The Student Room Group

2016 Official AQA New Spec AS Level Physics Paper 1 - 24th of May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BotUnfair
Exactly what I was saying lol, glad I'm not alone on that one

Believe it was one, I first did two and then re-read the question and I'm pretty sure it said "for each photon"
Original post by BainesyA
I don't want to say you are wrong because I cant remember the question exactly.

But I remember the question saying it left at a higher speed that is entered, quite vividly. I think you may have the question mixed up?

Or I do, but lets try find out if someone has the question

It definitely specified that the speed stayed the same
Reply 762
Original post by mz123
how did you find the resistance of the metal probe thing ?

Rearrange the formula for resistivity to find R.

But I remember the question saying it left at a higher speed that is entered, quite vividly. I think you may have the question mixed up?

I think the question is : Why does the air has a different momentum after it left the engine and hit the plate assuming its speed stays the same? (not sure tho)
what did you guys write for the question which asked: Why did momentum change?
Reply 765
Original post by pippaaa99
The question specified that the speed stayed the same. The air changed direction so the velocity changed so that caused momentum to change.

There were 2 similar questions. The first stating speed had increased, therefore momentum increased. The second spoke about the deflector plates changing the direction of the air, thereby changing velocity, and changing momentum.
It definitely specified that the speed stayed the same

If it stayed the same, then the air wouldnt apply a forward force on the engine.

You are the only one who i have seen say the speed stayed the same
Original post by timcla
There were 2 similar questions. The first stating speed had increased, therefore momentum increased. The second spoke about the deflector plates changing the direction of the air, thereby changing velocity, and changing momentum.

Yes that is what I am thinking
Original post by JohnsonJ
For the last question on the helium nucleis annihalating, id anyone get something x 10^42 (10 to the power of 42) for the frequency?

Yep.
Reply 769
anybody remember finding the frequency of the microwave question? couldn't see where the 5 marks go, probably got it wrong :P
Original post by JohnsonJ
what did you guys write for the question which asked: Why did momentum change?

The deflector plates caused a change in direction
If it stayed the same, then the air wouldnt apply a forward force on the engine.

You are the only one who i have seen say the speed stayed the same

There were two questions, I am talking about the 2 one with the deflector plates. It's 3rd law pair would cause the engine to slow down
Questions are quite vivd to me first question was air speeding up so momentum increased. The second one asking about why velocity changed if the air was hitting the deflector at the same speed as it came out, and that was because its direction changed.
Original post by wolvan
anybody remember finding the frequency of the microwave question? couldn't see where the 5 marks go, probably got it wrong :P

Lol I definitely got this wrong but wavelength was 12cm and then you can use v=f x wavelength to find f. I reckon some marks will be for showing you measured the diagram and then the rest for the working
Reply 774

I reckon it said the air left at a higher speed and you assumed it was the same mass?
There were two questions, I am talking about the 2 one with the deflector plates. It's 3rd law pair would cause the engine to slow down

You responded to my explanation to the first question, saying I was wrong, next time please check before challenging

That was the third part yeah
You responded to my explanation to the first question, saying I was wrong, next time please check before challenging

Okay sorry no need to get rude...
Original post by JTawn
I reckon it said the air left at a higher speed and you assumed it was the same mass?

Mass of the air can't change anyway haha. it's density that changes
Original post by JTawn

That is exactly what I did.

p = mv

higher v and constant m = higher p

Quick Reply

Latest