The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds University Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

I'm struggling to decide on accommodation. How good is it being on campus, or will it be better to be a bit further away in devonshire with more social opportunities, and potentially a better area e.g headingley?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
My contract at Eldon Court Leeds ends in JUNE 2016..

This is the LAST PLACE ON EARTH ANYONE would want to live in.. It is the worst student accommodation in Leeds. Stayed at the LOWER GROUND FLOOR. There are BUGS and SILVERFISH everywhere..There are also other creatures which i don't even know what they are called. Had a bad experience when a SILVERFISH came crawling to my ears when sleeping. Was lucky it didn't go in. You are NOT a STUDENT in ELDON COURT Leeds, but you have changed your profession to a PEST CONTROLLER.!!!!

In winter, it is REALLY COLD..the heater is not warm enough even if u sit in front of it. And although it says utilities are included, BE PREPARED if u exceed the £10 per month. If it exceeds, the electricity get CUT OFF, and your food in the FRIDGE will go bad.. There is also NO way out, unless u find someone to replace you. if you can't, then you will have to pay foe the rental until the contract ends..And they will knock on your door on an early Saturday and Sunday, and OPEN IT even if you are sleeping. They don't wait for you to open the door, they just barge in after TWO KNOCKS and ONE word HELLO. They don't care if you are not properly dressed before coming in. No respect of privacy.

Leakage everywhere, and when you report it, they will just put it on paper with no action. At night, it is noisy with the traffic and you can hear people shouting like nobody else business. no peace of sleep..The only positive point is it is near the university. BUT, unless you don't mind living with the bugs and silverfish etc, then it is ok..I can't believe i have stayed here for 9 months this coming JUNE 2016.. Wanted to leave early, but was forced to stay or because they ask you to pay for the whole of contract. Glad i survive.. Paid a huge sum of money to get the bugs away, but its a waste.. it didn't work..
If you can find another place, please look for another one.
DONT MOVE IN.. please spread the word..
Does anyone know what the best places would be for accommodation with an en suite and self catered and not too far from the university? Also, are there any accommodation places to avoid applying to?
Original post by CosmicAero
Does anyone know what the best places would be for accommodation with an en suite and self catered and not too far from the university? Also, are there any accommodation places to avoid applying to?

Well i have applied to Central Village and thats on campus , en suite and its self catered:smile:
Reply 344
Original post by alice5555
My contract at Eldon Court Leeds ends in JUNE 2016..

This is the LAST PLACE ON EARTH ANYONE would want to live in.. It is the worst student accommodation in Leeds. Stayed at the LOWER GROUND FLOOR. There are BUGS and SILVERFISH everywhere..There are also other creatures which i don't even know what they are called. Had a bad experience when a SILVERFISH came crawling to my ears when sleeping. Was lucky it didn't go in. You are NOT a STUDENT in ELDON COURT Leeds, but you have changed your profession to a PEST CONTROLLER.!!!!

In winter, it is REALLY COLD..the heater is not warm enough even if u sit in front of it. And although it says utilities are included, BE PREPARED if u exceed the £10 per month. If it exceeds, the electricity get CUT OFF, and your food in the FRIDGE will go bad.. There is also NO way out, unless u find someone to replace you. if you can't, then you will have to pay foe the rental until the contract ends..And they will knock on your door on an early Saturday and Sunday, and OPEN IT even if you are sleeping. They don't wait for you to open the door, they just barge in after TWO KNOCKS and ONE word HELLO. They don't care if you are not properly dressed before coming in. No respect of privacy.

Leakage everywhere, and when you report it, they will just put it on paper with no action. At night, it is noisy with the traffic and you can hear people shouting like nobody else business. no peace of sleep..The only positive point is it is near the university. BUT, unless you don't mind living with the bugs and silverfish etc, then it is ok..I can't believe i have stayed here for 9 months this coming JUNE 2016.. Wanted to leave early, but was forced to stay or because they ask you to pay for the whole of contract. Glad i survive.. Paid a huge sum of money to get the bugs away, but its a waste.. it didn't work..
If you can find another place, please look for another one.
DONT MOVE IN.. please spread the word..

