The Student Room Group

AQA AS Philosophy (new 2014 onwards spec) Thread!

Scroll to see replies

So many people didn't know Descartes' one, dw about it. It's such an odd one in contrast to all the other Ontological arguments too. If you're still curious about it, it's:

- God is a supremely perfect being
- A supremely perfect being would have all supreme perfections
- Existence is a supreme perfection
- God must possess existence (ergo he exists).

I said to someone before I went into the exam "If Descartes comes up I am so screwed" and just GOd that fricking evil demon question eughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
--
Also @other person how the hell did you use SEVEN extra pages omg. I write lots in exams but I found the paper provided to be just enough for my work.
Original post by Inexorably
So many people didn't know Descartes' one, dw about it. It's such an odd one in contrast to all the other Ontological arguments too. If you're still curious about it, it's:

I said to someone before I went into the exam "If Descartes comes up I am so screwed" and just GOd that fricking evil demon question eughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
--
Also @other person how the hell did you use SEVEN extra pages omg. I write lots in exams but I found the paper provided to be just enough for my work.

I also said that for Descartes' OA. I used the example of a triangle to explain how existence is the essence (essential requirement of God). Without a triangle having 3 sides, it wouldn't be a triangle. Similarly, if God didnt exist, he wouldn't be a God
was the last question on religion only about the logical problem of evil?
the 15 marker for epistemology I wrote about direct realism and hallucination and how we see things which aren't real so objects can't be mind independent
then indirect realism, so objects could be mind independent then scepticism, so objects may not be real at all so they can't be mind independent
then idealism so they wouldn't be because objects are ideas!!!!

--

I am guessing I am @other person. My writing is quite big, so don't worry too much about that, and I did cross out quite a few things along the way. I just write loads. I am sure my teacher has nearly killed me a few times, as I often hand in essays which are 8 pages. I just can't condense things. It's either all in, or nothing with me. :biggrin:

Also, I always outline the overall theory before answering the question specifically. Like with the ontological argument, I outlined what it was, and the general argument structure. Then I described Descartes argument.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Chloefairbre
the 15 marker for epistemology I wrote about direct realism and hallucination and how we see things which aren't real so objects can't be mind independent
then indirect realism, so objects could be mind independent then scepticism, so objects may not be real at all so they can't be mind independent

Wait... What?!

I just wrote an essay on Direct Realism. I was sure that was all they were asking for?
Original post by clucky_chick
Wait... What?!

I just wrote an essay on Direct Realism. I was sure that was all they were asking for?

I think the question was "Are Direct Realists right to claim ... are mind independent objects?"

You could have addressed the question however you want. I criticised direct realism and then I said why Kant's approach to realism better explained how all objects are in fact mind dependent.
Original post by Chloefairbre

It only referenced the problem of evil - could choose logica or evidential

Right?? omg someone confirm as i wrote entirely about evidential
omg
now
im
worried
It only referenced the problem of evil - could choose logica or evidential

Right?? omg someone confirm as i wrote entirely about evidential
omg
now
im
worried

It basically said is evil inconsistent with God. So you should, as it is an essay and one should make their points as strong as possible, mention both the logical and evidential problem of evil. And then on the other hand of the argument, talk about both Theodicies
Original post by DeclanC97
It basically said is evil inconsistent with God. So you should, as it is an essay and one should make their points as strong as possible, mention both the logical and evidential problem of evil. And then on the other hand of the argument, talk about both Theodicies

In essays you are allowed to address the point however you wish, providing you argue ''correctly'' - so you could just adress logical and ignore evidential and so on. which would be fine.

Omg "inconsistent" with God well God (literally) help me I cannot remember how I wrote my introduction, so I can't recall if I've actually addressed the question or not.

WELL I'LL FIND OUT IN AUGUST
I think the question was "Are Direct Realists right to claim ... are mind independent objects?"

You could have addressed the question however you want. I criticised direct realism and then I said why Kant's approach to realism better explained how all objects are in fact mind dependent.

Ohhh, ****. I just went for a general essay on direct realism:

1. Intro
2. Problem: Illusions
3. Illusions response
4. Problem: Hallucinations
5. Hallucinations response
6. Intermediate conclusion
7. Problem: perceptual variation
8. Perceptual variation response
9. Problem: Time-lag
10. Time-lag response
11. Conclusion
Ohhh, ****. I just went for a general essay on direct realism:

1. Intro
2. Problem: Illusions
3. Illusions response
4. Problem: Hallucinations
5. Hallucinations response
6. Intermediate conclusion
7. Problem: perceptual variation
8. Perceptual variation response
9. Problem: Time-lag
10. Time-lag response
11. Conclusion

I prettyy much did the same thing (though I lumped illusions and hallucinations together) and then after time-lag response introduced Kant.
I prettyy much did the same thing (though I lumped illusions and hallucinations together) and then after time-lag response introduced Kant.

Oh right! that's good. I was starting to wonder if I had done it all wrong, haha. :smile:
How's everyone feeling about results day? I am really freaking out, and dreading it!
How's everyone feeling about results day? I am really freaking out, and dreading it!

I'm worried about my other subjects but kinda calm for philosophy; I think I'll probably get a B cause I don't think my non-essay questions were detailed enough (lmao especially Descartes' evil demon like God end me)
to get an A but who know

Last year you could drop 20 something marks and still get an A though so :tongue:
I'm worried about my other subjects but kinda calm for philosophy; I think I'll probably get a B cause I don't think my non-essay questions were detailed enough (lmao especially Descartes' evil demon like God end me)
to get an A but who know

Last year you could drop 20 something marks and still get an A though so :tongue:

Aw, good luck! I know what you mean - philosophy was definitely my easiest exam. However, I did mess up on that last 15 marker, so I have to pray that it isn't as bad as I think it is. Oh well, if it all goes wrong, I don't really mind re-taking the exam, as the 15 marker will probably be on the design argument, which I really love talking about! :smile:
Aw, good luck! I know what you mean - philosophy was definitely my easiest exam. However, I did mess up on that last 15 marker, so I have to pray that it isn't as bad as I think it is. Oh well, if it all goes wrong, I don't really mind re-taking the exam, as the 15 marker will probably be on the design argument, which I really love talking about! :smile:

I thought my 15mks were okay then I read through some of my old posts on here where I was worried about misunderstanding the question and writing about logical instead of evidential problem WOOPS! lmaoo. I can't retake cause it'll cost me another £600 (old :frown:) so ah I hope I did okay.

Iv'e been trying to find some example A2 essays online for the current spec and im reallllllllllllllllyyyy struggling, theres nothing on AQA or anywhere - do you know of any places?
I thought my 15mks were okay then I read through some of my old posts on here where I was worried about misunderstanding the question and writing about logical instead of evidential problem WOOPS! lmaoo. I can't retake cause it'll cost me another £600 (old :frown:) so ah I hope I did okay.

Iv'e been trying to find some example A2 essays online for the current spec and im reallllllllllllllllyyyy struggling, theres nothing on AQA or anywhere - do you know of any places?

Yeah, that's understandable. As long as you tailored it to the question, writing about either, or both should be fine! Yeah, I have to pay to re-sit, but it's no way near that cost - wow! I have seen some essays about for A2 somewhere, and will try and find the link for you, but if you are only in AS at the moment, I wouldn't worry about A2 too much yet.

There are some specimen and example essays on the AQA website: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/philosophy/as-and-a-level/philosophy-2175/past-papers-and-mark-schemes

Those essays are for AS though :frown:
Those essays are for AS though :frown:

The specimen papers for ethics and philosophy of mind are for A2. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending