The Student Room Group

French A Level.

How hard is French as an A Level compared to GCSE? I'm thinking about taking it next year as I will most likely be getting an A* at GCSE. In addition, on my mocks I always get around 100% and in my actual GCSE exam I finished one of the papers in 20 mins when it was supposed to last an hour. I also didn't study one bit for the exams. Do you think it'll be pretty simple, or is it a big jump?

In comparison GCSE French is ridiculously easy compared to A level, it doesn't prepare you at all. I would say if you enjoy it and understand the grammar then do it, but be aware it's a big jump and a very difficult A level and it will not be 'simple'. The speaking exam is not like GCSE at all where you pre-learn questions, you have to be spontaneous and know the language as you must have a 15 minute spontaneous conversation with an external examiner. Not to put you off though! If you're getting near 100% then you should be fine!! But just make sure you understand the grammar as it is very important at a level and gets a lot more complicated! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by isabelle99
In comparison GCSE French is ridiculously easy compared to A level, it doesn't prepare you at all. I would say if you enjoy it and understand the grammar then do it, but be aware it's a big jump and a very difficult A level and it will not be 'simple'. The speaking exam is not like GCSE at all where you pre-learn questions, you have to be spontaneous and know the language as you must have a 15 minute spontaneous conversation with an external examiner. Not to put you off though! If you're getting near 100% then you should be fine!! But just make sure you understand the grammar as it is very important at a level and gets a lot more complicated! :smile:

what are the writing exams like?
Reply 3
Original post by isabelle99

Oh wow 15 minutes hahah. I actually live in a french speaking country, so in my french class we're already doing some things at IB level (I'm moving to the UK this summer so I'll be doing A Levels). Do you guys read novels in class too?
Original post by igcsessuck
Oh wow 15 minutes hahah. I actually live in a french speaking country, so in my french class we're already doing some things at IB level (I'm moving to the UK this summer so I'll be doing A Levels). Do you guys read novels in class too?

I live in the UK, and as a nation we are generally lazy with learning languages so our system is pretty bad. If you live in a French speaking country then you're probably better prepared. You will study a novel at A level, but you won't at AS level.
Original post by k.m.b
what are the writing exams like?

If you know your grammar and have a wide range of vocabulary you'll be fine. At AS you have a listening, writing and reading part of the paper. You must answer in accurate french for the entirety of the paper and for the final question you must write an essay (it's not like GCSE where you pre-learn as essay, it's all under examination conditions and you don't get given a dictionary). I haven't done French A level so I wouldn't know, but I hope this helps:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending