The Student Room Group

2016 Official AQA New Spec AS Level Physics Paper 1 - 24th of May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by champ_mc99
I actually liked it.

My reaction when I first saw it was: "ugh really?! Skip."
Original post by BainesyA
Can I ask why you haven't rounded the answer to 850, given that the value of 'u' was to two significant figures?

I find the reasoning to do that quite stupid to be honest. The initial speed was in 2 significant figures so the distance traveled must be in 2 significant figures? Makes no sense at all. Don't really care if I get marked down for it.
Original post by 11234
Do you reckon boundaries will go up down or stay the same

I reckon 48/70 for an A. Can't imagine it would go up since the old exams were between 45-50/70 for an A and they were really easy. I think this exam was a tiny bit harder because it was on the whole course in one paper so I reckon 48/70 for A.
anyone else round the 11.8cm for the wavelength in the chocolate question to 12 cm?
Original post by edothero
I find the reasoning to do that quite stupid to be honest. The initial speed was in 2 significant figures so the distance traveled must be in 2 significant figures? Makes no sense at all. Don't really care if I get marked down for it.

Is the comment riddled with sarcasm, or am I right to perceive sarcasm? Are you accepting it should be 850?

Exams are like that though. They mark down things that are correct simply because it wasn't precisely what they were looking for, even when it is correct.
Original post by Jackmapperley
anyone else round the 11.8cm for the wavelength in the chocolate question to 12 cm?

There is no need to round to 12cm, because your ruler can read to 0.5mm, it would have even been okay to have a value of 11.85cm because you read between one partition in mm.
Reply 687
Original post by aeroline1999
I reckon 48/70 for an A. Can't imagine it would go up since the old exams were between 45-50/70 for an A and they were really easy. I think this exam was a tiny bit harder because it was on the whole course in one paper so I reckon 48/70 for A.

So nothing above 50s?
Original post by BainesyA
Is the comment riddled with sarcasm, or am I right to perceive sarcasm? Are you accepting it should be 850?

No I'm not being sarcastic :biggrin:
I just find that all of this rounding answers to certain sig fig bullsh*t completely baffles me. You're correct in the fact that it might be asking for 2 significant figures, so I don't know, sorry. I left my answer as 853m, because the distance traveled was 853m, not 850m :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jackmapperley

11.8 was a bit specific. I measure between the first two points got 6cm then doubled it. So yeah 12cm
Exams are like that though. They mark down things that are correct simply because it wasn't precisely what they were looking for, even when it is correct.

Exactly, it's utter rubbish.
Original post by BethFM
Is it viable to say D as the answer to the bungee jump question?

Probably I put it too however it said explain the reasons for your choice so as long as your points are valid its fine I put D down but I also wrote that you would have make sure the force being applied wouldn't be too great etc well something along that line. I wish I did BC or CC but I did CD but yeh hopefully all goes well :smile:
11.8 was a bit specific. I measure between the first two points got 6cm then doubled it. So yeah 12cm

Should always measure over a larger distance because it reduces percentage error in readings
For the de acceleration question I wrote -2.7 . Is that correct ?
Reply 694
hI what did everyone get for the first question does the momentum increase/decrease or stay the same
Original post by Gurkin
The one where thd voltmeter was placed between point a and b

I said that, as all the resistors are in parallel, you do the 1/r. 1/very large number = a very small number and so that resistance would have very little effect on the rest of the circuit
No I'm not being sarcastic :biggrin:
I'm an A-Level Maths and Further Maths student doing AS Physics this year, so all of this rounding answers to certain sig fig bullsh*t completely baffles me. You're correct in the fact that it might be asking for 2 significant figures, so I don't know, sorry. I left my answer as 853m, because the distance traveled was 853m, not 850m :smile:

The worst part is an examiners response to your seemingly correct answer would be

"This student cant be sure that the distance travelled is 853m due to the initial velocity being to two significant figures, they have shown a lack of understanding and therefore lose a mark"

I agree 853m should be correct too
Reply 697
and the rest of the questions on the first page i was so confused :frown:
Original post by Cinna21
Probably I put it too however it said explain the reasons for your choice so as long as your points are valid its fine I put D down but I also wrote that you would have make sure the force being applied wouldn't be too great etc well something along that line. I wish I did BC or CC but I did CD but yeh hopefully all goes well :smile:

I did CD too. D was obviously the answer for bungee but I reckon B or C for the elevator cable. I said C because it strikes a balance between strength and some ability to extend. B was too brittle, it wouldn't allow much extension as the elevator accelerates upwards thus momentarily increasing the load, requiring some stretchiness. But C is both very strong and ductile. Although I never said the word ductile. Damn, wish I had now, I couldn't think of the proper word for stretchy
For the electricity question, part a) i did 1.5/0.66 for the current. Part b i got 0.065 ohms, part c i got 0.12, do any of these numbers ring a bell?

Quick Reply

Latest