The Student Room Group

equity and trusts- did I just screw it up??

hi guys

please help I'm going crazy lol
sat my E&T GDL exam and thought it went pretty well. Today I remembered maybe I screwed up on the dates aspect of the secret trusts question but other than that i think throughout the paper my responses were solid with caselaw/theory weaved in to support whatever i said

just thinking though would it be stupidly unrealistic to think i still had a chance of high commendation/poss distinction in that paper? i was really happy with it yesterday as i've had a bit of a **** time recently and really needed a boost like yesterday's paper but now think they'll pull my grade down for such similar mistakes?

any input/similar experiences would be greatly valued as I feel a bit **** right now and i know i should put it out of my head as i have other exams to concentrate on but i just want to know how badly it will reflect on my grade? if anyone has any similar stories about how they thought they screwed up and actually it turned out ok, would be much appreciated!

cheers
Reply 1
I heard some people talking in our common room about the E&T Exam, said it was quite tricky.

Did you apply knowledge? Did you state authorities with your principles? You get marks for application of knowledge even if you didn't get the law right.

Doesn't matter if you don't get a commendation or distinction, even global law firms don't necessarily care so long as you pass, and have a 2:i at Undergraduate level.

I think you expect too much of yourself, concentrate on your IRE and statute exams - you can really bump your grade up with them.
Original post by Mimir
I heard some people talking in our common room about the E&T Exam, said it was quite tricky.

Did you apply knowledge? Did you state authorities with your principles? You get marks for application of knowledge even if you didn't get the law right.

Doesn't matter if you don't get a commendation or distinction, even global law firms don't necessarily care so long as you pass, and have a 2:i at Undergraduate level.

I think you expect too much of yourself, concentrate on your IRE and statute exams - you can really bump your grade up with them.

As far as i can tell yeah, i applied case law and principles throughout but there will be mistakes in me not spotting an issue etc like with the dates for some secret trusts i think i just thought i'd done it previous so maybe didn't need to keep referring to it again and again i don't know :frown:
The problem is i got a 2:2 in my UG, final year was really bad with my family and things have been disruptive since. Doesnt fill me with much hope that nobody considers the gdl grade seeing as my UG was pretty poor
Reply 3
Original post by ChristopherWood
As far as i can tell yeah, i applied case law and principles throughout but there will be mistakes in me not spotting an issue etc like with the dates for some secret trusts i think i just thought i'd done it previous so maybe didn't need to keep referring to it again and again i don't know :frown:
The problem is i got a 2:2 in my UG, final year was really bad with my family and things have been disruptive since. Doesnt fill me with much hope that nobody considers the gdl grade seeing as my UG was pretty poor

Issue spotting is important but there are so many issues in GDL papers that you can't really address all of them in massive detail - it's more important you did the key ones in the appropriate amount of depth. Did you conclude (IE: If the question read "advise the parties" did you advise the parties)?

So, you got a 2:ii. That's A&O and 'magic circle' out of the window. No biggy. Focus on passing the GDL and building up areas outside Law for your CV.
Original post by Mimir
Issue spotting is important but there are so many issues in GDL papers that you can't really address all of them in massive detail - it's more important you did the key ones in the appropriate amount of depth. Did you conclude (IE: If the question read "advise the parties" did you advise the parties)?

So, you got a 2:ii. That's A&O and 'magic circle' out of the window. No biggy. Focus on passing the GDL and building up areas outside Law for your CV.

Lol yeah i definitely advised them :smile: thanks pal its reassuring to hear its not completely over for me as a lawyer.. Did think that the GDL would have more weight considering how intense it is (not to mention the fees..) oh well
Reply 5
Original post by ChristopherWood
Lol yeah i definitely advised them :smile: thanks pal its reassuring to hear its not completely over for me as a lawyer.. Did think that the GDL would have more weight considering how intense it is (not to mention the fees..) oh well

Then you've picked marks up for concluding. So many people don't conclude, the tutors are always banging on about it, especially in contract and crime.

It's not over. Everyone has an LLB, GDL, LPC or BPTC. You just need to find a USP. Go speak to the careers department, they'll advise you better.
Original post by Mimir
Then you've picked marks up for concluding. So many people don't conclude, the tutors are always banging on about it, especially in contract and crime.

It's not over. Everyone has an LLB, GDL, LPC or BPTC. You just need to find a USP. Go speak to the careers department, they'll advise you better.

Cheers mate yeah definitely will do 👍🏻

Quick Reply

Latest