The Student Room Group

How was Geography (AQA A)?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Job738338
Wouldn't hep be an adaptation of the fold mountains as you're using the steep valleys etc
Tourism you're using the fold mountains provides jobs helps conditions by providing income
I think perhaps you're slightly overthinking it but who knows :smile:

The question asked how people have managed to overcome the difficulties with living on fold mountains. Tourism doesn't overcome any difficulties directly related to the difficulties living on a fold mount
Original post by Perfection Ace
Well that's the thing, is that an adaptation to difficult conditions? Who knows bro :wink:

You could say high slopes can cause rock slides so they dammed it and made hep as it is ideal in the alps - as well as renewable and sustainable
For the question about a case study about fold mountains, in the question, it said discuss how people living there are adapted to difficult living styles or w/e. Therefore, I didn't write about HEP, Mining, Tourism and Farming for uses. I had revised adaptations the day before and some points I included were:

-High slopes had infertile soil - therefore, llamas and goats are farmed there
-Consequently, the lower slopes had fertile soil, therefore crops could be grown there
- Limited communications - roads were long and would take ages traveling, therefore, they were adapted to this by building tunnels through the mountains for shortcuts.
-Because they live near mountains and there are hazards such as avalanches - they adapted to this by building large trees to absorb the impact.

So yeah, I think I'm literally the only one who put those down. Either I'm the only one who got that question right, or everyone else got it right and I didn't.......:redface:

*ps, in the spec it says candidates should be aware of how people are ADAPTED to living in tough, extreme places*

Well done to everyone nonetheless! :smile:

You're not the only one! :wink:

Yesterday in a Geography revision session my teacher warned us about a question relating to fold mountains. He said that we should read the question carefully to see what it was asking because there's a different to land use and how people have adapted. I literally love my teacher to bits because we went through it yesterday and I felt like jumping up hugging everyone!

So yeah, I think we should get the marks because I also put those exact points down (any chance they were from the CGP book? :wink:)
Original post by BTAnonymous
You're not the only one! :wink:

Yesterday in a Geography revision session my teacher warned us about a question relating to fold mountains. He said that we should read the question carefully to see what it was asking because there's a different to land use and how people have adapted. I literally love my teacher to bits because we went through it yesterday and I felt like jumping up hugging everyone!

So yeah, I think we should get the marks because I also put those exact points down (any chance they were from the CGP book? :wink:)

Haha! Yep, I got them from the CGP book but I was worried because I didn't know what spec that book followed - but then I looked at the AQA spec and everything was goooood! :smile: So glad I wrote that down in my notes! Good on your teacher too! :smile:
Original post by vincentvangogh
destructive wave, high frequency 10-14 per minute, steep and high, backwash stronger than swash

what did you put for how do constructive waves shape the coast? you don't need to write about longshore drift right?

It said to describe, your answer seems to go into to more detail and explain it. I mentioned the shingle of the promenade and the fact that water was coming over the top of the promenade, perhaps there was high tide (something like that)
Reply 125
Original post by kirstyandmoosey
it began with a 'p' I think

I thought this one was hard and I put something like Mt Olyama
For the question about a case study about fold mountains, in the question, it said discuss how people living there are adapted to difficult living styles or w/e. Therefore, I didn't write about HEP, Mining, Tourism and Farming for uses. I had revised adaptations the day before and some points I included were:

-High slopes had infertile soil - therefore, llamas and goats are farmed there
-Consequently, the lower slopes had fertile soil, therefore crops could be grown there
- Limited communications - roads were long and would take ages traveling, therefore, they were adapted to this by building tunnels through the mountains for shortcuts.
-Because they live near mountains and there are hazards such as avalanches - they adapted to this by building large trees to absorb the impact.

So yeah, I think I'm literally the only one who put those down. Either I'm the only one who got that question right, or everyone else got it right and I didn't.......:redface:

*ps, in the spec it says candidates should be aware of how people are ADAPTED to living in tough, extreme places*

Well done to everyone nonetheless! :smile:

I put very similar, but mentioned transhumance farming and that they use goats as they are abled climbers unlike cows etc . And also used the cheeky CGP points under the land use😊
(edited 7 years ago)
I did HIGHER Restless Earth, Water and Ice on the Land. I found it pretty straight forward but we didn't do a case study on a retreating glacier in class so got a lil stuck aha !! i hope y'all do well :smile:))))
The 8 marker on the alps in the restless earth was horrible got that wrong
Funny story but annoying as well, some kid pulled the fire alarm so we had to leave the exam for 10 minutes. It was absolute jokes lol
Original post by Jamie Vardy
I reckon the grade boundaries will be sky high.

