The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel B Geography - Unit 1 - Tuesday 24th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

I wrote about MARPOL who ensure that ships are designed better in order to limit oil spillage leaks. I also talked about MPAs which create fish nurseries which stops fishing and recreational use in this areas. Which allows more juvenile fish to reproduce as they are not being fished. I also mentioned the Law of the Sea which decreases the amount of ships entering certain oceans.
Original post by srmed
Same! I didn't know what else to say so I said precipitation as one and surface run off as the other

This is exactly what I wrote yasss. I didn't really like that exam.
Reply 122
Original post by Joannu
I put that. That was so vague, though - the dotted line ran through the middle of the river, and of course deposition wouldn't happen so much there, but it was 'process' so wasn't a meander and i think erosion would have been too off-topic

Same it was so vague so I wrote slip-off slope which was formed and in brackets next to it wrote (deposition)
Original post by Ahahah191
What did everyone say for national conservation of the biosphere

I wrote about sustainable management in Cameroon which consisted of sustainable logging, afforestation and banning and stopping intensive agriculture.
For the 8 marker on Rivers and Processes, I wrote about hard engineering in Sheffield but I never wrote anything on soft engineering or gave any other case studies examples. For the 8 marker in Extreme Environments, I wrote about Inuits in Alaska and Aborigines in Australian Outback. I said how the temperatures will increase and so polar ice caps would melt hence the polar bears would lose their habitat and die out so the Inuits won't have any polar bears for their uses like fur. Also, how desertification would occur in the Australian Outback and the Aborigines might lose their land and be less able to farm. For the 4 marker on Rivers and Processes, I said about surface runoff and groundwater flow for how the water ends up in the oceans again. For the 1 marker on Rivers and Processes, I wrote erosion. For Restless Earth's 6 marker I wrote about asteroid collisions and sunspot activity,
Reply 125
Original post by Speedbird129
What, so it wasn't meander?

It specified 'process' - meander is more of a landform I think
Original post by spoony2799
what did people put for the eight marker on coasts?

I mentioned the happisborough coastline and how residents want to increase the amount of sea defences as they obviously live near the coastline that is being eroded.

Then I spoke about environmentalists who would oppose residents as they would like to uncover the geology of the area.

Finally I mentioned the local council who are promoting no active intervention because they deem the land as being worth little to no value.
I talked about what the council want eg cost is too mcuh for protecting then I talked about what locals want. What some people think using soft engineering cost of putting sea defences in mappleton bay/ holderness coast etc
When it asked about a national organisation that conserves the biosphere, I wrote about a global one in a lot of detail. Will that get me any marks at all?
Reply 129
for the conservation of the biosphere question, were we only meant to put one action down? so for example, only talk about SSSIs? the question said 'for A local or A national...' I talked about national parks, SSSIs, and community forests and I dont know if i've done it wrong :frown::frown::frown:
Original post by SmithAmelia
When it asked about a national organisation that conserves the biosphere, I wrote about a global one in a lot of detail. Will that get me any marks at all?

I remember the question and it said local or a national organisation so you would get the marks.
Original post by shlokz12
for the conservation of the biosphere question, were we only meant to put one action down? so for example, only talk about SSSIs? the question said 'for A local or A national...' I talked about national parks, SSSIs, and community forests and I dont know if i've done it wrong :frown::frown::frown:

It was supposed to be only one, but they don't take marks off - they just don't credit you for it.
I remember the question and it said local or a national organisation so you would get the marks.

But is global the same as national?

'national' is different from 'global'
Original post by LNDNWASPS
'national' is different from 'global'

Will I get any marks at all though?
Original post by SmithAmelia
But is global the same as national?

It is different but one was local actions and the other was bigger like national parks being national and global being worldwide like CITES.
what do you guys think the grade boundaries will be this year?
It is different but one was local actions and the other was bigger like national parks being national and global being worldwide like CITES.

yes agreed
Original post by xkrutix
For the 8 marker on Rivers and Processes, I wrote about hard engineering in Sheffield but I never wrote anything on soft engineering or gave any other case studies examples. For the 8 marker in Extreme Environments, I wrote about Inuits in Alaska and Aborigines in Australian Outback. I said how the temperatures will increase and so polar ice caps would melt hence the polar bears would lose their habitat and die out so the Inuits won't have any polar bears for their uses like fur. Also, how desertification would occur in the Australian Outback and the Aborigines might lose their land and be less able to farm. For the 4 marker on Rivers and Processes, I said about surface runoff and groundwater flow for how the water ends up in the oceans again. For the 1 marker on Rivers and Processes, I wrote erosion. For Restless Earth's 6 marker I wrote about asteroid collisions and sunspot activity,

Same I agree with what you wrote!
Original post by chassan
what do you guys think the grade boundaries will be this year?

I hope 54 A* but seems low

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending