The Student Room Group

Is there anyone doing the AQA A2 RST3F paper? Religion and Contemporary Soc.

Is there actually anyone on here doing this paper? RST3F:confused:

If so, this can be a thread for scholars and help and advice.
Has anyone got any good scholars for challenges posed by divisions within religions?

I'm not sure how effective using Brierley is, and I need more than just him.:biggrin::frown:
im doing rst3f, im so happy ive found someone whos actually doing it!!

what questions do you think are going to come up for each topic?
Original post by sofi_hadid
im doing rst3f, im so happy ive found someone whos actually doing it!!

what questions do you think are going to come up for each topic?

Ohmyy- yaay!

Well I'm doing topics 2 and 3 -

Challenges to religion, I think a question is most likely to come up on the nature of a secular society, only because it's the only question they have asked only once. Equally, there's a specimen question that's never been asked in this wording:

"Examine the effect of secularisation on religious cultures and communities within the UK" (30 marks)
"Religion is needed in a secular society" (20 marks)

For Spirituality chances are, they'll ask something to do with RERU, which I detest but I'm prepping paragraphs of points of their work. But I'm really confused about how to structure a question on RERU.
Original post by chaotic.school
Ohmyy- yaay!

Well I'm doing topics 2 and 3 -

Challenges to religion, I think a question is most likely to come up on the nature of a secular society, only because it's the only question they have asked only once. Equally, there's a specimen question that's never been asked in this wording:

"Examine the effect of secularisation on religious cultures and communities within the UK" (30 marks)
"Religion is needed in a secular society" (20 marks)

For Spirituality chances are, they'll ask something to do with RERU, which I detest but I'm prepping paragraphs of points of their work. But I'm really confused about how to structure a question on RERU.

SAME!! but im still going to revise some of topic 1 as a back up.

i hope the effect of secularisation comes up rather than the nature of a secular society. What examples would you use for the nature of secular society or would you draw comparisons to USA and France which are already secular?

for RERU i would have a breif summary about alister hardy and why RERU was set up and the question 'have you ever been aware of, or influenced by a presence or power, whether you call it God or not, which is different from your everyday self?' Then i would go on to talk about the types of religious spirituality they look at. For my second paragraph i would look at the idea of determining whether or not the religious experiences shared are truthful and the chances that people may have hallucinated or exaggerated and then for my third paragraph i would talk about how william james argued the conditions of religious experience are psychological and pharmaceutical rather than cultural but such experiences can be seen as religious as there is the presence of a higher being. then i would conclude by summarising each point.

With an AO2 on RERU i would think it would be 'the work of RERU is ineffective' Asses this claim. but i think with a question on RERU for AO1 the AO2 is likely to be really open and it could be anything so its difficult to predict the AO2.

Im also confused about the scholars in topic 3, what scholars would be most suitable to use with a question on RERU?
Original post by sofi_hadid
SAME!! but im still going to revise some of topic 1 as a back up.

i hope the effect of secularisation comes up rather than the nature of a secular society. What examples would you use for the nature of secular society or would you draw comparisons to USA and France which are already secular?

for RERU i would have a breif summary about alister hardy and why RERU was set up and the question 'have you ever been aware of, or influenced by a presence or power, whether you call it God or not, which is different from your everyday self?' Then i would go on to talk about the types of religious spirituality they look at. For my second paragraph i would look at the idea of determining whether or not the religious experiences shared are truthful and the chances that people may have hallucinated or exaggerated and then for my third paragraph i would talk about how william james argued the conditions of religious experience are psychological and pharmaceutical rather than cultural but such experiences can be seen as religious as there is the presence of a higher being. then i would conclude by summarising each point.

With an AO2 on RERU i would think it would be 'the work of RERU is ineffective' Asses this claim. but i think with a question on RERU for AO1 the AO2 is likely to be really open and it could be anything so its difficult to predict the AO2.

Im also confused about the scholars in topic 3, what scholars would be most suitable to use with a question on RERU?

I doubt it will be something on the effect of secularisation, but in terms of the secular society question, you can tackle it using the 6 definitions of secularisation but talking about them as though it has already occurred, and give the examiner an insight of what it would be like and its significance.

I've written the secular society essay and I actually did quite good in it. I used scholars such as Aldridge, to link to his analysis of France and USA's secular society, and Munby and his views about a secular society being a pluralistic society (which would link to the end process of diversification). I used examples from France and their secular state mainly e.g. the Hijab ban within education

I have a few scholars for religious experience:

Teresea of Avila, gave a protocol for identifying religious experiences:
1. the experience should be within the traditions of the church (I'm guessing a divine experience e.g. direct connection with god)
2. the religious experience should be discussed with a spiritual advisor
3. there should be some form or shape of change in that persons life

Otto claimed that religious experience is a personal exp. with the numinous and it evokes feeling of awe and wonder and intuition

William James' 4 characteristics of religious exp.
1. ineffability (exp. is beyond words)
2. Noetic quality (acquired deep and meaningful truth)
3. Transiency
4. Passivity (the exp. was out of the persons control, it was not sought)

Bultmann, all miracles are mythological

Ramsey, Miracles are an unusual complex of incidents with which a new insight into truth is bound up.

Hope this helps!!

For topic 2, do you have any solid points and examples for different divisions with religion?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending