The Student Room Group

Cufflinks - how to sit at a desk with them

So pretty much every time I wear cufflinks, I get annoyed at how they interfere while working. I always have to twist the ends of the shirt so that the cufflinks do not lie underneath my wrist.

Anyone else noticed this or am I doing something wrong here?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by inhuman
So pretty much every time I wear cufflinks, I get annoyed at how they interfere while working. I always have to twist the ends of the shirt so that the cufflinks do not lie underneath my wrist.

Erm this may or may not help- but get the cufflinks that are made of elastic thread? ( the ones that come with shirts?) Maybe that'll help? Because they aren't made of metal and they still do the job just fine!! I have a lot of guy friends who used to get this problem and they sorted it out using the elastic ones :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by CleverSquirrel
Erm this may or may not help- but get the cufflinks that are made of elastic thread? ( the ones that come with shirts?) Maybe that'll help? Because they aren't made of metal and they still do the job just fine!! I have a lot of guy friends who used to get this problem and they sorted it out using the elastic ones :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure, but that doesn't help me with all the metal ones I have currently. I do have one that is essentially just thread and that's fine. But I was more thinking about metal ones and if this is common or not.
Original post by inhuman
Sure, but that doesn't help me with all the metal ones I have currently. I do have one that is essentially just thread and that's fine. But I was more thinking about metal ones and if this is common or not.

Hmmm I see, how do you have so many?

It is common!! They complain about it all the time- one of my Friends just ends up taking them off and sticking them in his pocket!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know what you mean! It can be reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally annoying, but they look so good. I had a shop around, and managed to find some that had a bit more of a 'bend' in the stem which helped...

David (Enquiries, Wrexham Glyndwr University)
i am wearing my lovely metal 'links right now... as we speak !!! they are not actually touching the desk because the keyboard is at the edge...

it is a simple adjustment to the cuff to ensure that the 'links are not under your wrist...

i found a pic:

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Hmmm I see, how do you have so many?

It is common!! They complain about it all the time- one of my Friends just ends up taking them off and sticking them in his pocket!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I like them, so many I got as presents.

And yes, that is what I am doing at the moment :P
Reply 7
Original post by the bear
i am wearing my lovely metal 'links right now... as we speak !!! they are not actually touching the desk because the keyboard is at the edge...

it is a simple adjustment to the cuff to ensure that the 'links are not under your wrist...

Simple?

My shirts just seem to keep on turning til the cuff is back next to the wrist or almost under it...what's this trick?
Original post by inhuman
Simple?

My shirts just seem to keep on turning til the cuff is back next to the wrist or almost under it...what's this trick?

it may be the quality of the shirt ? i am rocking a genuine Ben Sherman™ number...
Reply 9
it may be the quality of the shirt ? i am rocking a genuine Ben Sherman™ number...

I have a collection of high-end products including Hugo and Ryan. It is most certainly not the quality of what I am wearing.
Original post by inhuman
I have a collection of high-end products including Hugo and Ryan. It is most certainly not the quality of what I am wearing.

it may in that case be the type of wrist you have. my wrists are powerful and hairy ?
Reply 11
it may in that case be the type of wrist you have. my wrists are powerful and hairy ?

Eugh.

I have started using a powerball again. Maybe that will help.
Original post by inhuman

As you put your wrists down to the desk, make sure they are twisted so that the lower edge of the cufflink, ie the inside/lower surface/peg is positioned face down to the desk and touches down first. Then the weight of your arms/hands relaxing onto the desk surface twists the shirt material so that the cufflink sits comfortably on the outside of your wrist, rather than underneath it, and the feature face of the link faces upwards. You can even twist your wrists further round to further relax tension in the sirt material if you want.

It soon becomes second nature just to flick your wrists outwards slightly so the links sit flat beside your wrist rather than under it. The feeling of the weight on the wrist is a feature of wearing cufflinks.
Reply 13
Original post by threeportdrift
As you put your wrists down to the desk, make sure they are twisted so that the lower edge of the cufflink, ie the inside/lower surface/peg is positioned face down to the desk and touches down first. Then the weight of your arms/hands relaxing onto the desk surface twists the shirt material so that the cufflink sits comfortably on the outside of your wrist, rather than underneath it, and the feature face of the link faces upwards. You can even twist your wrists further round to further relax tension in the sirt material if you want.

It soon becomes second nature just to flick your wrists outwards slightly so the links sit flat beside your wrist rather than under it. The feeling of the weight on the wrist is a feature of wearing cufflinks.

Oh yea, that does seem to work!

Thank you!
Original post by inhuman
I like them, so many I got as presents.

And yes, that is what I am doing at the moment :P

Ahh okay Hahahaha I am guilty of that! I'm always giving cufflinks as presents- nice and easy Presents!!!

Ahh good good! Don't you lose them?🤔

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Ahh okay Hahahaha I am guilty of that! I'm always giving cufflinks as presents- nice and easy Presents!!!

Ahh good good! Don't you lose them?🤔

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have lost one pair, but that was while travelling.
Consider wearing them like so?

Original post by inhuman
I have lost one pair, but that was while travelling.

Damn! Was it a nice pair? Some cufflinks are soooo nice looking ngl!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Damn! Was it a nice pair? Some cufflinks are soooo nice looking ngl!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was my first pair so it was a bit saddening, but they weren't particularly fancy.
Original post by inhuman
It was my first pair so it was a bit saddening, but they weren't particularly fancy.

Awww no!!! :console:
That does suck :/

Ah okay I see!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending