQA New Spec AS Level Physics Paper 1 - 24th of May 2016

Scroll to see replies

I said b for lift and d for bungee jump for 6 marker
Original post by Shk
What did people say for the 6 marker??

A not suitable for either too brittle
B suitable for lift as it has a high UTS, high breaking stress, and can experience some plastic flow under periods of high stress so it wont snap straight away
C suitable for bungee as it has a relatively high UTS and breaking stress, but also exhbiits a lot of plastic flow so it can stretch
D not suitable for any as its yield point is too low so it will stretch and give too easily
I thought it was just one wavelength between the 3 antinodes. Cus if there's 3 nodes or 3 antinodes then it's gonna be 1 wavelength. Don't quote me on that

Posted from TSR Mobile
did anyone get 9.00 times ten 23???
what was the rest energy again
Reply 384
Original post by JemFink
I thought it was just one wavelength between the 3 antinodes. Cus if there's 3 nodes or 3 antinodes then it's gonna be 1 wavelength. Don't quote me on that

Same I just used 12cm as the wavelength

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by haes
That's what i did but i rounded to 12cm lol.. But because it was 5 marks i think we had to do something else :/ unless marks were awarded for significant figures..

my teacher said (from what he thought the question was) we had to times the answer we got by three because they wanted the 3rd resonant frequency because the stationary wave was divided into 3 loops. Don't know if that's right tho
I was expecting much worse for the 6 marker, i put B and D. B had highest breaking stress and D didnt need a particulary high breaking stress (only carrying a person rather than lift) and reaches elastic limit relatively soon and therefore stretches a fair bit (good for bungee chord)
Reply 387
Original post by monoman
The wavelength wasn't 12. It was actually 6cm because use need the of one wave not the 3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wasn't it 3 half waves and therefore 8cm for one whole wave? (I wrote this in my working out somewhere just in case 12 was wrong)
Original post by monoman
The wavelength wasn't 12. It was actually 6cm because use need the of one wave not the 3

Posted from TSR Mobile

distance between adjacent nodes is 1/2 wavelength and the distance between adjacent nodes was 6 approx so the wavelength = 12 approx
Original post by kingaaran
Double slit is not a practical - it can easily be asked to be explained rather than described.

Plus I'm not sure from where everyone is getting this idea that practicals won't be tested in paper 1. You're right in saying data ANALYSIS is in paper 2, but discussing the set up, limitations and conclusions from a practical can appear in either paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmmm... I guess we know now. :tongue:
Original post by haes
I didn't get a 10^-9 but yeah i used that equation after measuring the length with a ruler

Did you divide by 100 to get the length in m? And did you measure from the first black dot to the last one? That's what I did, I might have just remembered my answer wrong lol
Original post by TheKevinFang
I got f = c/wavelength = 3x10^8 / 0.118m (11.8cm?)

Would that be correct?

I got this answer as well, yay!!!
Original post by TheKevinFang
I got f = c/wavelength = 3x10^8 / 0.118m (11.8cm?)

Would that be correct?

I got that at first but then realised it was 5 marks so that seemed to generic. I then found the waverlength to be 0.24 as is was the second harmonic then subbed that in getting 1.25 x10 to the power of 9.
Reply 393
Original post by maximo17000
Did you divide by 100 to get the length in m? And did you measure from the first black dot to the last one? That's what I did, I might have just remembered my answer wrong lol

I divided by 100 but surely a frequency is much larger than that?
Original post by yorkshire_tea_
I was expecting much worse for the 6 marker, i put B and D. B had highest breaking stress and D didnt need a particulary high breaking stress (only carrying a person rather than lift) and reaches elastic limit relatively soon and therefore stretches a fair bit (good for bungee chord)

I put B and D as well!!!
Original post by ciera1999
I said b for lift and d for bungee jump for 6 marker

i said that
Original post by Exavior
I put B and D as well!!!

nah man the bit before the curve is the limit of proportionality so the thing will deform under little stress. It's C because the limit of proportionality is much higher and it still stretches but will return back to its original shape.
Original post by Exavior
I put B and D as well!!!

same! what did you put for the property and explanation for A
A was brittle.
For the force on the airplane I got 850N.
Last question was a positron and an Electron neutrino to conserve charge and lepton number I think. Also weak interaction
Why were 2 photons emitted? Pair production to conserve momentum and energy.
Isotope has the same proton number for different amount of neutrons.
The chocolate one. Melted chocolate produced at areas on Destructive interferenece at Nodes I think not sure
Original post by medicapplicant
same! what did you put for the property and explanation for A

I put A was brittle as it didn't experience any plastic deformation before breaking

Quick Reply

Latest