Jesus christ.
Reply 345
Hey Guys! I'm starting my postgraduate studies this September and planning on choosing St.Marks recidences. Any insights would be great. Are there any sort of rules there, those would be a killer. My other choices are Montague Burton, JBP and Leodis. Reviews are most welcome :h:
Original post by RZ9
Hey Guys! I'm starting my postgraduate studies this September and planning on choosing St.Marks recidences. Any insights would be great. Are there any sort of rules there, those would be a killer. My other choices are Montague Burton, JBP and Leodis. Reviews are most welcome :h:

St. Marks Residences, offered by the university is really good.. BUT, beware of St. Marks Court (not run by the university..it's just the road next to St. Marks Street..Went to view it once, it looks like a run-down place, like in the horror movies)
Reply 347
Original post by alice5555
St. Marks Residences, offered by the university is really good.. BUT, beware of St. Marks Court (not run by the university..it's just the road next to St. Marks Street..Went to view it once, it looks like a run-down place, like in the horror movies)

Huh
Original post by ak_27
I'm mostly going for Montague Burton as its near the business school. And since i can do without en suite, it makes sense. Any views on this accommodation, only con I've heard is that you have to walk uphill and that's not really an issue. Thanks!

Who told you it was near the business school? It's really not. It's situated on the other side of campus to the business school than Sentinel and the Tannery (it's sort of near leodis). It's not massively far away, but it's in no way 'near' the business school, there are many many other accommodations closer!
Reply 349
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy
Who told you it was near the business school? It's really not. It's situated on the other side of campus to the business school than Sentinel and the Tannery (it's sort of near leodis). It's not massively far away, but it's in no way 'near' the business school, there are many many other accommodations closer!

Isn't it like a 10 min walk. Thats not too bad. Any other pro/con of Montague Burton?
Reply 350
I really like Charles Morris? Has anyone stayed there before?
Hii, this may sound wierd but are you able to pick if your shower has a "movavble head"?
Do the showers in sentiel tower and the tannery have a moveable head?

Also does anyone have pictures of what cityside actually lools like on the inside?

Also which accomodations tend to have larger rooms?

And is the tannery/ sientel tower purely full of medical and dental and buisness and nursing students or are there a variety of other students?
Reply 352
Hi everyone! I've applied to Charles Morris and don't really know much about it, however I'm just wondering if there's quite a lot of international students that apply there? (As much as i think I international students are great) ideally I'd like to have a few English people in my flat as well... I'm a girly girl who would like a sociable and party atmosphere. So if anyone who knows more about CM or who has lived in CM before could give me some info that would be great! X
I want a room with an en suite which I don't have to share with anymore else. Which accommodation offers that. Don't care if self catered or not. I just want my own bathroom which I don't have to share. Also not to crazy and noisy
Thanks
Do you have to put a deposit down for your accommodation? If so when?
Do all the rooms in the Tannery each have their own bathrooms which are not shared?

Thanks
Reply 356
Do you have to put a deposit down for your accommodation? If so when?

i was totally wondering this does anyone know anything about this

How does the payment work for it? presumably after allocation they ask for bank details?
Original post by cilla_e
Hii, this may sound wierd but are you able to pick if your shower has a "movavble head"?
Do the showers in sentiel tower and the tannery have a moveable head?

Also does anyone have pictures of what cityside actually lools like on the inside?

Also which accomodations tend to have larger rooms?

And is the tannery/ sientel tower purely full of medical and dental and buisness and nursing students or are there a variety of other students?

You are not able to pick no. Sentinel has movable heads, the Tannery does not (100% certain on this as I live in Sentinel, and have seen my friend's en suite in the Tannery)

The larger rooms tend to come in accommodations that are shared bathrooms, and I don't think any of them can be classed as incredibly spacious! But it's only for 7 months, 5 months if you go home for christmas and easter break!
Original post by may_1
i was totally wondering this does anyone know anything about this

How does the payment work for it? presumably after allocation they ask for bank details?

When you are allocated your accommodation (The first two weeks of September usually) you will receive an email asking you to pay your deposit (mine was £200, which I *think* is the same for all uni ran halls) and a small non returnable amount for activities (mine was £20) within 2 weeks, in order to secure your room. You can then choose how to pay your rent. I think the options were the whole lot up front, or termly (3 times a year, a few weeks after student finance goes in)
I want a room with an en suite which I don't have to share with anymore else. Which accommodation offers that. Don't care if self catered or not. I just want my own bathroom which I don't have to share. Also not to crazy and noisy
Thanks

anything that says 'en-suite' will suit you

Quick Reply

Latest