A* - 58
A - 50
B - 43
C - 35

Everyone found it fairly straightforward.

what do you think the foundation paper grade boundaries will be, i did foundation
Original post by amanii_ox
I did Q 1, 5, 7

q1) R.earth--- I did the Andes, talked about terracing, foresting, llama in the mining industry, subsistence farmer... those points mainly and developed them a lot more obvs

q5) Rivers--- I did MEDC effect vs/ LEDC effects

I did the Cockermouth vs/ Bangladesh
I did about 4-6 primary and secondary effects for Cockermouth and 3-4 primary and secondary effects for Bangladesh. ALso i tried to compare as much as possible....
but i think i might have lost a few marks on that Q

The q7) Coasts---- I did the case study about East Anglia

I did 1 like 3-4 social points and 1 political points, then I realized that there was clearly not enough... so i used a few economic points and tried my hardest to like it to social and political , i think i also may have lost a few marks on this.

wby

I think you'll be fine. For q5 I did about 3 effects for both and then said that the LEDC is more severe due to lack of funding for emergency services.

First one I did the Alps talking about them being isolated so they build roads through the mountain, farm at the bottom of the slope, HEP schemes.
Do you think I'll pick up any marks for a labelled cross section of the meander?
Original post by LiamCollins
I think you'll be fine. For q5 I did about 3 effects for both and then said that the LEDC is more severe due to lack of funding for emergency services.

First one I did the Alps talking about them being isolated so they build roads through the mountain, farm at the bottom of the slope, HEP schemes.
Do you think I'll pick up any marks for a labelled cross section of the meander?

On that mark scheme that I saw for a past paper, a similar Q came up...
And there were 2 diagrams where a the marks were awarded for, bc they didn't specify if you were supposed to draw a cross section or a birds eye view

So long you show where deposition, erosion, cliff, slip off slope or even flood plain... or anything revolving around that... u should get the marks.

But if anything, You'll only lose 1 or 2 marks... which isn't too bad.

:smile: I think you'll be fine too!
Original post by reu_taylor
Funny story but annoying as well, some kid pulled the fire alarm so we had to leave the exam for 10 minutes. It was absolute jokes lol

WTF omg ahahaha
was it someone sitting the exam or a pesky Y7 or 8??

Did u see the Q's.. did it happen during the exam... were u able to revise n them 10 min

did they giving u 10 mins extra back?
Reply 134
Original post by Harry Drew
If you read the key at the bottom you would of found out that was just large boulders

ahh well too late now
GEOGRAPHY AQA A PEOPLE!! HIGHER...

THE FIRST QUESTION IN THE LITTLE TABLE,...
it asked something like 24^ WEST and sometreitng 65^NORTH or something like that, they asked what volcano or something was on the map

Yeah they were asking for a volcano but that took me a while to figure it out myself i put Mount Saint Helens but i wasn't to sure
For anyone who did higher Water on the Land what did you guys do for the meanders question where you had to re draw it i failed that so bad. I thought that question was so pointless…. :frown:
Original post by Anonymous20000
What was it out of

Each paper is out of 75
WTF omg ahahaha
was it someone sitting the exam or a pesky Y7 or 8??

Did u see the Q's.. did it happen during the exam... were u able to revise n them 10 min

did they giving u 10 mins extra back?

Some pesky yr 10 lol, happened 14 minutes into the exam, we were told not to talk and leave the hall, we all talked lol but couldn't revise, we went back in and they gave us the extra time we deserved
The restless earth
Q1 was easy on the fact file(3marks)
Q2 Formation of a fold mounting was easy (4marks)
Q3 how do people adapt to the alps was hard (3marks)
Q4 macali scale was easy (2 marks)
Q5 Shaking of the area was ok? (1mark maybe 2)
Q6 effects of earth quakes(3 marks)

Total marks=25 i think i got 16

Water on the land
Formation of a meander(4marks)
Draw the meander (3 marks)
case study on poor and rich and why different effects(5 marks)
rivers flooding image with distrabutions(2marks)
How the valley changes down stream(3 marks)
another one i can not remember worth 3 marks

Total marks= 25 i think i got 17

Coastal zone-

Rising sea level image graph(2 marks)
rising sea levels (4 marks)
formation of bays and headland(4 marks)
draw the coast line(2 marks)
how does a constructive wave create the coast line(3 marks)
describe the wave (2 marks)

Total marks=25 i think i got 17

Total 75 think i got im going to take 5 away to be safe? So maybe 45 marks being harsh so maybe an A? hope all went well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending