The Student Room Group

Edexcel S3 - Wednesday 25th May AM 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tazza ma razza
you sure?

Yup, there's a whole other formula for that, and we are only required to calculate CI for the pop mean.
Good luck guys!
Original post by Nikhilm
Yup, there's a whole other formula for that, and we are only required to calculate CI for the pop mean.

ie x bar or mew?
Original post by Nikhilm

That's what i thought and was really surprised at this question.
Q3 part d june 13 R, can someone explain the explanation?
ie x bar or mew?

xx
(edited 7 years ago)
anyone got the 2015 IAL papers ?, i think physicandmathtutor removed it from the website
Original post by economicss
Please could anyone clarify when we quote the parameters and n,p etc in hypotheses for goodness of fit and when we don't? Thanks :smile:

Original post by economicss
So if we have to show a probability is 0.3 for example, then we wouldn't include this in the hypotheses and we would just say 'binomial distribution is a suitable fit' but if we were explicitly told 'the teacher thinks the distribution can be modelled by B(20,0.05) for example then we would write B(20,0.05) in the hypotheses, is that right?Thanks :smile:

Yes.

Original post by econam
Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 11.52.29.png
Does anyone have any ideas for part c? Much appreciated:smile:

Clearly you need to work out the value of 2α+32\alpha + 3 but earlier on in the question you were asked to find kXˉk\bar{X} being an unbiased estimator of α\alpha. What is Xˉ\bar{X} for this sample? What is the unbiased estimator of α\alpha, hence, what is 2α+32\alpha +3?
Original post by Nikhilm
Mu; Confidence intervals are always for pop parameters, therefore Xbar cannot have a CI (it can have a critical region as in hypothesis tests however)

sorry, i played and watched too much pokemon as a kid :smile: but i get what you mean - thanks for clarification :smile:
Original post by Zacken
Yes.

Clearly you need to work out the value of 2α+32\alpha + 3 but earlier on in the question you were asked to find kXˉk\bar{X} being an unbiased estimator of α\alpha. What is Xˉ\bar{X} for this sample? What is the unbiased estimator of α\alpha, hence, what is 2α+32\alpha +3?

cooooool you sitting this exam btw big man?
Original post by physicsmaths

in part b you found that there is apositive correlation between the population and the number of council employees, therefore if the RANK of population increase, the RANK of employees increase. But in part c, you found that there is not any LINEAR correlation between them, which mean the increase in population does not necessary result in increase in number employees
Original post by anndz3007
anyone got the 2015 IAL papers ?, i think physicandmathtutor removed it from the website

Edexcel website. Go on it, qualifications -> international a-levels -> mathematics -> etc...

From S1, you should know that pmcc tests linear correlation, whereas spearmans tests just correlation, i.e could be quadratically correlated or w/e. So if pmcc fails but spearman works, it means there's a non-linear correlation.

cooooool you sitting this exam btw big man?

Yep. IAL, though.
Original post by Zacken
Edexcel website. Go on it, qualifications -> international a-levels -> mathematics -> etc...

From S1, you should know that pmcc tests linear correlation, whereas spearmans tests just correlation, i.e could be quadratically correlated or w/e. So if pmcc fails but spearman works, it means there's a non-linear correlation.

Yep. IAL, though.

how do you know which one works and which one fails tho?
Original post by Zacken

Yep. IAL, though.

awesome stuff mate :smile: you not in the uk then?
how do you know which one works and which one fails tho?

Previous two parts. The first part showed you that spearman > 0 from the hypothesis test and the other one showed pmcc = 0 in the hypothesis test.

So spearman correlation but not pmcc correlation.
awesome stuff mate :smile: you not in the uk then?

Naaah, live in Mauritius. I'll see if I can do model answers for the UK S3 paper, though.
Capture d’écran 2016-05-24 à 12.23.04.png

This was in the mark scheme of a chi squared test. Can someone why there is no followthrough?? It makes ZERO sense! Like what if I did a calculation mistake? What does my calculation mistake have to do with my ability to deduce/write a conclusion to a test? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH EXAM BOARDS??? Like this isn't the first time where they punish you fifteen million marks for small mistakes or mistakes that are unrelated.
Original post by Zacken
Yes.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Zacken
Previous two parts. The first part showed you that spearman > 0 from the hypothesis test and the other one showed pmcc = 0 in the hypothesis test.

So spearman correlation but not pmcc correlation.

cheers, q4d on the june 13r paper, what is this? it aint contingency **** so what is it?
just seeing if it fits something? i got it right but i just guessed it the whole way lol
Original post by gagafacea1
Capture d’écran 2016-05-24 à 12.23.04.png

This was in the mark scheme of a chi squared test. Can someone why there is no followthrough?? It makes ZERO sense! Like what if I did a calculation mistake? What does my calculation mistake have to do with my ability to deduce/write a conclusion to a test? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH EXAM BOARDS??? Like this isn't the first time where they punish you fifteen million marks for small mistakes or mistakes that are unrelated.

Which paper?

Quick Reply

Latest