The Student Room Group

AQA AS level Business 19th and 23rd May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rezwan Haque
i didnt even get that. I tried to talk about the fact that ethical stuff might improve reputation and then somehow talked about fairtrade

Yeah, similar to that except expanding onto other points like I mentioned before as it was a "to what extent" question, implying argumentative question. It really was a **** question.
Original post by Much118
I did the same. You will get 2 marks out of 3. They will identify it as a common mistake since so many people have done it.

How many paragraphs were people writing for the 16 and 20 markers by the way?

I wrote around 3/4 paragraphs for the 16 and 20 markers but for the 20 marker i gave more of a detailed conclusion.
Original post by Simbak6
I wrote around 3/4 paragraphs for the 16 and 20 markers but for the 20 marker i gave more of a detailed conclusion.

Really. For more writing style I only wrote two for each. It may sound as if that is little, but the exemplar material showed 2 paragraphs in depth for this length of question. Moreover, an examiner mentioned on tutor2u on how to answer exam questions in depth. Not that I am saying your writing style is wrong, just posting this here for others that struggle on time. :wink:
Original post by Much118
Really. For more writing style I only wrote two for each. It may sound as if that is little, but the exemplar material showed 2 paragraphs in depth for this length of question. Moreover, an examiner mentioned on tutor2u on how to answer exam questions in depth. Not that I am saying your writing style is wrong, just posting this here for others that struggle on time. :wink:

Yeah! I totally get that, my teachers said that with writing 2 paragraphs it can be really 'touch and go' how much detaiil youve included and so your writing style has to be good, yours clearly sounds it, so its abit of a safer bet to write 4 paragraphs (2 for 2 against) that are still developed. Some people in my class also write 2 paragraphs and it works well for them.
Its just different methods but i've seemed to get good marks on past mocks using it.
I went to the convention speech talk thingy with tutor2u, and apart from being totally bored, they were all talking about depth but i personally work better in shorter concise paragraphs.

Which questions did you guys find tough?
Original post by abrack
Yeah, similar to that except expanding onto other points like I mentioned before as it was a "to what extent" question, implying argumentative question. It really was a **** question.

How many points did you write for and against for this question?
Original post by Simbak6
I found the outsourcing one a piece of ****, couldn't think of enough stuff to write worth 9 marks! I didn't know what to write!
Also the question about theorists was okay and the question about Public vs private limited q's. Some people hated them some people loved it, how did you guys find it??

Theorists was alright, although I think my analysis was maybe a little lacking. I had no trouble with public v private limited
Original post by Simbak6
How many points did you write for and against for this question?

About 3, cannot remember exactly.
Original post by CatusStarbright
Theorists was alright, although I think my analysis was maybe a little lacking. I had no trouble with public v private limited

I put like with public you gain positive publicity and raise finance from selling shares in the stock exchange and with private it's quick decision making and more opportunities for promotion, not sure if that's right? :tongue:
Original post by claudiamendes
I put like with public you gain positive publicity and raise finance from selling shares in the stock exchange and with private it's quick decision making and more opportunities for promotion, not sure if that's right? :tongue:

I also put in some application about how they were worried that if they went public they'd lose their key values, so I analysed that for an against point.
At the end of the day, I don't really care what grade I get now, because I'm carrying it on to A2... so the AS gets scrapped anyway!
For the 20 marker I spoke about other factors that impact decisions that businesses make such as PESTLE, is that ok?
Original post by Sahil_Starrh
For the 20 marker I spoke about other factors that impact decisions that businesses make such as PESTLE, is that ok?

Yeah, that'll be fine. I included economic conditions.
Original post by abrack
At the end of the day, I don't really care what grade I get now, because I'm carrying it on to A2... so the AS gets scrapped anyway!

Same here! But my teacher said that AS grade is important too as for people who are going to university they will look at your AS grade! :cute:
Original post by claudiamendes
Same here! But my teacher said that AS grade is important too as for people who are going to university they will look at your AS grade! :cute:

We'll see. If my business grade is shockingly bad, I will have to consider dropping it. I hate media studies, but I can get a good grade. If getting a good grade will get me into the uni to do the course I want, so be it.

How did you find the first business exam? I thought that was pretty easy, people seem to be complaining about that one!
has anyone made a mark scheme yet? if you have please post it
also are there past years grade boundaries you can look up online or are you unable to do that scene this is a new specification?
Original post by abrack
We'll see. If my business grade is shockingly bad, I will have to consider dropping it. I hate media studies, but I can get a good grade. If getting a good grade will get me into the uni to do the course I want, so be it.

How did you find the first business exam? I thought that was pretty easy, people seem to be complaining about that one!

I thought paper 1 was alright, there weren't any weird questions there.
Original post by Simbak6
Yeah! I totally get that, my teachers said that with writing 2 paragraphs it can be really 'touch and go' how much detaiil youve included and so your writing style has to be good, yours clearly sounds it, so its abit of a safer bet to write 4 paragraphs (2 for 2 against) that are still developed. Some people in my class also write 2 paragraphs and it works well for them.
Its just different methods but i've seemed to get good marks on past mocks using it.
I went to the convention speech talk thingy with tutor2u, and apart from being totally bored, they were all talking about depth but i personally work better in shorter concise paragraphs.

Which questions did you guys find tough?

Yeah, we all write differently. I enjoyed this paper more so than the first, mainly because I am better at writing longer styled questions than short answers (odd, I know). In this paper, I didn't feel as if I cam across much problems, but probably outsourcing and a very small error on the first.

I talked about how outsourcing was a method used by businesses for capacity utilisation, and that it is beneficial to Mind Candy Ltd in reducing production and inventory costs, and that with economies of scale used for mass customisation, the business could further reduce these costs. Outsourcing allows the business to further meet the demands of its customers and increase its dependability, although a change in quality may occur.

As for the first question, I knew the equation for BEO, wrote it down, but instead wrote 20p in the form of 20 rather than 0.2. This meant that I got 640 in stead of 6400.

What about you, any questions you found difficult?
Original post by Simbak6
I found the outsourcing one a piece of ****, couldn't think of enough stuff to write worth 9 marks! I didn't know what to write!
Also the question about theorists was okay and the question about Public vs private limited q's. Some people hated them some people loved it, how did you guys find it??

I looked at questions like them, and the motivation and just blanked, but as soon as I started writing, it all came back.

Outsourcing, I said about the fact that because there is a greater need to match supply to demand, it would mean they could meet customers' expectations better, and therefore there would be no complaints and it would improve loyalty. That was my most detailed point for that, the other point I made, I think, was about cash flow, and how them not having to spend on employees and facilities to hold stock meant they became more flexible and helped to improve cash flow.

For the PLC v Ltd question, I argued about how going public would take control away from SPARK and Smith, taking away from the core values and all that. Also, I talked about the positive and negative effects of changing share prices.
Personally, I think the length of time in proportion to question length is a bit ridiculous on paper 2. If it's 1 mark per minute, then you're left with 10 minutes of thinking time and case study annotation. I can just about do a 16 mark in the allotted time so it's tough to get it all done. Managed quite well, though, I thought. Only bit I didn't finish was the second half of my conclusion for the 20-marker.
Original post by CatusStarbright
I thought paper 1 was alright, there weren't any weird questions there.

Paper 1 was so easy!! Compared to this one... it was great:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending