The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
theres two threads....kinda confusing lol. would be good to merge everything tbh
Reply 181
How are you guys revising?
Original post by xxvine
How are you guys revising?

Copying out of the Heywood textbook/having debates on our class group chat (yep, we're that cool).

I'm finding it really easy tbh, you?
anyone got any predictions for the 40 markers in Unit 2?
Reply 184
Original post by TDChattell
Copying out of the Heywood textbook/having debates on our class group chat (yep, we're that cool).

I'm finding it really easy tbh, you?

I dunno I'm finding it hard.....

its just memorising things and the facts...getting the info to stick.
Just practicing essays and making short plans for them , each unit only seems to need a maximum of 15 bits of actual evidence so long as you are aware of the political world.
Reply 186
Original post by keirjohnharry
Just practicing essays and making short plans for them , each unit only seems to need a maximum of 15 bits of actual evidence so long as you are aware of the political world.

You mean as in everything that's going on?
fantastic example to use as evidence when arguing against the use of referendums.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35980571

the fact that the government is spending £9 million pounds on leaflets is just appaling and shows how neutral the process really is. the leave campaigners, by contrast, only get a budget of £7 million, while the government has with these leaflets a budget of around £18 million afaik
Reply 188
Original post by popcornjpg
fantastic example to use as evidence when arguing against the use of referendums.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35980571

the fact that the government is spending £9 million pounds on leaflets is just appaling and shows how neutral the process really is. the leave campaigners, by contrast, only get a budget of £7 million, while the government has with these leaflets a budget of around £18 million afaik

So basically manipulation tactics to try and get the answer they want from the referendum?

I have a feeling the question this year will be about referendums
Original post by xxvine
So basically manipulation tactics to try and get the answer they want from the referendum?

I have a feeling the question this year will be about referendums

yes, its blatant manipulation. the government claims precedent allows them to do so because the government did the same thing in 1975 under Harold Wilson but I don't think that's a good enough excuse. if the document was produced by an independent body and actually provided both arguements that would be excellent, letting the people decide themselves rather than scaremongering.

it might be, yeah. there hasn't been a question on referendums in quite a long time actually so its quite possible.
Reply 190
yes, its blatant manipulation. the government claims precedent allows them to do so because the government did the same thing in 1975 under Harold Wilson but I don't think that's a good enough excuse. if the document was produced by an independent body and actually provided both arguements that would be excellent, letting the people decide themselves rather than scaremongering.

it might be, yeah. there hasn't been a question on referendums in quite a long time actually so its quite possible.

thats actually a good argument

so against referendums will be who ever is advocating referendum can use manipulation tactics to try and foster the result they want and then use 1975 labour gov and the example you have just given above!

are you going to do 2 for and 2 against then conclusion in the exam?
Original post by xxvine
thats actually a good argument

so against referendums will be who ever is advocating referendum can use manipulation tactics to try and foster the result they want and then use 1975 labour gov and the example you have just given above!

are you going to do 2 for and 2 against then conclusion in the exam?

yeah I do 2/2 for a balanced answer, sometimes 2/1 but only if I end up writing in too much detail so I try not to (but then, in these cases, I always add a lot of evaluation and counter-arguments in the same paragraph).

referendums would be such a nice essay question, lots of examples to use from the UK and easy enough to make a balanced argument. I would perhaps consider doing 3/2 as I can think of three really strong points against referendums with solid examples.
Reply 192
yeah I do 2/2 for a balanced answer, sometimes 2/1 but only if I end up writing in too much detail so I try not to (but then, in these cases, I always add a lot of evaluation and counter-arguments in the same paragraph).

referendums would be such a nice essay question, lots of examples to use from the UK and easy enough to make a balanced argument. I would perhaps consider doing 3/2 as I can think of three really strong points against referendums with solid examples.

timing is an issue for me

so little time to write an essay
25 mins is nothing:frown:
Original post by xxvine
timing is an issue for me

so little time to write an essay
25 mins is nothing:frown:

yeah, it isn't great, an extra 5 minutes would be amazing. its all about being concise I suppose, like, the essays don't have to be long, (the examiner reports consistently remind you of this) they just need to be well-structured and to the point.

also make sure to plan out every possibly essay before the exams. it helps a lot with timing.
Hey does anyone know a list of potential 40 markers for constitution
:smile:
I'm really nervous about this, I know we have like 3 days between Unit 1 & Unit 2 but I'm really struggling with my 25 markers and just ahhhh I'm really bad at studenting >.<
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 196
Original post by Sylavela
I'm really nervous about this, I know we have like 3 days between Unit 1 & Unit 2 but I'm really struggling with my 25 markers and just ahhhh I'm really bad at studenting >.<

I feel ya pain man. I am so scared as well.
Hopefully the questions are nice this year
Original post by xxvine
I feel ya pain man. I am so scared as well.
Hopefully the questions are nice this year

I spent all of yesterday revising pressure groups and today imma do democracy... I think the magazines (politics review) will be helpful
Reply 198
Original post by Sylavela
I spent all of yesterday revising pressure groups and today imma do democracy... I think the magazines (politics review) will be helpful

its just remembering all the examples tbh
Just remembering everything XD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending