The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Music 2015/2016 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="Kxjzh;65045421"]
Original post by tinyshadow0

Here are Handel and Chopin! I've written about any elements you could be asked about for an essay but obviously you would only be asked about five of these.

I think this was too detailed, really good though but in the exam I think you can write more basic points and still get 10/10. My teacher said for each section you need to include at least 2 basic points and try explain them however not too far. If you look on the mark schemes of past years the points are just bullet pointed
[QUOTE="Kxjzh;65045421"]
Original post by tinyshadow0

Here are Handel and Chopin! I've written about any elements you could be asked about for an essay but obviously you would only be asked about five of these.

I think this was too detailed, really good though but in the exam I think you can write more basic points and still get 10/10. My teacher said for each section you need to include at least 2 basic points and try explain them however not too far. If you look on the mark schemes of past years the points are just bullet pointed
Reply 42
[QUOTE="lucyg2000;65084487"]
Original post by Kxjzh

I agree. I was just going for a definite 10/10! In the exam, if you could write that much I'd be impressed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
There definitely isn't a harpsichord in Handel. There are in most baroque orchestras but not in And the Glory of the lord

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by aqvague
There definitely isn't a harpsichord in Handel. There are in most baroque orchestras but not in And the Glory of the lord

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are different versions! The original version we studied has a harpsichord continuo. The 'alternative' version has an organ continuo. The alternative version is generally the one used, but I only found this out after I'd written the essay! Sorry for any confusion!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
I see, I'm sure I've seen it been marked incorrect I just wanted to make sure noone wrote it and lost marks unnecessarily
Reply 46
Original post by aqvague
I see, I'm sure I've seen it been marked incorrect I just wanted to make sure noone wrote it and lost marks unnecessarily

Yeah, you have to be certain which version you're listening to!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Yh they'll always play the same version for each piece in the exam (1 of the 3 for Rag Death) and expect you to answer the essay based on that particular recording.
Reply 48
Original post by aqvague
Yh they'll always play the same version for each piece in the exam (1 of the 3 for Rag Death) and expect you to answer the essay based on that particular recording.

For the Rag Desh essay question (2014) they asked you to specify which version you have studied.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Yes sorry I was referring to the listening questions. As an essay you can write about any of them
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xif3DyV_nEihXtP6D62g7DkA34wiLGp9x-vgxA4kykY/edit

Here is a prediction of what is likely to come up in the a questions and my guesses for the B question. I think that the B question will be on Chopin and Jeff Buckley as if you follow the pattern for section A Capercaille and Handel have to come up and if a question comes up on section A then it won't do on section B. I could be completely wrong however and they may change the pattern this year.
Reply 51
Original post by asox
PEARSON EDEXCEL GCSE MUSIC THREAD

Here are some resources which may be useful for revision:

Resource 1
Resource 2
Resource 3
Resource 4
Resource 5

Also, post your answers to the following questions:
1 Favourite Set Piece
2 Least Favourite Set Piece
3 Most Confident Set Piece
4 Least Confident Set Piece
5 Do You Regret Taking Music?
6 Have You Started Revising Yet

Predictions for the essays in Section B of the paper are also helpful so if you have any suggestions please say.

Other Resources would also be useful!

:smile:

1 Favourite Set Piece-Chopin
2 Least Favourite Set Piece-Grace
3 Most Confident Set Piece-Rag Desh (You just have to remember the instruments and structure. That's it!)
4 Least Confident Set Piece-Grace
5 Do You Regret Taking Music?-Definitely not! I am doing it for A Level.
6 Have You Started Revising Yet-Started all my revision at the start of the year so I don't have to do as much now.

PREDICTIONS:
These are important as I am very confident these are the ones.
SECTION A:
AOS 1-Mozart, Chopin
AOS 2-Reich, Bernstein
AOS 3-Buckley, Davis
AOS 4-Koko, Rag Desh

SECTION B:
AOS 1-Handel
AOS 2-NOTHING (No Schoenberg)
AOS 3-NOTHING (No Moby)
AOS 4-Capercallie
Reply 52
1 Favourite Set Piece Handel
2 Least Favourite Set Piece Rag Desh - sooo long to listen to and there are contradictions in the text book and revision guide about some of the instruments
3 Most Confident Set Piece Chopin or Handel
4 Least Confident Set Piece Rag Desh
5 Do You Regret Taking Music? No I like it although listening to the works can be really boring when you know them well especially the ones which are really long
6 Have You Started Revising Yet Yup for a couple of weeks now

Capercaillie and Handel are the two essays that haven't come up yet so it will probably be those but maybe they'll choose something else deliberately cos they know everyone will be revising those two.

Thanks for the model essays they are great! I've been using these videos to revise they have images coming up at the right points in the music which is really helpful https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSe5v4U3E41ekPXuPkJIo5GNm86Xjra-i

Also practising the past papers and essay writing in timed conditions
Does anyone know where I can find the scores for the set works online? I don't really need them as most information is in my revision guide, and the note-filling in part is generally either a sequence or in steps, but still nice to have.
Original post by zeldor711
Does anyone know where I can find the scores for the set works online? I don't really need them as most information is in my revision guide, and the note-filling in part is generally either a sequence or in steps, but still nice to have.

I think that most of the scores are copyrighted, so you'll probably not be able to access them online. You could always buy the anthology? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-GCSE-Anthology-Music/dp/1846904056

Unless someone else can suggest something else..
Reply 55
Favourite Set Piece Grace
Least Favourite Set Piece Rag Desh
Most Confident Set Piece Chopin
Least Confident Set Piece Capercallie
Do You Regret Taking Music? Definitely not :smile:
Have You Started Revising Yet Yup

For predictions I reckon that either Handel or Capercallie are going to come up - I think it would be strange if both of them were on there considering the papers so far this year c: As for the other questions, I think pretty much anything could come up, however I think Rag Desh is pretty likely.
Reply 56
Original post by asox

Here are some resources which may be useful for revision:

Resource 1
Resource 2
Resource 3
Resource 4
Resource 5

Also, post your answers to the following questions:
1 Favourite Set Piece
2 Least Favourite Set Piece
3 Most Confident Set Piece
4 Least Confident Set Piece
5 Do You Regret Taking Music?
6 Have You Started Revising Yet

Predictions for the essays in Section B of the paper are also helpful so if you have any suggestions please say.

Other Resources would also be useful!

:smile:

CaptureMusic.PNG
Original post by aqvague

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is and it plays Basso Continue
Reply 58
Original post by Ministralia
There is and it plays Basso Continue

There definitely isnt - the basso continuo has an Organ, a Cello and a Double Bass

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59

1 Favourite Set Piece - RAG DESH
2 Least Favourite Set Piece - BERNSTEIN
3 Most Confident Set Piece - RAG DESH
4 Least Confident Set Piece - BERNSTEIN
5 Do You Regret Taking Music? - 50/50
6 Have You Started Revising Yet? - A little

This is wat I predict
CaptureMusic.PNG

Quick Reply