The Student Room Group

Really bad back pain during period?

For the past few months when I get my period I get really bad lower back pain and my hips are throbbing. I have to lay on a cushion in a certain way to just feel comfortable. And it's constant. I never have cramps, I'm usually very normal on my period.

I eat clean and exercise when I can, and not sexually active. Why is this happening all of a sudden and how do I make it stop? I don't want to take any more pain relief and I will never go on contraception. i will take any suggestions, be it weird yoga poses to herbal things. It's difficult to do exams when all I can think about is my back.
Original post by Anonymous
For the past few months when I get my period I get really bad lower back pain and my hips are throbbing. I have to lay on a cushion in a certain way to just feel comfortable. And it's constant. I never have cramps, I'm usually very normal on my period.

I eat clean and exercise when I can, and not sexually active. Why is this happening all of a sudden and how do I make it stop? I don't want to take any more pain relief and I will never go on contraception. i will take any suggestions, be it weird yoga poses to herbal things. It's difficult to do exams when all I can think about is my back.

Hey,
So sorry you feel like this especially at exam period. Is your period heavy? Lemon tea does wonders as it lightens it. Your best course of action is to go and see a medical professional as they probably can help pinpoint the cause of it all.
Back pain on your period is normal and very common! Although, if it's started all of a sudden, then I'd suggest checking with a doctor to make sure it's nothing more serious!

Heating pads are great for taking the edge off the pain and relaxing your muscles! I'd especially recommend a microwaveable wheat bag, you put them in the microwave to heat up and then put them on your back/abdomen/other painful area, and they stay heated for quite a while! I have one and it has been incredibly helpful, not just for period pain, but other aches and pains too.

I hope you feel better soon! :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
Back pain on your period is normal and very common! Although, if it's started all of a sudden, then I'd suggest checking with a doctor to make sure it's nothing more serious!

Heating pads are great for taking the edge off the pain and relaxing your muscles! I'd especially recommend a microwaveable wheat bag, you put them in the microwave to heat up and then put them on your back/abdomen/other painful area, and they stay heated for quite a while! I have one and it has been incredibly helpful, not just for period pain, but other aches and pains too.

I hope you feel better soon! :smile:

Agree with this!

I'd also suggest doing more exercise during your period, it's a bit rubbish starting it (strap on heat pack!) but you feel clear and less achy for the rest of the day, and it helps me sleep better (I usually don't sleep well that week)
The deep heat patches (which you can put on your skin or clothes) might be better than using the wheat bags.

And yeah, I used to get this. I'm now on the pill for other reasons and it's helped a lot.
Reply 5
Thanks everyone!
Try those deep heat rub on gels or heat packs they are AMAZING. Also since they are so painful maybe consider going to your GP, I was prescribed mefanamic acid and it is so good, it eases the pain and lightens your period
Reply 7
Heat creams or pads or hot water bottles work a treat as does a hot bath. Sometimes though I find that numbing cream that you use on sore muscles works better than heat for period pain. I use Bio Freeze and its been a life saver for me from migraines, to fractured ribs to period cramps. One day that works better than heat and the next day maybe heat works better than cold. Its handy to have both options.

I suffer from bad back pain too. I get cramps at the front near my bladder and the my lower back feels like it's been battered and it hurts to touch too. If you do change your mind about meds, NSAIDs are the best for period pain imo and nothing beats naproxen. Its like ibuprofen but stronger. I think you can only get it on prescription. Its the best painkiller I've ever tried and especially for period pain and the pain relief is long lasting. I only had to take one a day instead of up to 6 paracetamol or ibuprofen a day to get even just slight relief.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I have a pack (I got it in Boots) which you can either chuck in the freezer or you can heat it up. You have to put it in a jug of boiled water, rather than the kettle. It lasts longer than the ones you put in the microwave.

Quick Reply

Latest