The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Hi all,

Just wanted to ask what the deal is if I'm still "seeking college membership" for 3 weeks. I've applied to Jesus as my first choice but it still has not changed to "under consideration." Is this the norm?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Immunologycancer
Hi all,

Just wanted to ask what the deal is if I'm still "seeking college membership" for 3 weeks. I've applied to Jesus as my first choice but it still has not changed to "under consideration." Is this the norm?

It was the same for me. It only changed to "Unsucessful at..., seeking college membership" when I was rejected from my first choice. I assume that it means that your application is still being considered by Jesus.
Original post by Immunologycancer
Hi all,

Original post by Maria Z
It was the same for me. It only changed to "Unsucessful at..., seeking college membership" when I was rejected from my first choice. I assume that it means that your application is still being considered by Jesus.

BoGS is very busy at the moment, and keeping up records of which Colleges an applicant's file is at, is a very low priority task, compared with processing the academic side - especially as a place at a College is guaranteed.

Colleges are individual institutions and have different processes in regard to applications, and it can even differ between applications. They usually have some form of 'gathered field' process, which may take the form of a weekly meeting, fortnightly, three weekly etc between admissions staff, and this may vary during the application season, and be altered by the availability of individuals involved.

Conversely, it is sometimes possible for a College to make an immediate decision, because the application is from the xxxth applicant on y degree in z subject and they already have a high number of those and have decided not to take any more, or the profile of the applicant is unique and would add to the diversity of the postgrad cohort.
I was just wondering, if we don't live in college accommodation, how often would we have to actually go to the college? It looks like I'll be commuting in from another town, and my college isn't exactly the most central.
Original post by tsukurutazaki
I was just wondering, if we don't live in college accommodation, how often would we have to actually go to the college? It looks like I'll be commuting in from another town, and my college isn't exactly the most central.

Hi there, as a postgraduate student don't we have to live within 10 miles of the centre of Cambridge?

Original post by biologynerd95
Hi there, as a postgraduate student don't we have to live within 10 miles of the centre of Cambridge?

There aren't any specific times when you HAVE to be in College - maybe Matriculation, and of course Graduation, if you attend in person, starts from College. But you are paying a lot of money towards its facilities, it seems a pity not to use some of that by visiting once in a while! Most social activities will at least start in the MCR or bar, because most students do live in or near College, College groups and societies meet in College etc.

And yes, you do have to 'keep term' by living within a specific distance of St Mary's Church, unless you have a very rare to get exemption.
Original post by threeportdrift
There aren't any specific times when you HAVE to be in College - maybe Matriculation, and of course Graduation, if you attend in person, starts from College. But you are paying a lot of money towards its facilities, it seems a pity not to use some of that by visiting once in a while! Most social activities will at least start in the MCR or bar, because most students do live in or near College, College groups and societies meet in College etc.

And yes, you do have to 'keep term' by living within a specific distance of St Mary's Church, unless you have a very rare to get exemption.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know that we were required to live within ten miles of St Mary's. Would having the family home 13 miles away that I can easily commute from by train not be sufficient reason?
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know that we were required to live within ten miles of St Mary's. Would having the family home 13 miles away that I can easily commute from by train not be sufficient reason?

You should speak to the Senior Tutor at your College. Unfortunately the requirement to live within 10 miles (3.5 I think for UG) of Great St Mary's Church is written into the statues for the award of the degree. It's not some modern welfare reason, for example. So mature students commuting from London is not usually allowed. However, each College may take it's own view, and it is probably something that can be negotiated so long as your academic performance remains on track.

Just found this which suggests common sense might prevail

http://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac.uk/new-students/manage-your-student-information/graduate-students/terms-study
You should speak to the Senior Tutor at your College. Unfortunately the requirement to live within 10 miles (3.5 I think for UG) of Great St Mary's Church is written into the statues for the award of the degree. It's not some modern welfare reason, for example. So mature students commuting from London is not usually allowed. However, each College may take it's own view, and it is probably something that can be negotiated so long as your academic performance remains on track.

http://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac.uk/new-students/manage-your-student-information/graduate-students/terms-study

Thanks. I haven't even accepted the offer yet - I wouldn't be able to afford to accept if I can't commute, which would only take me around 40 minutes. So it's frustrating to say the least if they don't let me.
Thanks. I haven't even accepted the offer yet - I wouldn't be able to afford to accept if I can't commute, which would only take me around 40 minutes. So it's frustrating to say the least if they don't let me.

Well accept the offer first, then contact the Senior Tutor when your College sends out its accommodation information.
Well accept the offer first, then contact the Senior Tutor when your College sends out its accommodation information.

I don't want to accept the offer if I can't end up going because I can't afford the accommodation prices. Can I not just email the college's senior tutor before accepting?
I don't want to accept the offer if I can't end up going because I can't afford the accommodation prices. Can I not just email the college's senior tutor before accepting?

It doesn't cost anything to accept the offer and it's standard practice. Accept offers as they come in, if there is any chance of you accepting them, and then decide when you know what your options are. All universities understand this process, and if they don't want to accept the consequences of this, they ask for a non-refundable deposit. If you speak to the Senior Tutor before accepting, you are wasting their time with a hypothetical and you probably won't get an answer, or you will get the standard answer - no! Show commitment and intent, but then email when accommodation comes to the front of the College's agenda in late summer, and you will likely get more specific consideration. As it used to be a blanket No, the ability to even make the request formally, sounds as though they are becoming more flexible.
It doesn't cost anything to accept the offer and it's standard practice. Accept offers as they come in, if there is any chance of you accepting them, and then decide when you know what your options are. All universities understand this process, and if they don't want to accept the consequences of this, they ask for a non-refundable deposit. If you speak to the Senior Tutor before accepting, you are wasting their time with a hypothetical and you probably won't get an answer, or you will get the standard answer - no! Show commitment and intent, but then email when accommodation comes to the front of the College's agenda in late summer, and you will likely get more specific consideration. As it used to be a blanket No, the ability to even make the request formally, sounds as though they are becoming more flexible.

I thought we weren't supposed to accept offers unless we were certain that we'd attend? Apologies for all of the questions.
I thought we weren't supposed to accept offers unless we were certain that we'd attend? Apologies for all of the questions.

No, it's standard practice to accept offers if you think you might attend, and only reject if you are sure you won't. There are pro's and cons, but the funding situation is such that people can't make rational decisions while admission processes are not centralised (which they never will be).

If a University wants to ensure that yes means yes, they ask for a non-refundable deposit because they know that parting with money focusses the mind!
No, it's standard practice to accept offers if you think you might attend, and only reject if you are sure you won't. There are pro's and cons, but the funding situation is such that people can't make rational decisions while admission processes are not centralised (which they never will be).

If a University wants to ensure that yes means yes, they ask for a non-refundable deposit because they know that parting with money focusses the mind!

Thanks for your help. So if I accept the offer and then later have to reject it for financial reasons, how would I go about rejecting it?
Thanks for your help. So if I accept the offer and then later have to reject it for financial reasons, how would I go about rejecting it?

Just email them and say Thank you for the offer on X course, but I am unable to meet the financial requirements to take up my place in 2016 - or words to that effect. It happens all the time, and they over-offer in anticipation and very accurately to take account of this.

Hi there, this question may sound foolish, but do you know if the ten mile is a ten mile radius as opposed to actual journey length? For example my house is within a ten mile radius but is around eleven miles to actually drive (it is only 9.8 miles to actually drive to the college but more to the market square). Presumably this is acceptable?
Reply 2857
Original post by TremelliusScrofa
Hi there, this question may sound foolish, but do you know if the ten mile is a ten mile radius as opposed to actual journey length? For example my house is within a ten mile radius but is around eleven miles to actually drive (it is only 9.8 miles to actually drive to the college but more to the market square). Presumably this is acceptable?

Email the Graduate Admissions Board.

I'm not speaking with any authority/experience, but I would say it seems pretty reasonable that they would be fine for you to commute 11 miles. I'd say the rule is to stop people commuting 30+ miles from places like London.
On the topic of accommodation, circumstances require that I live in London. PhD students have occasional meetings with supervisors - otherwise it's all self-study. I get why MPhils would be required to follow the 10 mile rule - but as a PhD student, I dont see how it is so important to be in Cambridge all the time as long as you're getting your work done. Is it possible to just live in London and not tell anyone? Would the university really find out if i'm not living in Cambridge?
Original post by TremelliusScrofa

It's always been spoken of as a radius, not road miles. I'd just say pointedly at some point 'It's a good job my [village] is just within 10 miles!' and move the conversation on. As I say, with the increase in the number of mature students and the realisation that part timers can't 'keep term' (they used to have a similar regulation for their residential sessions) they do seem to be relaxing the interpretation. However, it remains in the statutes as a clearly definitive requirement to getting a degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending