The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology Unit 1 17/05 & Unit 2 23/05 - Official Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by patrickbates
Guys what will we need to get in each paper (new spec) for an A overall in terms of marks??

43 - 45 per paper, but you can get 60 in one and 30 in the other and get an A

this is the old spec boundaries tho, so may change
I wrote about divorce and criticised it with Charles Murray and the introduction of Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit and how they give parents more disposable income to spend on children/food.
Reply 942
who did the culture and identity paper? and what did you write for the 20 marker on globalisation?
I did Cuture and Identity; for the 20 marker I set it out like this

P1 - Hall and 'cultural supermarket effect' + Hybrid identities and evaluated it with Marxism
P2 - Ritzer's theory of McDonaldisation and evaluated it with cultural relativism/poststructuralism
P3 - Gender being a more significant impact and evaluated it with some study saying not one factor is more important than another
P4 - Conclusion saying that not one factor is more significant than another
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 944
[QUOTE=StructuralistB;65111407]I did Cuture and Identity; for the 20 marker I set it out like this

P1 - Hall and 'cultural supermarket effect' + Hybrid identities and evaluated it with Marxism
P2 - Ritzer's theory of McDonaldisation and evaluated it with cultural relativism/poststructuralism
P3 - Gender being a more significant impact and evaluated it with some study saying not one factor is more important than another
P4 - Conclusion saying that not one factor is more significant than another
if you talk about homogenisation is that goodd? cause idid that and then linked it with mcdonaldisation
Original post by Helfus
So, good 20 marker wasn't it?

What did you put for the ten marker? My first point was liberalization of divorce laws mean children are now more likely to live in SPF and RF. My second point was about increased child protection.

I put that for my ten marker

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi just done the exam now it went ok
Here is what I put im not sure if they are right or not could someone help me to see how many marks I've got thanks
1) ethical issues-
•informed consent-covert or experiment s
•sensitive questions- unstructured going off topic or structured asking Qs and you can't skip

2) 16 mark questions-advantages of official stats
•cheap and easy to get
•advantages and disadvantages of soft and hard data
can be manipulated and some people might not include data that doesn't comply with hypotheses

8) serial monogamy- series of relationships with one exclusive person at a time

9)reasons for exploitation of women in the family
triple shift/dual burden
expressive roles- might want to go to work but oppressed
10) reasons why women have kids later
•feminism
careers
technology- abortions,contraception

11) government policies that affect childhood today
•China's one child policy- causes lonely kids and beanpole fams
child protection laws- kids can't work til 16 and school leaving age is 16- protects kids and causes childhood to be extended than earlier in history

12- essay on Marxist and the family-
Feminist views, new life perspective view,Marxist view, Marxist feminist view, Chester and neo-conventional family, stats, Murdock,parsons, dual labour, triple shift, Ann Oakley etc didn't get to conclude ran out of time

Sorry it was long your help would be appreciated what did eveyone else write?
How did you guys find the 16 mark for research methods- I loved it, it's better than vague interviews!
Old spec what do u need for an A education sociology
Original post by Chloeexoxo
Here is what I put im not sure if they are right or not could someone help me to see how many marks I've got thanks
1) ethical issues-
•sensitive questions- unstructured going off topic or structured asking Qs and you can't skip

•cheap and easy to get
can be manipulated and some people might not include data that doesn't comply with hypotheses

triple shift/dual burden
•feminism
careers

child protection laws- kids can't work til 16 and school leaving age is 16- protects kids and causes childhood to be extended than earlier in history

Feminist views, new life perspective view,Marxist view, Marxist feminist view, Chester and neo-conventional family, stats, Murdock,parsons, dual labour, triple shift, Ann Oakley etc didn't get to conclude ran out of time

For official stats you only write advantages you dont get marks for disadvantages thats what we were taught
1) ethical issues-

•cheap and easy to get

triple shift/dual burden
•feminism
careers

I would say roughly around the 40 range- wd tbh.

4 mark- deception, 'going native'
16 mark- studies such as Crime Survey, Bristol Health and Lifestyle and the Census- talked about their advantages and disadvantages and linked to whether or not official statistics is effective for means as a sociological research
2 mark- left that out as I didn't revise key words
6 mark- feminism, women's increased work independence(and financial) and secularisation(how religion has a less impact, religion emphasises on pro-creation blah blah)
The 10 mark- I talked about national insurance(children can't get it until they turn 16) and child benefits(how it's given to parents and not children)
Marxist essay- I did quite bad..
Original post by UnoGambino
For official stats you only write advantages you dont get marks for disadvantages thats what we were taught

But the question said 'Evaluate' which you need to talk about both- you need to analysis so you need the disadvantages.
any unofficial mark scheme going around? :smile:
Original post by sail999
Outline 2 ways government policies affect the experience of childhood today. (10m)
What did you guys put for this question?

My first point was about compulsory schooling/raising of leaving age. I said that it affected their childhood because it allowed children to be in school for longer which protected them from working at an early age which happened in the past.

Then I wrote about the introduction of the NHS.. How it positively affected children's experience of childhood today due to mass immunisation from disease such as whooping cough. Mentioned lower IMR also.
Does it matter that I didnt write about hard and soft for official statistics whatever that is..

no, you need to include disadvantages or you lose a lot of marks. it's needed to count as evaluation
Original post by Defraction
I would say roughly around the 40 range- wd tbh.

4 mark- deception, 'going native'
16 mark- studies such as Crime Survey, Bristol Health and Lifestyle and the Census- talked about their advantages and disadvantages and linked to whether or not official statistics is effective for means as a sociological research
2 mark- left that out as I didn't revise key words
6 mark- feminism, women's increased work independence(and financial) and secularisation(how religion has a less impact, religion emphasises on pro-creation blah blah)
The 10 mark- I talked about national insurance(children can't get it until they turn 16) and child benefits(how it's given to parents and not children)
Marxist essay- I did quite bad..

Thank you so much! Bet you've done really well I'm not good with marks or anything but it sounds like you've written the right stuff well done!👍🏻

Thank you👍🏻
Reply 958
Guyss I said the marriage age is now 18, is this right ?
Thank you so much! Bet you've done really well I'm not good with marks or anything but it sounds like you've written the right stuff well done!👍🏻

No problem!! Btw, how did you find the education paper??????

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending