The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mr tim
Loris Karius confirmed.

That's really good news.

I don't expect him to immediately be first team however he seems to be well rated for his age. A young German goalkeeper is what we asked for and that's exactly what we got.

I'm very happy for Karius and Mignolet to battle it out for the top spot, as whichever doesn't win will still be a solid 2nd keeper for the season ahead.
Finally a new keeper!! :woo:

He was voted the second best goalkeeper in the Bundesliga this season too.
Original post by Lúcio
That's really good news.

I don't expect him to immediately be first team however he seems to be well rated for his age. A young German goalkeeper is what we asked for and that's exactly what we got.

I'm very happy for Karius and Mignolet to battle it out for the top spot, as whichever doesn't win will still be a solid 2nd keeper for the season ahead.

If Mignolet is still first choice then it means he is playing well so it's a win win for us. Need to see how Karius comes in for crosses and set pieces but he did play for City before he was at Mainz so adapting to the English league shouldn't be a big problem for him.
Original post by The.Joker
Finally a new keeper!! :woo:

He was voted the second best goalkeeper in the Bundesliga this season too.

Dumb question but I assume behind Neuer? :tongue:

Since nobody is gonna beat the German Terminator, that's an exceptional result for Karius!
Original post by samir12
If Mignolet is still first choice then it means he is playing well so it's a win win for us. Need to see how Karius comes in for crosses and set pieces but he did play for City before he was at Mainz so adapting to the English league shouldn't be a big problem for him.

Well the fact that he was at City in the first place is a good sign. He has a very good number of appearances for Mainz and it seems like he's really well liked.

The concern is that he'll be another Mignolet - great at shot stopping for a lesser club but crumbled under the pressure when the expectation is high.

Next DDG pls.
Original post by Lúcio
Dumb question but I assume behind Neuer? :tongue:

Since nobody is gonna beat the German Terminator, that's an exceptional result for Karius!

haha yep behind Neuer!!

He's really hot too. :colone:

Spoiler

haha yep behind Neuer!!

He's really hot too. :colone:

Spoiler

So basically he's the best human goalkeeper in the Bundesliga then? :wink:

Please don't ruin it joker :colonhash:
http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/222991-liverpool-agree-deal-to-sign-loris-karius

I thought it would drag out a little longer but pleasing to see we've sorted it quickly.

So considering CB and GK were two of our main concerns, it's pleasing to see we've already got Matip and Karius done and dusted and we're not even into June yet.

Hoping we should hear about Sakho some time next week which will also have major implications on our transfer this summer.

I'd imagine the next position we are all desperate to see a signing in is LB?
Original post by Zerforax
http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/222991-liverpool-agree-deal-to-sign-loris-karius

I thought it would drag out a little longer but pleasing to see we've sorted it quickly.

So considering CB and GK were two of our main concerns, it's pleasing to see we've already got Matip and Karius done and dusted and we're not even into June yet.

Hoping we should hear about Sakho some time next week which will also have major implications on our transfer this summer.

For me a CM is more of a priority over LB. Mahmoud Dahoud is supposedly first choice target for a CM but if we don't get him (Dortmund may snap him up) then Zielinksi is another choice.

As for LB, we are linked to Jonas Hector and Chillwell. I haven't seen any links for a winger though but it is still early in the window, we know Gotze won't be happening so atleast it won't be a Sanchez saga again...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zerforax

Apparently midfielder Dahoud is our first choice over Zielinski and we will be opening talks with Chilwell soon. Good to see Klopp trying to sort out midfield and the defence. Toure also might get another 1 year extension, obviously depends on the outcome of Sakho's ban.
Apparently midfielder Dahoud is our first choice over Zielinski and we will be opening talks with Chilwell soon. Good to see Klopp trying to sort out midfield and the defence. Toure also might get another 1 year extension, obviously depends on the outcome of Sakho's ban.

I wouldn't be happy with us going for kids/potential again :frown:
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
I wouldn't be happy with us going for kids/potential again :frown:

These are all Klopp's purchases and I have complete faith in him. If he thinks these players are good enough to challenge for the starting 11 then their ages aren't that important. I'm sure we'll recruit a few older players, Matip will be 25 when the season starts too. The good thing is that these youngsters are quite experienced considering their ages. Karius for the past 3 seasons has made 2x 36 and 23 appearances. Dahoud has made 41 appearances (8 which have been subs) in all competitions and Zielinski has made 36 starts this season.

"Tickets go on sale on 1st June at 10am"

That's the time and date of one of my final year exams ffs. I live in London, too, so this would have been perfect -_-.

Karius has been assigned the #1 for his shirt. Signalling his intent to be the first choice keeper, maybe?
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464121248.686174.jpg

I came across this comparison between Mignolet and Karius that I found interesting. It is worth noting beforehand that the Premier League on average contains higher quality players than the Bundesliga, therefore a keeper is likely to concede more goals.

Anyway, one thing that jumps out at me instantly is Karius having 0 errors leading to goals. It must be nice having a keeper that doesn't do that. He appears to be more proficient aerially and with a higher save count (again this could be down to the different leagues).

I'm really hoping he has quality distribution. We can be a very good counter attacking side but only if the keeper can get it right, and unfortunately Mignolet seldom does.

All in all, there's no reason not to be cautiously optimistic here. I trust Klopp with German players and for under £5m, this "could" be an absolute steal.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tomtjl
"Tickets go on sale on 1st June at 10am"

That's the time and date of one of my final year exams ffs. I live in London, too, so this would have been perfect -_-.

That's just for members and season ticket holders, the general sale will be later.

Karius has been assigned the #1 for his shirt. Signalling his intent to be the first choice keeper, maybe?

Hopefully, though remember Brad Jones was #1 when it was him and Reina.
My brothers wedding is on the 6th of August, but it is at a hall in Wembley. Hmm....
Original post by samir12
My brothers wedding is on the 6th of August, but it is at a hall in Wembley. Hmm....

Meet me in Wembley m8

I don't think Chilwell sorts our LB issues - he'd be one for the future.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
That's just for members and season ticket holders, the general sale will be later.

Hopefully, though remember Brad Jones was #1 when it was him and Reina.

Ahh yes, thanks for that pal. Hopefully I'll be able to grab a couple of tickets and go with some mates!

And yeah, that's definitely true but Jones was always going to be #2 to Reina. With Karius, it's slightly more ambiguous who will be the number 1 keeper. If not, at least he'll get to play in cup games and since I expect us to take the FA cup and league cup seriously, he will definitely be getting game time.
I was having a think and as disappointing as this season was, we had some cracking matches didn't we?

4-1/3-0 against City, 3-1 at Chelsea, 5-4 against Norwich, and of course the 4-3 against Dortmund at Anfield.

We may not have anything sizeable to show for it but we've really made our mark in some games this season. The Dortmund match is certainly European game of the year.

Latest