The Student Room Group

Iraqi government forces launch operation to retake Fallujah from ISIS

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/23/iraqi-pm-announces-military-operation-to-retake-fallujah-from-isis

Iraqi government forces and allied militia have launched an operation to retake Fallujah from ISIS.

Fallujah is close to Baghdad, and was one of the first major cities they captured in Iraq, being captured in January 2014, months before their summer 2014 offensive where they captured Mosul, Tikrit and much of northern Iraq (Mosul and Tikrit were captured in June that year).
Original post by RF_PineMarten
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/23/iraqi-pm-announces-military-operation-to-retake-fallujah-from-isis

Iraqi government forces and allied militia have launched an operation to retake Fallujah from ISIS.

Fallujah is close to Baghdad, and was one of the first major cities they captured in Iraq, being captured in January 2014, months before their summer 2014 offensive where they captured Mosul, Tikrit and much of northern Iraq (Mosul and Tikrit were captured in June that year).

It seems no one has actually learned anything from the events of a few years ago.

Sectarian Shia militias entering Fallujah (or any Sunni area) is a recipe for disaster.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by AlifunArnab
It seems no one has actually learned anything from the events of a few years ago.

Sectarian Shia militias entering Fallujah (or any Sunni area) is a recipe for disaster.

Surely any attack against ISIS is a good thing.
Original post by Jebedee
Surely any attack against ISIS is a good thing.

It depends on who's doing the attacking.

If it's sectarian Shia fighters, they're bound to commit numerous abuses. We've seen it in Tikrit and it'll only be worse in Fallujah.

Disgruntled Sunnis will then decide to retaliate and before you know it, another group like ISIS pops up.
The situation is a mess.
In my opinion ISIS can only be tackled on the ground by a good army
Reply 5

are most shias muslims to you?
Original post by Tawheed
are most shias muslims to you?

I have no idea whether most twelver shias are sectarian or not.

What I do know however is that the Shia militias currently in Iraq are as sectarian as they come.
Reply 7
I have no idea whether most twelver shias are sectarian or not.

What I do know however is that the Shia militias currently in Iraq are as sectarian as they come.

I meant muslims, do you regard most shia's as muslims?
Original post by Tawheed
I meant muslims, do you regard most shia's as muslims?

It depends on the beliefs they have.

Are they Twelvers, Ismaili, Zaydis ?
Reply 9
It depends on the beliefs they have.

Are they Twelvers, Ismaili, Zaydis ?

Twelver shia's, so the majority of shias (90%) or so. The ones that make up 40% of the ME muslim population.
Original post by Tawheed
Twelver shia's, so the majority of shias (90%) or so. The ones that make up 40% of the ME muslim population.

I believe twelvers have some beliefs which is kufr akbar. However, due to the ignorance of the laymen, they may be excused.

Wallahu a'lam.

Quick Reply

Latest