The Student Room Group

What characters did you write about for english lit OMAM?

For part b when they asked about how does Steinbeck present dreams or something like that..
I wrote about Slim. I basically said points similar to :

- He doesn't have any dreams because he knows the tragic reality of the futility of the American Dream
- Has the 'whole package' - throughout the book a lexical field of royalty surrounds him e.g. "prince of the ranch"
- But yet Slim is fated to have the same mediocre existence as all the other ranch men (this is even shown through costume - wears the same clothes as George and Lennie)
- Steinbeck uses the non-existence of Slim's dream to show us how brutal life was for American citizens who weren't just discriminated against through racism, sexism or ageism but rather, in a time where events such as the wall street crash and the dustbowl had taken place, even people who were most capable of success were very limited because it was just that tough bla blah blahhhhhh

I know it doesn't really make much sense but I said a lot more things and went into more detail but yeah...

I felt really good writing this in the exam but when we shared ideas afterwards some of my friends were telling me that I'll barely get any marks for this because I didn't answer the question properly.

I picked the character whose dreams we are unaware of, I feel like I should've wrote about Curley's wife or Crooks or Candy now:frown::frown:. I just thought that would've been boring and basic though
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fishandrice
For part b when they asked about how does Steinbeck present dreams or something like that..
I wrote about Slim. I basically said points similar to :

- He doesn't have any dreams because he knows the tragic reality of the futility of the American Dream
- Has the 'whole package' - throughout the book a lexical field of royalty surrounds him e.g. "prince of the ranch"
- But yet Slim is fated to have the same mediocre existence as all the other ranch men (this is even shown through costume - wears the same clothes as George and Lennie)
- Steinbeck uses the non-existence of Slim's dream to show us how brutal life was for American citizens who weren't just discriminated against through racism, sexism or ageism but rather, in a time where events such as the wall street crash and the dustbowl had taken place, even people who were most capable of success were very limited because it was just that tough bla blah blahhhhhh

I know it doesn't really make much sense but I said a lot more things and went into more detail but yeah...

I felt really good writing this in the exam but when we shared ideas afterwards some of my friends were telling me that I'll barely get any marks for this because I didn't answer the question properly.

I picked the character whose dreams we are unaware of, I feel like I should've wrote about Curley's wife or Crooks or Candy now:frown::frown:. I just thought that would've been boring and basic though

In fact, your friends could be wrong. The examiner will mark subjectively - in reality there is no right or wrong answer. It is actually good to pick unusual characters and points because it will show your ability to be perceptive which is highlighted in the top bands of the mark scheme rather than regurgitating the same points as all the other candidates.
Reply 2
Original post by Certified
In fact, your friends could be wrong. The examiner will mark subjectively - in reality there is no right or wrong answer. It is actually good to pick unusual characters and points because it will show your ability to be perceptive which is highlighted in the top bands of the mark scheme rather than regurgitating the same points as all the other candidates.

But since it's subjective, couldn't I get an examiner that completely disregards everything I wrote but one that thinks my interpretations are good?
Or am I thinking too much into this?
Original post by fishandrice
But since it's subjective, couldn't I get an examiner that completely disregards everything I wrote but one that thinks my interpretations are good?
Or am I thinking too much into this?

I wouldn't worry too much until results day. Focus on your poetry Unit 2

Quick Reply

Latest