The Student Room Group

Friends won't delete ex off FB...

My ex said a lot of **** about me when we broke up that wasn't true, and even though my friends didn't believe what she said they still keep her on FB. I really struggle to understand why they keep her as a friend because they haven't spoken to her since the breakup, so she's effectively just a +1 to their friends-list. I've asked them politely if they'd consider removing her as what she said about me could potentially damage my future career, friendships etc...but they haven't.

Should I feel annoyed/upset about this? I know I can't dictate who they're friends with but I would have thought if they know how bad it hurt me and the fact she showed her true colors by being cruel, they wouldn't want anything to do with her.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I know I can't dictate who they're friends with

Seems like you dont..
Reply 2
Original post by Reue
Seems like you dont..

Very helpful...what I mean is that I'm not trying to keep up a fuss about it or make it seem like they have to in order to keep me as a friend. I've asked politely and left it like that. I'm just disappointed they can't do me this small favor considering they don't even speak to her anymore and with how much I've supported them with their exs etc...
Reply 3
Original post by Reue
Seems like you dont..

What's the point of this reply tbh?

OP, I've been in a similar position. People can be on your side but won't really be bothered about this because a) some of them might not care about who they follow on social media etc and b) they might want to see what she's up to. But as long as they aren't being two-faced with both of you, you shouldn't give it any care.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's not very clear what you're asking us for.
Reply 5
My ex said a lot of **** about me when we broke up that wasn't true, and even though my friends didn't believe what she said they still keep her on FB. I really struggle to understand why they keep her as a friend because they haven't spoken to her since the breakup, so she's effectively just a +1 to their friends-list. I've asked them politely if they'd consider removing her as what she said about me could potentially damage my future career, friendships etc...but they haven't.

Should I feel annoyed/upset about this? I know I can't dictate who they're friends with but I would have thought if they know how bad it hurt me and the fact she showed her true colors by being cruel, they wouldn't want anything to do with her.

Pay them. They'll be more than happy to resolve this issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Ananaz
What's the point of this reply tbh?

The intention was for the OP to reconsider whether they're being reasonable by being annoyed that their friends in this instance. tbh.
But if she's done nothing wrong to them, then there's nothing you can do about it. You're telling them to take sides, which isn't fair, imo.
Reply 8
Very helpful...

You're welcome

Vwhat I mean is that I'm not trying to keep up a fuss about it or make it seem like they have to in order to keep me as a friend. I've asked politely and left it like that. I'm just disappointed they can't do me this small favor considering they don't even speak to her anymore and with how much I've supported them with their exs etc...

You've created this thread, thus making a fuss about it. You can't claim that you've left it at that when it is clearly still bothering you. Either do something about it or actually leave it at that.
Reply 9
Should I feel annoyed/upset about this?

Original post by TurboCretin
It's not very clear what you're asking us for.

I just don't like the fact there's still a "connection" between us with mutual friends, and that I do on fb could possibly get relayed back to her. I've got her blocked but sometimes notice her liking friends' posts and it doesn't help me to keep my mind off her
I just don't like the fact there's still a "connection" between us with mutual friends, and that I do on fb could possibly get relayed back to her. I've got her blocked but sometimes notice her liking friends' posts and it doesn't help me to keep my mind off her

I know she's your ex and everything and I know how you feel but what you're saying sounds a little selfish.. maybe just face it that your friends are still friends with her because she didn't do anything wrong to them? idk
Original post by Reue
The intention was for the OP to reconsider whether they're being reasonable by being annoyed that their friends in this instance. tbh.

This...

Original post by Tiger Rag
But if she's done nothing wrong to them, then there's nothing you can do about it. You're telling them to take sides, which isn't fair, imo.

That's true...

Original post by Reue
You've created this thread, thus making a fuss about it.

It's called seeking advice. I haven't really got anyone else to talk to so don't make me feel bad about it please...

It's still not clear what you're asking us for. We can't control what your friends do, and you've already asked them to delete her and they haven't.

If you've deleted her, things you do aren't being directly relayed to her, they're being relayed (if anything) through other people. Your friends deleting her won't change that - it just introduces another degree of separation.

If it means that much to you, then give your friends an ultimatum that you will need to delete them if they don't delete her. If that seems too extreme, then you'll just have to deal with it on your own terms - maybe just don't post so much about your life on Facebook.
Reply 13
It's called seeking advice. I haven't really got anyone else to talk to so don't make me feel bad about it please...

I gave you advice; either do something about it (ie: Tell them to delete her) or move on and leave it.

I'm sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but I'm not going to beat about the bush by trying to tell you that its 'normal to be annoyed' etc etc. That's not actually advice, it's sympathy. Which is it you're after?
Original post by Reue
I gave you advice; either do something about it (ie: Tell them to delete her) or move on and leave it.

I'm sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but I'm not going to beat about the bush by trying to tell you that its 'normal to be annoyed' etc etc. That's not actually advice, it's sympathy. Which is it you're after?

she cant tell them. shes not their mom
Reply 15
she cant tell them. shes not their mom

I never suggested it would be effective :rolleyes:
Original post by Reue

I quoted what I was asking, which is if I should feel upset/annoyed over this. Clearly I shouldnt be so that's something I have to work on and thats fine...
Original post by Reue
I never suggested it would be effective :rolleyes:

yh, just continue giving useless advice then
Reply 18
yh, just continue giving useless advice then

Will do boss
yh shut up now

peak

Quick Reply

Latest