The Student Room Group

If you had £5k spare, what would you do with it?

Scroll to see replies

Save it for an emergency.
Invest it, make more.
Reply 42
idfc if this makes me sound like a selfish spoilt piece of **** but MAKEUP AND CLOTHES
YAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSS
*__*
Spend like £2000 and save £3000
Change a few of our windows some of them are in a bit of a state...
Original post by Little Popcorns
Change a few of our windows some of them are in a bit of a state...

and stock up on some back up boilers.
Deposit for a flat or holiday! pending what I realistically was able to do at the time. Probably a holiday in my current situation and go back to Oz or something!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
and stock up on some back up boilers.
:colonhash:
New guitar, amp, pc and motorbike and save the last 5 quid
Travel a lot more
I found myself in this position after unexpectedly winning a scholarship from uni.

I treated the boyfriend to a trip to NYC for his birthday, bought a GoPro and loads of accessories for it, did some clothes shopping. Also booked a trip I've been planning for years - my boyfriend and I are going on a month-long road trip around the Canadian Rockies, also dipping into the US to visit Yellowstone National Park.

If I were more sensible I'd have saved it. But life's too short and all that. (I actually won two scholarships, and have saved the other £5k, so in a way I've been sensible..?)
I do have 5k to spare, but I'm saving and using it for investments.
Original post by WoodyMKC
I do have 5k to spare, but I'm saving and using it for investments.

What form of investments?
Are you "clued-up" on financial dealings and market shares and such?
Original post by TattyBoJangles
I found myself in this position after unexpectedly winning a scholarship from uni.

I treated the boyfriend to a trip to NYC for his birthday, bought a GoPro and loads of accessories for it, did some clothes shopping. Also booked a trip I've been planning for years - my boyfriend and I are going on a month-long road trip around the Canadian Rockies, also dipping into the US to visit Yellowstone National Park.

If I were more sensible I'd have saved it. But life's too short and all that. (I actually won two scholarships, and have saved the other £5k, so in a way I've been sensible..?)

To be honest that seems like the best of both worlds, experiencing life and going on adventures but yet saving the other scholarship £££. Good choice.
Original post by Spock's Socks
Put it towards my wedding and honeymoon

Haha same, weddings are scarily expensive :frown: :frown: :frown:
Original post by queen-bee
Travel a lot more

What if you were bound to a full time job with little holiday? (20 days off until Mar '17?)
Give it to my mum :colondollar:
Replace my laptop, finally get a DSLR + accessories, and probably some recording equipment to launch my voiceover career :tongue:
Got more than that already as spare and I double it via investing
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
Got more than that already as spare and I double it via investing

Wow, nice.
Would you recommend any reading material re: Investing?

Quick Reply

Latest