The Student Room Group

Ocr geography sdme

Any advice on SDME?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by mizan200
Any advice on SDME?

Ahh I am confused whether we need to learn any rivers and coasts case studies. I didn't think we did, only to really name drop in the final decision making question, however I am hearing people say we should learn them?
Reply 2
You dont need the case studies but they give you a general idea of he impacts of flooding amd erosion. What did you get for your coursework?
Original post by cicelym
Ahh I am confused whether we need to learn any rivers and coasts case studies. I didn't think we did, only to really name drop in the final decision making question, however I am hearing people say we should learn them?
Reply 3
Original post by mizan200
You dont need the case studies but they give you a general idea of he impacts of flooding amd erosion. What did you get for your coursework?

I didn't do great - got a high C. Do you think if I get A*s on both the exams, I can still get an A overall?

How did you do?
Reply 4
Original post by cicelym
I didn't do great - got a high C. Do you think if I get A*s on both the exams, I can still get an A overall?

How did you do?

I got an A* hopefully i do well in SDME. If you get A* in both you will probbably get an A
Reply 5
Yeah I got a high B, 2 marks off an A (FRUSTRATING), but I've been told that the only way to revise for SDME's is to practice structuring a 16 marker. I cba to write an entire 16 marker out but you can always read through past papers and figure out how to get full marks.
Hey how do you think the exam went i was expecting rivers and coasts came up im feeling pretty bad about it to be honest but only results day can tell i guess 😪
Reply 7
Original post by Arbana1502
Hey how do you think the exam went i was expecting rivers and coasts came up im feeling pretty bad about it to be honest but only results day can tell i guess 😪

I was so pleased with the exam! I actually did my coursework and fieldwork on Lyme Regis (I don't live too far away from there) and so I was thrilled when I saw it appear in the exam. I've also been to Mullion and studied it a little prior to this exam so I knew a bit about that as well!

The only question I messed up on, and probably lost three marks, was question 2, as I completely forgot how stacks and arches were formed. 😩

But overall I feel it went fantastically. Don't beat yourself up about it, I bet you'll surprise yourself on results day! It's in the past now, completely out of your control, and I guess you tried your hardest, there was nothing more you could have done. 🙂 Hope you're okay though, focus on your next exam now: that one is in the past. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by cicelym

How did you do?

You can work out how many marks you need in the SDME and Key Themes exam to get an A* overall. If you go onto OCR's website and find the UMS converter, it tells you how many UMS you got in your coursework, and then you can work it what you need to get in the SDME and Key Themes exam to get an A* overall.

If you want any help with it I can give you some, I worked out what I need to get in the SDME and Key Themes exam to get an A grade. :smile:

I wasn't happy with the exam, found the 16 marker quite tricky, could've done alot better
Reply 10
Original post by L0st45
I was so pleased with the exam! I actually did my coursework and fieldwork on Lyme Regis (I don't live too far away from there) and so I was thrilled when I saw it appear in the exam. I've also been to Mullion and studied it a little prior to this exam so I knew a bit about that as well!

The only question I messed up on, and probably lost three marks, was question 2, as I completely forgot how stacks and arches were formed. 😩

But overall I feel it went fantastically. Don't beat yourself up about it, I bet you'll surprise yourself on results day! It's in the past now, completely out of your control, and I guess you tried your hardest, there was nothing more you could have done. 🙂 Hope you're okay though, focus on your next exam now: that one is in the past. :smile:

Wait were we meant to write about how two features were formed? I only wrote about the formation of stacks :/
Reply 11
Original post by L0st45
You can work out how many marks you need in the SDME and Key Themes exam to get an A* overall. If you go onto OCR's website and find the UMS converter, it tells you how many UMS you got in your coursework, and then you can work it what you need to get in the SDME and Key Themes exam to get an A* overall.

If you want any help with it I can give you some, I worked out what I need to get in the SDME and Key Themes exam to get an A grade. :smile:

Ah this a good idea, the only issue is I don't have my exact coursework grade as my teacher said they haven't received the final mark back. I am trying to estimate it though, and I think with a high c coursework I need two really high a's in the exams for an a over all. I really hope I can do this :frown:
Reply 12
Original post by samreen.iqbal
I wasn't happy with the exam, found the 16 marker quite tricky, could've done alot better

I wouldn't worry too much, when I came out of the exam everyone was saying the final question was hard :s hopefully the grade boundaries will be low
Original post by cicelym
I wouldn't worry too much, when I came out of the exam everyone was saying the final question was hard :s hopefully the grade boundaries will be low

I know my geo teacher said its likely for them to be low and she was also quite surprised that they asked us to choose and alternate option instead of the ones they gave she said that was reasonably hard. But who knows just gotta wait for Results day and ace the key theme. Good luck!
Reply 14
Original post by cicelym
Wait were we meant to write about how two features were formed? I only wrote about the formation of stacks :/

No only one, I wrote about stacks, but my description was very weak. Kind of bagging in my diagram to get me a mark lol.
Yup they sneaked in a few theory questions. How many pages did you guys write for the last question
Yup they sneaked in a few theory questions. How many pages did you guys write for the last question

Only managed to do 2 sides , not good at all, didn't even reach where it says 'end of questions'
Original post by samreen.iqbal
Only managed to do 2 sides , not good at all, didn't even reach where it says 'end of questions'
. me too im hoping to do get at least 30/40 for this paper
Hi guys in the SDME for Q2 i did the formations of the stack but i explained it from the beginning i.e. i went from caves to arches to the stack but will i lose marks for this.
i did the same thing too oh no

Quick Reply

Latest