The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE PHYSICS UNIT 1 Question Game!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CaSama9
energy cant be created or destroyed but can be dissipitated or transformed from one form to another.

What is CMBR and what does it suggest?

Cosmic microwave background radiation and it is a piece of evidence that supports the big bang theory
Original post by jazz_xox_
In longitudinal waves, what is it that is compressed and is in rarefaction? - I don't know the answer so please help haha

The compressions are when the waves are more closely compact for example i
I I I I IIII I I I I IIIIIII I I I I I IIIII
It normally looks something like this ish, the compressions are the bits where the lines are really close together (compressed)

The rarefactions are where the waves are more spread out (bigger gaps between the lines)
I hope this helps :smile:
PS. I've just seen that this question has already been answered but here it is anyway
(edited 7 years ago)
Q. Describe how hydroelectric power generates electricity?
Please help explain what a conductor does and an insulator?
Reply 84
Original post by nisha.sri
Quick question
do you need to know the processes of all the renewable processes ?

not all you need to know they turn a turbine which turns a generator
Original post by Abuzar133
Please help explain what a conductor does and an insulator?

Conductor; Is a material that transfers heat energy through the material quickly. Conductors have particles that are closer together and therefor will collide more often, passing their heat energy along.
- metal is a good conductor due to its free electrons being able to transfer the heat throughout the material.

Insulator: Is a material that conducts (transfers - I think this is the right word) heat energy more slowly. Insulators have larger spaces between their particles.
- air and plastic are good insulators

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions feel free to ask and I'll try my best to help although i don't know everything :smile:
What is meant by national grid?
Original post by nisha.sri
Quick question
do you need to know the processes of all the renewable processes ?

I would try and have a brief idea about them. For example know the difference between wave and tidal and understand what geothermal and hydroelectric power (including pumped storage) is. I would recommend looking on the specification if you're unsure.
Original post by rebeccamaria
What is meant by national grid?

A network of pylons and cables that transfers electricity from power stations to all across the UK where it's needed, in homes, industry etc

Q. Explain the differences between radio and micro waves
I dont know anything i need some serioues helpp someome please whizz through the basics omg
Reply 90
Original post by siobhanx13
A network of pylons and cables that transfers electricity from power stations to all across the UK where it's needed, in homes, industry etc

Radio waves have a longer wavelength so have a higher frequency. Radio waves cant penetrate the earth's ionosphere so cant be used for satellites.
The lower the U - Value the....
(Complete the sentence)
(1 mark)
Reply 92
Q: What is a U-vaule? ( what does it show)
Original post by thatnerdygirl001
(Complete the sentence)
(1 mark)

better the material (for insulation)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 94
(Complete the sentence)
(1 mark)

Better the insulator
Original post by siobhanx13

Isnt it a network on cables and transformers...? I just did the june 13 past paper and that was the answer to that question
I don't understand how but it just is
Original post by rlb2000
Q: What is a U-vaule? ( what does it show)

How good of an insulator a material is.
(Complete the sentence)
(1 mark)

better the insulator
Original post by CaSama9
payback time is the time it takes for an energy saving installation to pay back the amount of money it took for you to pay for it.

2 and a half years

What is the doppler effect

The Doppler Effect is the change in the frequency ( and consequently wavelength) of a wave ( sound, light etc) depending on the distance between the observer and the object.

How is electricity produced via waves?
Original post by Dizgurl
The Doppler Effect is the change in the frequency ( and consequently wavelength) of a wave ( sound, light etc) depending on the distance between the observer and the object.

How is electricity produced via waves?

Generators are placed in the Ocean which uses the Kinetic energy of the waves to turn the generator - generating electricity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending