The Student Room Group

Official OCR Physics A G481 24th May June 2016

Scroll to see replies

This exam was actually quite alright, but how on earth do people finish in time? Everyone I spoke to in person said they ran out of time and left questions unfinished :|

I think I got 48-49/60, hopefully that's an A :s-smilie:
Reply 141
Original post by ludd-sama
What did you guys draw for the Force time graph on the drag question?

its constant at 0N from t=10s, though im unsure if the time before is an exponential decrease or an inverse exponential decrease
I did an exponential decrease for the graph as D is proportional to v^2 so if you minus this D from the constant weight the resultant is an exponential decrease I think
Reply 143
Original post by cookie_raider01
yes exactly that

well clearly there's a difference between sitting on an air cushion/seat than sitting on bricks.... to make this difference more obvious, try throwing your arse on one of each :biggrin: i'm sure one would hurt more than the other right?
Original post by sqr00t
well clearly there's a difference between sitting on an air cushion/seat than sitting on bricks.... to make this difference more obvious, try throwing your arse on one of each :biggrin: i'm sure one would hurt more than the other right?

no same feeling :/
Reply 145
Original post by RBoss
I put surface area of downwards face of the parachutist, and air density instead of weight, due to some odd way in which the question was worded of something

i was doubting myself to put down weight or not so i decided not to put down weight.
and i only put down the surface area perpendicular to the line of action of the drag force.
I'm so pissed with that extension question. I believe the answer is 23mm, but I decided to divide by four at the end :/
Reply 147
Original post by RBoss
Did you say that the area had to be re-calculated after every weight addition? I didn't in the end but I guess the aluminium stretches with added weight

actually, i believe it is assumed that the area is constant. because aluminium is a rather brittle material (depending on its form, you wouldnt see aluminium as a ductile material anyways). so that means that until the sample breaks, then it still obeys hooke's law like behaviour as the elastic limit has not been exceeded. a brittle material is when theres little to no plastic region, so it would break at its elastic limit which would be the maximum stress.
Reply 148
Original post by RBoss
Did you say that the area had to be re-calculated after every weight addition? I didn't in the end but I guess the aluminium stretches with added weight

no, the area does not have to be recalculated after every weight addition. aluminium is a material that has little to no plastic deformation
Reply 149
Original post by 09johnsonda
Extension would decrease as the force increased and young modulus is constant so strain must be less because stress Is higher and young modulus must stay the same so as strain is less extension must be less

my brother, newton's third law pairs, the upwards acceleration is coupled with a downwards reaction force, and it is the reaction force which the cables experience, which would cause an extension.
Reply 150
It was such an easy paper but I lost so many marks because I didnt get to do the last parts of the last question and the aluminium experiment thing.

How many marks was it for the finding the force constant or something experiment with the aluminium, and how many marks for the last questions from the extension question to the end? Thanks
Reply 151
Original post by graciepi
I did an exponential decrease for the graph as D is proportional to v^2 so if you minus this D from the constant weight the resultant is an exponential decrease I think

i was thinking in terms of each points on the vt graph, since the gradient is maximum at earlier times, that means the deceleration is maximum, and this gradient decreases quickly at first, but slowly after, so it would be exponential decrease until flattening.
Reply 152
Original post by Reda2
It was such an easy paper but I lost so many marks because I didnt get to do the last parts of the last question and the aluminium experiment thing.

How many marks was it for the finding the force constant or something experiment with the aluminium, and how many marks for the last questions from the extension question to the end? Thanks

3 marks for the experiment

Second to last question was 3 or 4 marks I think and the very last question was 2
Reply 153
Original post by sqr00t
i was doubting myself to put down weight or not so i decided not to put down weight.
and i only put down the surface area perpendicular to the line of action of the drag force.

That's a better way to phrase it - I just wrote down the first thing which sprang to mind because of the time rush. You had to state 2 things though
Reply 154
Original post by cookie_raider01
no same feeling :/

aye, so if we jump from 10 meters into water we would survive.
and if we jumped from 10 meters onto concrete floor, we would survive.
Reply 155
Original post by RBoss
That's a better way to phrase it - I just wrote down the first thing which sprang to mind because of the time rush. You had to state 2 things though

I don't think weight is a typically accepted answer, usually it's velocity, cross-sectional area, air density/temperature and surface texture I think
Original post by _MAT_
I don't think weight is a typically accepted answer, usually it's velocity, cross-sectional area, air density/temperature and surface texture I think

is there an unofficial MS for this?
Reply 157
Original post by Yougo132
I'm so pissed with that extension question. I believe the answer is 23mm, but I decided to divide by four at the end :/

i just wrote everything out like YM= (F divided by 4 for each cable/x-sectional Area of each cable)/(extension of a cable/32) then did math rearrangement to get 0.02325 or something, then divide by 10^-3 to get 23.3mm
Reply 158
Original post by _MAT_
3 marks for the experiment

Second to last question was 3 or 4 marks I think and the very last question was 2

Thank you, do you remember the marks for the question where you had to find the time as well?

And if you finished on time, how do you do it?
Reply 159
Original post by neyjunior
is there an unofficial MS for this?

It's a question that has come up before

And some of the answers are discussed on the previous pages

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending