The Student Room Group

Q: Engineering A* Mathematics Query

Hi. Just wondering. Is it impossible to get into an Engineering course at Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial without an A* in GCE A-Level Mathematics?

I've seen the entry requirements but has anyone actually gotten into the courses with only an A in said subject? I'm aware that a lot of universities roll out offers subject to obtaining at least one grade less from the standard entry requirements.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by MAS98
Hi. Just wondering. Is it impossible to get into an Engineering course at Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial without an A* in GCE A-Level Mathematics?

I've seen the entry requirements but has anyone actually gotten into the courses with only an A in said subject? I'm aware that a lot of universities roll out offers subject to obtaining at least one grade less from the standard entry requirements.

Thanks in advance.

If thats what they ask for then thats what they will accept, any lower is a no, those 3 unis have lots of applicants who will get A*A*A or more so can be very picky, especially as maths is probably the most important A-level for engineering :smile:

Lots of unis accept lower grades than their offer for certain subjects but none of those are top 3 universities
Reply 2
Original post by madmadmax321
If thats what they ask for then thats what they will accept, any lower is a no, those 3 unis have lots of applicants who will get A*A*A or more so can be very picky, especially as maths is probably the most important A-level for engineering :smile:

Lots of unis accept lower grades than their offer for certain subjects but none of those are top 3 universities

Ah thank you!!
Reply 3
Original post by MAS98

Thanks in advance.

Nope. The A* in maths is a pretty solid requirement. And most will have A* in FM too.

You *might* get away with missing the A* Physics requirement. But it's not that likely.

Quick Reply

Latest