The Student Room Group

Pharmacy/Medicine

I've currently held a job in a pharmacy for almost 2 years, with a role as a dispensary and shop assistant. How can I relate my time in the pharmacy to a medical personal statement? My boss said he has a few ideas but won't give me them until I come up with some first!
Think about relevant transferable skills you've gained that will be useful and what it takes to be a good doctor. Also, think about how you've developed an understanding of how the nhs and healthcare in general works and how that will be useful.
Original post by aoifea100
I've currently held a job in a pharmacy for almost 2 years, with a role as a dispensary and shop assistant. How can I relate my time in the pharmacy to a medical personal statement? My boss said he has a few ideas but won't give me them until I come up with some first!

Above ideas are great, you could also consider health promotion opportunities you have been involved in (smoking cessation, sexual health, alcohol intake and so on) and how important it is for professionals to use these opportunities whenever possible. You could also consider specific times when you have made effort to educate and improve health of the public through your role, for example, taking into account a holistic assessment and personal circumstances before recommending a treatment, or encouraging patient choice.
Original post by aoifea100

Hi aoifea100

How are you getting on with relating your Pharmacy experience to your personal statement?

The thing to bear in mind when including any work experience in your personal statement is that what universities are interested are the transferable skills you may have learned and your ability to reflect on your experience in a mature way.

If you can do this and communicate it with in your personal statement, that will go a long way.

I hope this helps.

Do give me a shout if you'd like any more advice... always happy to help!

UniAdmissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending