The Student Room Group

The UK is short of 8 parliaments......

I was comparing the UK to USA, Canada, and Australia. The USA has 350 million people and 50 states. That is roughly 6 million people per state. A US (or Australian or Canadian state) is like Scotland, with own law making assemblies and legal codes.

If you divide the UK up into 6 million lumps that equates to 10 state parliaments - we only have two with Law making powers: Scotland and Northern Ireland (Wales has no law making ability).

This means we have a poltical lack of 8 parliaments.

You might think this is not important, but if you look at the list of the top 20 countries (by wealth) they are ALL either SMALL or FEDERATIONS.

You get to near the bottom of the list and you get to the first centralised state - The UK - based on the London elite. As a result, people feel disfranchised and distant from their MP. I believe the UK got too big around about the time we joined the EU and the Miners Strike.

It was about this time that the different "states" within the UK began to pull very different ways.

So what would the 8 states be - Well I think we actually need 9?

I guess - you'd split it North V South:

Cornwall, Wessex, London and Kent (all historic kingdoms) in the south.

In the North:
Lancashire, Yorkshire, Midlands and Northumbria and the swing states of East Anglia and Wales (yeah thats 10 - close enough)

What are your views?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
We need less bureaucracy, not more.

We are a small country, geographically, we have no need for such a set up just because other countries have it.
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
We need less bureaucracy, not more.

We are a small country, geographically, we have no need for such a set up just because other countries have it.

I've never hear of an argument where someone thinks the number of blades of grass or how many hills a place has is of more importance than the number of people.

I would suggest to you that you are not thinking at all straight.

You do know that localism in business is the fastest growing and most popular segment of industry. People do actually want smaller.

Why on earth would you want a bureaucracy set up to run textile mills in manchester while you are a oyster shop in devon?

You have not thought your counter argument through at all well.

You do know that Norway, Sweden and Demark all have "languages" that are understood by each other. They could easily be one country is they so wish (they even have a "Nordic Council" for some affairs). However, they KNOW (as does Ireland and Holland, Finland, Iceland and Belgium and Luxenbourg, that its miles better to be a small nation under an umbrella, then be in a big country paying and being the mug holding the umbrella.

We are poorer than all of them, yes even Ireland (on per capita basis, which lets face it is the only thing that counts).
Original post by FredOrJohn
I was comparing the UK to USA, Canada, and Australia. The USA has 350 million people and 50 states. That is roughly 6 million people per state. A US (or Australian or Canadian state) is like Scotland, with own law making assemblies and legal codes.

If you divide the UK up into 6 million lumps that equates to 10 state parliaments - we only have two with Law making powers: Scotland and Northern Ireland (Wales has no law making ability).

This means we have a poltical lack of 8 parliaments.

You might think this is not important, but if you look at the list of the top 20 countries (by wealth) they are ALL either SMALL or FEDERATIONS.

You get to near the bottom of the list and you get to the first centralised state - The UK - based on the London elite. As a result, people feel disfranchised and distant from their MP. I believe the UK got too big around about the time we joined the EU and the Miners Strike.

It was about this time that the different "states" within the UK began to pull very different ways.

So what would the 8 states be - Well I think we actually need 9?

I guess - you'd split it North V South:

Cornwall, Wessex, London and Kent (all historic kingdoms) in the south.

In the North:
Lancashire, Yorkshire, Midlands and Northumbria and the swing states of East Anglia and Wales (yeah thats 10 - close enough)

What are your views?

nerd.

and nice logic you have.
Reply 4
Original post by craymonDAX
nerd.

and nice logic you have.

...thanks and its ten more seats round the big table at the EU (if we bother stay in)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending