The Student Room Group

2016 Official AQA New Spec AS Level Physics Paper 1 - 24th of May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
What did you get for the frequency of a photon right at the end
Reply 741
how did you calculate resistance of the wire thing ?
Original post by 11234
What did you get for the frequency of a photon right at the end

Can't remember the answer but the method was:

2 x the rest energies
Convert to joules
Divide by planck's
Original post by Logic4Life
This was by far not an "easy paper", and people who are saying it was are just those 1 or 2 geniuses everyone has in their class. Not only did you have to revise the FULL spec (eg Stopping potential) but you had to apply your knowledge across the whole exam. Also there was like 2 questions on Particles? (Discounting the Photoelectric effect) and Particles is the easiest topic of the lot (Amirite)? I think the examiners know the particles topic is just a revision exercise hence why they kept the easy questions on there at a minimal.

Tbf, I don't think examiners intentionally try to avoid easy topics, they probably just want to use interesting questions to see how students respond and if they can think it through. And by the time they had done all of that, they probably didn't have many marks left for particles. You shouldn't worry either because the specification will be covered across both papers, just what you prefer might not come up in both...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Logic4Life
Have you seen paper 2 on the second set? Its virtually impossible and by no means is the multiple choice "easy marks".

Not yet no. But if its anything like paper 1 second set I can imagine. That thing put me close to tears last night. I got to the point where I thought, "is it even worth me turning up because it would be better to have no AS Physics than a U or something".

Glad I did go though, because the real thing, IMO, was nowhere near as bad as the specimen and so I expect the same for the real paper 2 as well.

Calling them easy marks was perhaps a bit of an exaggeration, but if you find the answer and then look at the options, I find it make multiple choice much easier as it confirms your answer you got it wrong. The practical questions usually require little knowledge, only how to carry out practicals "practical skills" which means they could be a gift (or hellish if you don't know how to practicals, uncertainty well).
Original post by BotUnfair
Can't remember the answer but the method was:

2 x the rest energies
Convert to joules
Divide by planck's

You also need to divide the total energy by two to find the frequency of 1 photon by using the energy of one photon
Original post by Cinna21
Yes same that exactly what I wrote and I just wrote the wire stretches thats fine right ? Theres not much words you could use , I was going to write elasticity but like that wouldn't work.

And Yes I wrote ductile , Also I don't think there was a definite answer because in the mark scheme it said state your reasons why so as long as its logical to some extent it should be ok. But Yeah hopefully we did well on the QWC and well the whole paper haha :biggrin:

Yeah. I don't like this whole holistic approach to marking though. When I was marking past papers I found it very hard to give myself an accurate mark and I bet ductile is one of the required words. Ah well, too late now.
Original post by JTawn
The last question was weak nuclear right?

Thats what I put so hopefully. Only one mark if it isn't anyway
Multiple choice is one of the hardest elements in reality as if you do work something out incorrectly for one of them, your answer will be one of the 4 options. And you'll go on your merry way thinking you've aced then crying on results day. Be careful lols
Reply 749
how did you find the resistance of the metal probe thing ?
Original post by BainesyA
Momentum increases.

It stated that the air was a higher speed after it had been heated up in the engine.

momentum = mass x velocity

A constant mass but an increase in velocity gives a greater momentum

The question specified that the speed stayed the same. The air changed direction so the velocity changed so that caused momentum to change.
Original post by pippaaa99
You also need to divide the total energy by two to find the frequency of 1 photon by using the energy of one photon

Pretty sure I read that it was the frequency of both photons. If you'd divided total energy by 2 you'd just end up at where you started.
(edited 7 years ago)
For the last question on the helium nucleis annihalating, id anyone get something x 10^42 (10 to the power of 42) for the frequency?
Original post by mz123
how did you calculate resistance of the wire thing ?

I prayed to God and hoped for the best.
Original post by JohnsonJ
For the last question on the helium nucleis annihalating, id anyone get something x 10^42 (10 to the power of 42) for the frequency?

Yeah I got that, but I think it was wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Whatevenemily
Yeah I got that, but I think it was wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think you forgot to convert to joules haha should have been something along the lines of x10^24
Reply 756

Wasn't it the frequency of both no need to divide by 2
The question specified that the speed stayed the same. The air changed direction so the velocity changed so that caused momentum to change.

I don't want to say you are wrong because I cant remember the question exactly.

But I remember the question saying it left at a higher speed that is entered, quite vividly. I think you may have the question mixed up?

Or I do, but lets try find out if someone has the question
Original post by D10shaw
Wasn't it the frequency of both no need to divide by 2

Exactly what I was saying lol, glad I'm not alone on that one
Original post by BotUnfair
Pretty sure I read that it was the frequency of both photons. If you'd divided total energy by 2 you'd just end up at where you started.

They would never ask you to find the frequency of the whole energy. That question is a trap because you can get the answer by using one of the rest energies and using E=hf but to get the method marks you have to times by two and then convert and then divide

Quick Reply

Latest