The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Help with a very complicated situation about applying for Uni

Hi, my friend's in a very serious complicated situation. Ill try to explain very shortly. Basically, they have applied for Indefinite leave to remain visa but got rejected and were given the right to appeal and have appealed. They have an unconditional offer from the university, however, cannot finalise the process as they cannot be a UK student since they don't have residency or citizenship, however, the uni have said that they cannot continue with the visa for international student without their papers which are still currently at the Home Office and because they're currently in the appeal. When they appealed, their solicitor said that they would still be able to go to uni, however, this was last year. They have tried to get in contact with their solicitor recently to see what they have to say about it now that it's nearer the time, although the solicitor has not replied. If there's anyone who can help with the situation (hopefully you can sort of understand what's happened), that would be great.
Thanks
Original post by Chazzawazza

What do you think posters on TSR can do? Your friend needs to discuss the situation with the Solicitor and with the University. The Solicitor needs to explain when the documents might be available and your friend needs to discuss with the university if there can be any leeway in deadlines, given their status. If the worst comes to the worst, your friend may have to arrange for a one year deferment of their uni place.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
What do you think posters on TSR can do? Your friend needs to discuss the situation with the Solicitor and with the University. The Solicitor needs to explain when the documents might be available and your friend needs to discuss with the university if there can be any leeway in deadlines, given their status. If the worst comes to the worst, your friend may have to arrange for a one year deferment of their uni place.

I'm on here because they messaged their solicitor about 2 weeks ago and they havent replied, i was seeing if anyone knew of this situation and could possibly help in any way.
edit: they have already taken a gap year and would not like to repeat.
Reply 3
It may sound a little silly, but perhaps if your friend currently lives within the UK it'd be worth writing to their local MP about the issue? The likelihood is that not much will come of it, but if you have the time, I think it's worth a try.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending