The Student Room Group

2016 Official AQA New Spec AS Level Physics Paper 1 - 24th of May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Thechocolate melty things were nodes. Not antinodes.
Reply 401
Original post by Jakewww
Sticks with the general trend of A levels now tbh, more about applying your knowledge instead of being told what to do

Yh but they need to find better applications to use. Its supposed to be theoretical, we're studying physics not applied physics!
Original post by asinha10
nah man the bit before the curve is the limit of proportionality so the thing will deform under little stress. It's C because the limit of proportionality is much higher and it still stretches but will return back to its original shape.

That's what I got. It cant have been B as it had a low Tensile Strain so it wouldn't be able to be constantly stretched and pulled up and down.
Reply 403
Do you think I'll still get 4 marks if I said C and D for the 6 marker if I gave good reasons?
Original post by Logic4Life
A was brittle.
For the force on the airplane I got 850N.
Last question was a positron and an Electron neutrino to conserve charge and lepton number I think. Also weak interaction
Why were 2 photons emitted? Pair production to conserve momentum and energy.
Isotope has the same proton number for different amount of neutrons.
The chocolate one. Melted chocolate produced at areas on Destructive interferenece at Nodes I think not sure

I put that they were at nodes as well. It didn't really make sense I originally thought they had to be antinodes where the heat would be greatest to melt them, but I changed it to nodes because they looked like nodes?Idk if its right
Original post by medicapplicant
my teacher said (from what he thought the question was) we had to times the answer we got by three because they wanted the 3rd resonant frequency because the stationary wave was divided into 3 loops. Don't know if that's right tho

Hmm why wouldnt they ask for the third harmonic if they wanted it? The way I interpreted it they wanted the basic frequency of the wave, which is a constant value
If I measured the wavelength as 6cm and got the correct answer using 6cm, would I get working marks for that?
Original post by RKM21

I put they were nodes also. If you drew the second harmonic you could see that there was NODisplacement (Node) where the chocolate melted.
Original post by haes
Do you think I'll still get 4 marks if I said C and D for the 6 marker if I gave good reasons?

Probably, for me it was a choice for the elevator between B and C so I took a guess. D is right tho I think :smile:
Original post by Exavior
I put that they were at nodes as well. It didn't really make sense I originally thought they had to be antinodes where the heat would be greatest to melt them, but I changed it to nodes because they looked like nodes?Idk if its right

Na melted chocolate at antinodes, since they are points of maximum displacement
Nodes have no displacement and therefore no particle vibration
If theres no vibration, it cant heat up
Original post by monoman
The wavelength wasn't 12. It was actually 6cm because use need the of one wave not the 3

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 6 aswell because where the chocolate melted were the maximas, one maxima to the next is one wavelength
Reply 411
Original post by asinha10
nah man the bit before the curve is the limit of proportionality so the thing will deform under little stress. It's C because the limit of proportionality is much higher and it still stretches but will return back to its original shape.

C wouldn't return back to its original shape necessarily, it was past its elasticity point. So i put D, you want a bungee cord to stretch a lot and it was a similar shape to a rubber band which is essentially what a bungee cord is.
Original post by haes

I'd imagine you could get 6/6, I think it's the sort of thing that it doesn't matter what you put as long as your reasoning is sound
did anyone get 0.32 percent lol
Original post by Exavior
I put A was brittle as it didn't experience any plastic deformation before breaking

alright i put Brittle and said it would snap without any noticeable yield but i dont know if the explanation i put was right :/
Original post by Lola1244
did anyone get 0.32 percent lol

The answer was -25% i think
I got 90 percent literally had no idea how to calculate that one :/
Original post by RKM21

I put they were nodes also. If you drew the second harmonic you could see that there was NODisplacement (Node) where the chocolate melted.

Same here!!
Original post by HasanRaza1
The answer was -25% i think

oh okay :frown:
That's what I got. It cant have been B as it had a low Tensile Strain so it wouldn't be able to be constantly stretched and pulled up and down.

sorry i meant the the bungee cord should be c.
the lift should be b as its limit of proportionality is much higher compared to othersso it can hold more stress. As its lifting heavy loads, you dont want it to stretch too much or go over the limit. Once it goes over the limit, it won't return back to its original form.

Quick Reply

Latest