The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel B Geography - Unit 1 - Tuesday 24th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chittesh14
What do you mean by structure of a volcano?

The inside structure. eg magma chamber, secondary vents etc etc
Original post by SoDoneWithSchool
The inside structure. eg magma chamber, secondary vents etc etc

That's not in the specification though? :s-smilie:
Will earthquakes come as in case studies
I think it can come up, mine was also on coasts - was it the management techniques or something lol or approaches to coastal management lol

Ah I gotcha

thanks ~
Original post by Ahahah191

it could do? tbh anything could come up, it's been so varied in the past years. If you are really stuck just try to remember names of case studies and then use educated guesses at figures eg there are gonna be many more deaths in an LEDC earthquake than MEDC. examiners won't mark you down for wrong figures so long as they are vaguely right (ie don't say 6 died when 75,000 did!). Good luck!
Reply 65
Original post by Ahahah191

Last year was earthquakes so probably not? Unless it's something to do with indirect impacts..
I'd look at volcanoes - i.e. Sakurajima vs. Mt. Nyiragongo.
My guess is that it'll be something on prediction.
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
Ah I gotcha

thanks ~

I'd rather it be on coasts like the hard engineering or soft engineering - so much easier than remembering about bloody spits and lagoons lol
Reply 67
Original post by 11ahf
Last year was earthquakes so probably not? Unless it's something to do with indirect impacts..
I'd look at volcanoes - i.e. Sakurajima vs. Mt. Nyiragongo.
My guess is that it'll be something on prediction.

Do you know how many died/were injured in Sakurajima?
Reply 68
Original post by srmed
Do you know how many died/were injured in Sakurajima?

I don't think there were any casualties! Main impacts of its eruptions are:
- ash settles on buildings, causing slight economic damage
- ash settles on plants, causing environmental damage
- acid rain damaged plants
- frequent eruptions damage the tourism industry
Reply 69
Original post by 11ahf
I don't think there were any casualties! Main impacts of its eruptions are:
- ash settles on buildings, causing slight economic damage
- ash settles on plants, causing environmental damage
- acid rain damaged plants
- frequent eruptions damage the tourism industry

Yeah I was confused about that thank you!
I'd rather it be on coasts like the hard engineering or soft engineering - so much easier than remembering about bloody spits and lagoons lol

Yeah, man. I totally agree.

Anyway good luck for the exam (-:
how is volcanos formed on destructive boundaries and if i got marpol and unclos wrong way rou nd do i get marks still
Original post by LNDNWASPS
how is volcanos formed on destructive boundaries and if i got marpol and unclos wrong way rou nd do i get marks still

I said it forms when the two plates collide with one another and the one which is denser subducts. By the way, what is marpol and unclos?
Original post by Speedbird129
I said it forms when the two plates collide with one another and the one which is denser subducts. By the way, what is marpol and unclos?

I said this the lighter continental plate subducts under the denser oceanic plate this melts allow magma to rise. At the detructive plate boundary composite volcanos are formed.
I said UNCLOS is pollution and marpol is oil pollution
I said this the lighter continental plate subducts under the denser oceanic plate this melts allow magma to rise. At the detructive plate boundary composite volcanos are formed.
I said UNCLOS is pollution and marpol is oil pollution

I think the denser oceanic plate is forced under the continental plate and melts allowing magma to rise. Don't think I learnt what Unclos and Marpol was.
would i get some marks or not|?
also If i said carbon cycle i said plants take c02 for phtosynthesis and give out oxyegen and microbes feed on dead plants decyay releasing c02 is that right for regulation of air
and for water in oceans if i said water evoprates and condenses and glaciers melt evapourate and rain is that 4 marks or not
When you read Natural Causes of Climate Change! God Sent! Went on a writing spree <3 <3 <3
would i get some marks or not|?

I don't think you would get all the marks but definitely some. I think 2 marks as you mentioned composite volcanoes form which is correct.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending