The Student Room Group

OCR Latin AS 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fablereader
Just wondering - how many people are taking this exam with computers? Because handwriting this exam in the time limit seems crazy to me.

our school any lets u use a laptop if u've got a medical condition or something, very few exceptions theres inly two of us retaking and we're doing it by hand. Tbh it looks like a really short time but you get 15 marks for translating a few lines which isnt too bad!
Original post by Aish112
our school any lets u use a laptop if u've got a medical condition or something, very few exceptions theres inly two of us retaking and we're doing it by hand. Tbh it looks like a really short time but you get 15 marks for translating a few lines which isnt too bad!

I am home educated and I type my schoolwork and send it via computer to my tutor. I am allowed to use a laptop because it is my normal way of working. But even then I have a hard time finishing the exam. It is insane the amount of work required in the short time given, and I cannot comprehend how anyone does it by hand. Bravo to you, and I bet your handwriting is better than mine.

I agree, the 15-point translations are awesome. I can complete them quickly, which gives me more time to do the rest.
Original post by Aish112
-.- great! So much to look forward to! Talking of 10 markers, how much is like a decent amount to write because i keep asking my teacher how many points to make but he never gives me a straight answer... :frown:

Yeah, the 10 marker is weird - for most questions, you do half of the marks for the number of points (e.g. 3 points for a 6 marker), but for the 10 marker you should do at least 6, ideally 7, for full marks, making sure to refer to things from all over the text to kind of prove you've learnt all of it, plus a one or two sentence conclusion at the end.

Just wondering - how many people are taking this exam with computers? Because handwriting this exam in the time limit seems crazy to me.

This exam was literally the reason why I applied to use a computer in exams in the first place! With a computer, I find that I'm able to finish the exam with about 10 seconds to spare.. I don't even want to imaging handwriting it!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by roarchika
Yeah, the 10 marker is weird - for most questions, you do half of the marks for the number of points (e.g. 3 points for a 6 marker), but for the 10 marker you should do at least 6, ideally 7, for full marks, making sure to refer to things from all over the text to kind of prove you've learnt all of it, plus a one or two sentence conclusion at the end.

This exam was literally the reason why I applied to use a computer in exams in the first place! With a computer, I find that I'm able to finish the exam with about 10 seconds to spare.. I don't even want to imaging handwriting it!

Really? We've been told 5 points well explained for 10 marks.

I think people try to write way too much in the time. A side of A4 should be enough for all the marks(if well explained)
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Really? We've been told 5 points well explained for 10 marks.

I think people try to write way too much in the time. A side of A4 should be enough for all the marks(if well explained)

Huh, we've been told minimum 6 - that's really annoying, ugh. Our points are expected to be well developed, too... ah well, whatever works, works I guess? 6 points is less than a page for me and for the other people in my group - maybe that's why?
I wonder how many people are doing Latin AS
Original post by roarchika

OH NOOOOOOO I'm freaking out now about the time! maybe I'll do some practices tonight and see how long it takes! -_-
is everyone ready then?
I am home educated and I type my schoolwork and send it via computer to my tutor. I am allowed to use a laptop because it is my normal way of working. But even then I have a hard time finishing the exam. It is insane the amount of work required in the short time given, and I cannot comprehend how anyone does it by hand. Bravo to you, and I bet your handwriting is better than mine.

I agree, the 15-point translations are awesome. I can complete them quickly, which gives me more time to do the rest.

hmmmm i don't know if I can agree on the handwriting thing I got my script back from last year and there are quite a few question marks over words because they can't read my handwriting and I can't even read my own either! Ah well, it was made to be hand written and examiners should be understanding about time conditions, although OCR is really mean in my opinion!
Image1463869177.030929.jpg
It'll be like this. This is probably the paper you sat last year

Has anyone got the Cicero part to this paper?
Original post by stripedbox

I do. I'll post it when I get home :smile:

Thank you - very kind :smile:
That was good paper! Hopefully I lost no more than 5 marks
Reply 154
That was good paper! Hopefully I lost no more than 5 marks

Me too! I didn't like the Cicero 10 marker though 😒😒
Original post by Lozza98
Me too! I didn't like the Cicero 10 marker though 😒😒

Yeah I didn't feel there were many points to make for the whole 10 marks.

The only question I was confused about was the one in the Cicero section that asked for one word that showed how Pompey surpassed the men of the time also. I put non modo but I'm not sure if that's right lol, it's two words for one.. :lol:

The only question I was confused about was the one in the Cicero section that asked for one word that showed how Pompey surpassed the men of the time also. I put non modo but I'm not sure if that's right lol, it's two words for one.. :lol:

Wasn't it 'unus' ?

Was that how the question was formatted? For the question that asked for one word (I can't remember what the question was) I put 'suparerit', and translated it as 'he has surpassed'.
Wasn't it 'unus' ?

It might have been actually.

I thought it could've been 'non modo'(not only) cause that highlights how Pompey was definitely better than all the men of his time, and also of the past.
Unus probably makes more sense though
Was that how the question was formatted? For the question that asked for one word (I can't remember what the question was) I put 'suparerit', and translated it as 'he has surpassed'.

I can't exactly remember.
I was going to put that but thought it was already sort of given in the question that he surpassed others so they wouldn't be looking for that word to be picked out and then translated.
I'm really unsure now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending