The Student Room Group

Failing AS and Passing A2.

So here is the story. I'm pretty much failing my AS, an by failing AS i mean BBBE OR ABBE if i were to pass then it would be AAAE though from all the exams i have done (Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Economics) i highly doubt the AAAE. It is more likely i could end up with an A in Physics, a B in Chemistry a B in Maths and an E in Economics.

Mostly it is Maths that is disappointing. Halfway through the maths course i would often get lower grades when i did a formal test/exam than when i did a practice test form a past paper, under the same constraints.

Anyway after my last exam, which is S1 on 15th June i am basically going to self study the entire math modules for AS and A2 sitting the IAL exams this time, in January , that would be C12, S1, C34, M1. After my last maths exam i will go on to teach myself the entire AS & A2 Further Maths, + 3 Applied Modules. This would be FP1, FP2, FP3 M2, D1 & maybe D2 or S2 (I did not see D2 listed as part of the exams held in June). Yes I might get a B in AS maths and so this might be highly unadvised, but it's not due to ignorance but the very idea that i fail to get what i need done in the specified time frame, no matter how easy or difficult something may be, i'll rarely ever complete an entire exam paper.

Now for my question, if i were to fail my AS achieving the grades BBBE and end up passing A2 with grades ranging from A*A*A*A* to AAAA would my AS grades destroy my chances of getting into a good university like ICL or Cambridge?

If i do get any replies thanks. And if you have any idea on how i could establish a more concise way of completing an AS & A2 in Maths and Further Maths in less than a year i would appreciate it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
So here is the story. I'm pretty much failing my AS, an by failing AS i mean BBBE OR ABBE if i were to pass then it would be AAAE though from all the exams i have done (Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Economics) i highly doubt the AAAE. It is more likely i could end up with an A in Physics, a B in Chemistry a B in Maths and an E in Economics.

Mostly it is Maths that is disappointing. Halfway through the maths course i would often get lower grades when i did a formal test/exam than when i did a practice test form a past paper, under the same constraints.

Anyway after my last exam, which is S1 on 15th June i am basically going to self study the entire math modules for AS and A2 sitting the IAL exams this time, in January , that would be C12, S1, C34, M1. After my last maths exam i will go on to teach myself the entire AS & A2 Further Maths, + 3 Applied Modules. This would be FP1, FP2, FP3 M2, D1 & maybe D2 or S2 (I did not see D2 listed as part of the exams held in June). Yes I might get a B in AS maths and so this might be highly unadvised, but it's not due to ignorance but the very idea that i fail to get what i need done in the specified time frame, no matter how easy or difficult something may be, i'll rarely ever complete an entire exam paper.

Now for my question, if i were to fail my AS achieving the grades BBBE and end up passing A2 with grades ranging from A*A*A*A* to AAAA would my AS grades destroy my chances of getting into a good university like ICL or Cambridge?

If i do get any replies thanks. And if you have any idea on how i could establish a more concise way of completing an AS & A2 in Maths and Further Maths in less than a year i would appreciate it.

Why do IAL?
I read the first paragraph and then stopped... ABBE is not a fail by any means, those results are a lot better than the majority.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Louisb19
Why do IAL?
I cant combine an IAL with a UK A level. And i think i would have a better chance of getting 100 UMS doing C12 than doing C1 & C2 independently.
I studied HARD for the C2 exams and I solved the Edexcel C2 Gold and Solomon papers. Was consistently scoring A's in those papers. The paper that we had today in comparison to the former two papers were not even hard to the slightest bit, so I'm hoping it goes well.

Today's C2 paper seemed as if the 2014 and the 2015 papers had a baby.
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
I cant combine an IAL with a UK A level. And i think i would have a better chance of getting 100 UMS doing C12 than doing C1 & C2 independently.

Just take 12 maths modules next year (including your retakes). You can't take IAL in the UK anyway.

I did something similar taking my Maths AS (C1, C2, M1) in year 12 and then taking my A2 Maths and FM in year 13 (C3, C4, FP1, FP2, FP3, M2, M3, S1, S2) along with STEP (1, 2, 3) and A2 Physics and Computer Science.

You will be fine if you work hard. If you take only 1 additional A2 (on top of Maths and FM) you should be ok since I found it manageable doing what I did.

If you wanna PM me next year for advice I will be happy to help.

I recommend you learn C3, C4 and get a good head start on your other A2 subject in the summer. I did this:

C3, C4 during summer
FP1, FP2, FP3 during the term September to December.
M2, M3 during January to March.
S1, S2 during March to April.

Just make sure you don't run out of time and that you have covered all content at the end of April. Idk if you wanna take step or not but bare in mind it take a lot of time (I've probably spent the same amount of time on STEP than I have on A2 Physics).
Original post by Louisb19
Just take 12 maths modules next year (including your retakes). You can't take IAL in the UK anyway.

I did something similar taking my Maths AS (C1, C2, M1) in year 12 and then taking my A2 Maths and FM in year 13 (C3, C4, FP1, FP2, FP3, M2, M3, S1, S2) along with STEP (1, 2, 3) and A2 Physics and Computer Science.

You will be fine if you work hard. If you take only 1 additional A2 (on top of Maths and FM) you should be ok since I found it manageable doing what I did.

If you wanna PM me next year for advice I will be happy to help.

I recommend you learn C3, C4 and get a good head start on your other A2 subject in the summer. I did this:

C3, C4 during summer
FP1, FP2, FP3 during the term September to December.
M2, M3 during January to March.
S1, S2 during March to April.

Just make sure you don't run out of time and that you have covered all content at the end of April. Idk if you wanna take step or not but bare in mind it take a lot of time (I've probably spent the same amount of time on STEP than I have on A2 Physics).
Thanks. I am an international student though. My school just does the UK A Level for some reason. I know you have not done D2, but do you think S2 was more helpful towards computer science, or do you think D2 would be more helpful. Also would you happen to know whether there is a D2 IAL exam nest year june can't seem to find the timetable anywhere, and it was not there last year.
Original post by Julieplec
I read the first paragraph and then stopped... ABBE is not a fail by any means, those results are a lot better than the majority.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If i were considering anything less than ICL, Cambridge or Oxford i really would not have a problem. I consider it failure because i put in so much work, more than the people who actually get A's (Physics, Chemistry & Maths) just to find out that i could end up with ABBE. So to me anything less than AAAE is terrible.
Original post by Mohammad2005
I studied HARD for the C2 exams and I solved the Edexcel C2 Gold and Solomon papers. Was consistently scoring A's in those papers. The paper that we had today in comparison to the former two papers were not even hard to the slightest bit, so I'm hoping it goes well.

Today's C2 paper seemed as if the 2014 and the 2015 papers had a baby.
It was not difficult i just failed to cope with the pressure and evidently fell apart.. Anyway just have to find a way to get 90% -100% in S1 to get an A.

Quick Reply

Latest