The Student Room Group

i have ABSOLUTELY AWFUL time management

honestly i feel as though with the 4 - 5 exams we've had so far, i have missed my potential because i have terrible time management. i either write too slow or think too slow. i need advice. i'm pretty sure i missed my opportunity for A* yesterday with edexcel eng lit (missed out 1c) because i only had 30 minutes to write a whole essay.

ADVICE??

also pretty sure why I did bad on my aqa bio
Reply 1
Just try and write as much as you can in the time you have. Make sure you allocate an appropriate amount of time for each section of a paper and do not go over it. this way you can still get the easy marks on some of the sections. If you get stuck on a question for 30 or so seconds, skip ahead; there will be easier questions. Make sure you are not tired when you go into the exam; bring some water, have some fruit before the exam, this way your brain will be active and you'll be able to put your thoughts down on the page. If you can, try and join your letters when writing. I find that i write much faster when i do this, but just make sure it is still legible!
thanks i'll try it!
Reply 3
On non-essay papers just completely skip questions you think will take you a long time or you don't want to do at that point and make sure to come back to them. That way you secure the marks on questions you can definitely do and then if possible aim to prioritise higher marked questions (don't spend five minutes on a one marker when there's a five marker on the next page).

On essay papers use a very basic structure of point, evidence, explain in each paragraph. Try to plan in your head as you're writing if you're really short on time as well because it saves time and can often make an argument flow better! Always aim to write a conclusion or summary at the end because the examiner knows where your essay was going even if you don't argue all the points you want to. My history teacher always taught us to write what we're going to argue in the introduction as well. You should write an introduction and conclusion because you'll generally get marks for structure but you can keep this as one sentence or a rephrase of the question.

Hope this is helpful!!
Reply 4
Original post by hello654321
honestly i feel as though with the 4 - 5 exams we've had so far, i have missed my potential because i have terrible time management. i either write too slow or think too slow. i need advice. i'm pretty sure i missed my opportunity for A* yesterday with edexcel eng lit (missed out 1c) because i only had 30 minutes to write a whole essay.

ADVICE??

also pretty sure why I did bad on my aqa bio

I have this problem too, mainly because my handwriting is SO slow. In exams in the past, I have gone through the entire test before answering any of the questions so I can see what marks i'll easily get and which questions will take the longest. Sometimes if it is a essay-style exam, I give myself time limits down the margin to help stint myself so I can at least get something down for each question.

Hope this helped!
Original post by embow
On non-essay papers just completely skip questions you think will take you a long time or you don't want to do at that point and make sure to come back to them. That way you secure the marks on questions you can definitely do and then if possible aim to prioritise higher marked questions (don't spend five minutes on a one marker when there's a five marker on the next page).

On essay papers use a very basic structure of point, evidence, explain in each paragraph. Try to plan in your head as you're writing if you're really short on time as well because it saves time and can often make an argument flow better! Always aim to write a conclusion or summary at the end because the examiner knows where your essay was going even if you don't argue all the points you want to. My history teacher always taught us to write what we're going to argue in the introduction as well. You should write an introduction and conclusion because you'll generally get marks for structure but you can keep this as one sentence or a rephrase of the question.

Hope this is helpful!!

i'll try that when i have written papers. but sometimes i worry i'll spend too much time on those questions and not get back to the others.
Original post by dulchieb
I have this problem too, mainly because my handwriting is SO slow. In exams in the past, I have gone through the entire test before answering any of the questions so I can see what marks i'll easily get and which questions will take the longest. Sometimes if it is a essay-style exam, I give myself time limits down the margin to help stint myself so I can at least get something down for each question.

Hope this helped!

it did, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest