The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

If I achieve a 2.2 in my second year, and I am predicted a 2.1 overall, is there still chance?
Reply 621
Okay guys this is the first time I have posted on SR! Exciting times...
I'm in awe at everyone's stats. Anyway I'm thinking about applying to (2017 entry) Glasgow, Dundee, Aberdeen and not sure for my fourth choice...
Sitting UKCAT this summer.
Here are my details:
-Predicted: 2:1 / 1st molecular biology graduating in 2017 (here's hoping)
-HNC biomed A
Work experience:
- 1.5 years as a care assistant for disabled folk in their home. This is not dealing with the public as such but more 'person orientated' if that makes sense..
- 4 months as a nurses assistant at a children's camp infirmary abroad in the US,
- 2 days shadowing a general surgeon (again in US), first day shadowing surgeries and second day observing office duties.

My work experience is not expansive but I learned a heck of a lot from these experiences. I'm also volunteering at a local care home to gain more community experience...and I think I've hit gold with a plastic surgeon, just need to get that organised. Do you guys think my work experience is adequate enough? Any advice hugely appreciated!

Edit: forgot to mention I'm applying mostly to 5 year courses and maybe one GEM. I'm also doing research this summer using brand new gene editing technology that has potential to treat genetic abnormalities.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi everyone,

I just graduated from an American university with a degree in Biochemistry and Biotechnology (with an emphasis in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology). I got a 4.00 GPA (the maximum grade possible in the American system, equivalent to 1st class honours in the British system).

I currently work as a phlebotomist in a big hospital (which allows me to see a lot of traumas, and codes especially when I am working in the emergency room). I have volunteered about 1000 hours in the same hospital in the last 4 years. I have shadowed several doctors for a month last summer and I got to see lots of surgeries in several different specialties (peds, cardio, ortho, ENT, you name it...). Prior to coming to the USA, I have taken several CPR and first aid courses since age 14.
I have been doing research for three years now, and I will carry on a project with a new professor in the University I used to attend. It deals with area patterning of the primary cortex dependent of the expression of transcription factors in rodents. If it all goes well, I will be part of the next published paper! This professor did his postdoctoral with someone who established her research lab at King's (happy coincidences...).

I am going to take the UKCAT in August, but I am unsure which universities would be a good fit for me. I was looking for some advice on this matter. My initial plan was to apply for both GEM and 5 year programs at King's and Barts. I went to King's open day last summer. Is this a good idea? Are there any other universities that I should be considering?

Thank you so much,Peep
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm really hoping I get offered part time hours as an HCA. In my old job, I was meant to be part time but was constantly put down for full time hours and I can't balance volunteering, studying and work with my personal life at the moment. This is one of those times I hate living at home.

I haven't been offered a part time or full time position yet so would it be okay to email the recruitment officer and let them know I need part time instead of full time because I think I accidentally clicked full time on the application.

Original post by ArabianPhoenix
If I achieve a 2.2 in my second year, and I am predicted a 2.1 overall, is there still chance?

Should be fine. You can apply to Nottingham and St George's with a 2:2 but need to meet a higher GAMSAT score. You should check the individual requirements for universities because some might require you have already been awarded your degree.
Original post by PeepLeal
Hi everyone,

I just graduated from an American university with a degree in Biochemistry and Biotechnology (with an emphasis in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology). I got a 4.00 GPA (the maximum grade possible in the American system, equivalent to 1st class honours in the British system).

I currently work as a phlebotomist in a big hospital (which allows me to see a lot of traumas, and codes especially when I am working in the emergency room). I have volunteered about 1000 hours in the same hospital in the last 4 years. I have shadowed several doctors for a month last summer and I got to see lots of surgeries in several different specialties (peds, cardio, ortho, ENT, you name it...). Prior to coming to the USA, I have taken several CPR and first aid courses since age 14.
I have been doing research for three years now, and I will carry on a project with a new professor in the University I used to attend. It deals with area patterning of the primary cortex dependent of the expression of transcription factors in rodents. If it all goes well, I will be part of the next published paper! This professor did his postdoctoral with someone who established her research lab at King's (happy coincidences...).

I am going to take the UKCAT in August, but I am unsure which universities would be a good fit for me. I was looking for some advice on this matter. My initial plan was to apply for both GEM and 5 year programs at King's and Barts. I went to King's open day last summer. Is this a good idea? Are there any other universities that I should be considering?

Thank you so much,Peep

No point applying to both courses at Kings as they automatically consider you for the 5year if you aren't successful for 4 year.

Have you considered others outside of London? Cost of living is very high there and you may struggle, especially if you're paying higher fees (if you're international?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
GAMSAT or UKCAT is the decision I'm weighing up. The only GAMSAT requiring GEM I want to go to is Nottingham but I wonder whether to keep my options open!
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I'm really hoping I get offered part time hours as an HCA. In my old job, I was meant to be part time but was constantly put down for full time hours and I can't balance volunteering, studying and work with my personal life at the moment. This is one of those times I hate living at home.

I haven't been offered a part time or full time position yet so would it be okay to email the recruitment officer and let them know I need part time instead of full time because I think I accidentally clicked full time on the application.

Should be fine. You can apply to Nottingham and St George's with a 2:2 but need to meet a higher GAMSAT score. You should check the individual requirements for universities because some might require you have already been awarded your degree.

I'm sure it would be fine to ask for a part time post or if you don't want to be contracted even to part time hours just ask to be put on the bank list. There will be plenty of bank hours available that you can work when you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lisagee10
I'm sure it would be fine to ask for a part time post or if you don't want to be contracted even to part time hours just ask to be put on the bank list. There will be plenty of bank hours available that you can work when you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've confirmed I want to be permanent so I have some guarantee of hours. I really just need 18 June off for the Swansea open day and 13th and 14th September off but I might see if I can negotiate at least a couple more days off.

I haven't been assigned to a ward yet though. They've sent me the Occupational health stuff so I'm going to fill that in but I'm hoping they let me know which ward I'll be going on soon.

I'm really scared that I'll end up working alongside nurses who don't approve of my GEM dreams though. Should I keep that quiet unless they ask about it? I can't really lie about already being a graduate though since I put that on my application. I mentioned applying to medicine in the interview and none of the nurses had a problem with it.
I've confirmed I want to be permanent so I have some guarantee of hours. I really just need 18 June off for the Swansea open day and 13th and 14th September off but I might see if I can negotiate at least a couple more days off.

I haven't been assigned to a ward yet though. They've sent me the Occupational health stuff so I'm going to fill that in but I'm hoping they let me know which ward I'll be going on soon.

I'm really scared that I'll end up working alongside nurses who don't approve of my GEM dreams though. Should I keep that quiet unless they ask about it? I can't really lie about already being a graduate though since I put that on my application. I mentioned applying to medicine in the interview and none of the nurses had a problem with it.

I wouldn't mention it unless you're asked and get familiar with someone. Everyone in my job knows what I'm doing, most are supportive but unfortunately there's haters to be found in every walk of life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

90% of the staff ive spoke to about gem at my hospital (where im a hca) have been incredibly helpful and positive. The ones who have not been so kind have helped fuel the fire to prove them wrong
Original post by Lisagee10
I wouldn't mention it unless you're asked and get familiar with someone. Everyone in my job knows what I'm doing, most are supportive but unfortunately there's haters to be found in every walk of life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's sad.

The most negative reaction I've gotten is from a former GP who kept telling me I'm making a mistake. When she realised I was serious about it, she stopped discouraging me but still couldn't understand why. She said that "patients don't respect you."

To be fair, when I was in hospital, I was in so much pain, half the time I wanted to strangle the doctors and nurses taking care of me. I was so much nicer after my PCA morphine pump and once I was taken down to ICU b/c the surgeon didn't want to risk me being on an acute ward over the weekend.

I've mentioned to the nurses and HCA's (some of them at least) on the ward I volunteer on that I want to study GEM and they've been mostly cool about it since another one of the HCAs is doing undergrad medicine from September this year.

What was it like when you started off? Did you get like an induction for HCA specific training or shadow HCAs?

I used to babysit babies and toddlers when I was younger and got used to dealing with poo/vomit/urine but I'm really scared I'm going to be rubbish. I'm really hoping they put me down for a paeds ward but I'll probably not be. I actually feel like I should have gone for an HCA position in a surgical ward. They tend to be quieter.
Hi all,
I've just finished my first year of Biology at Southampton! I'm considering applying to Graduate Entry Medicine either 2018 (if I get experience) and 2019 (if I'm unsuccessful/need more experience) and I'm interested in Clinical Microbiology and Virology!
What's everyone studying? Will I be at a disadvantage cause I have Biology and not Biomed/Biochem?
That's sad.

The most negative reaction I've gotten is from a former GP who kept telling me I'm making a mistake. When she realised I was serious about it, she stopped discouraging me but still couldn't understand why. She said that "patients don't respect you."

To be fair, when I was in hospital, I was in so much pain, half the time I wanted to strangle the doctors and nurses taking care of me. I was so much nicer after my PCA morphine pump and once I was taken down to ICU b/c the surgeon didn't want to risk me being on an acute ward over the weekend.

I've mentioned to the nurses and HCA's (some of them at least) on the ward I volunteer on that I want to study GEM and they've been mostly cool about it since another one of the HCAs is doing undergrad medicine from September this year.

What was it like when you started off? Did you get like an induction for HCA specific training or shadow HCAs?

I used to babysit babies and toddlers when I was younger and got used to dealing with poo/vomit/urine but I'm really scared I'm going to be rubbish. I'm really hoping they put me down for a paeds ward but I'll probably not be. I actually feel like I should have gone for an HCA position in a surgical ward. They tend to be quieter.

I know you're not asking me but...

We had a 2 week induction which covered BLS, moving and handling, infection control and other general ward stuff.

Once on the ward we were supposed to be partnered up with an experienced HCA for all our shifts but this didn't happen. However, I blame this on the nature of the ward (surgical assessment unit) and how incredibly busy and short staffed it was. Although I think I preferred jumping in at the deep end over the slow and potentially tedious alternative. Despite the crazy nature other staff were always keen to help and teach you new things - as your improvements will benefit them in the long run.

Being a HCA is great, I'd go for the band 3 asap as it gives you additional responsibilities which are more relevant to medicine, as well as usually exempting you from the one-to-one or enhanced cases (though I'm not sure if this is true for every hospital) as a band 2 is more likely to do these roles as a 3 needs to help with observations, BM checks, etc.
Original post by JenniB22
No point applying to both courses at Kings as they automatically consider you for the 5year if you aren't successful for 4 year.

Have you considered others outside of London? Cost of living is very high there and you may struggle, especially if you're paying higher fees (if you're international?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought King's only considered for the 5 year program if we made it to the interview. Otherwise, they won't. I was just trying to maximize my chances at King's.

I haven't looked at anything outside of London because I have absolutely no clue what would be a good idea considering my qualifications.

Regarding the fees, I'm paying the same as home students because I am an European Union citizen. 😉

Thank you so much for replying to my message!!
Reply 634
I thought King's only considered for the 5 year program if we made it to the interview. Otherwise, they won't. I was just trying to maximize my chances at King's.

I haven't looked at anything outside of London because I have absolutely no clue what would be a good idea considering my qualifications.

Regarding the fees, I'm paying the same as home students because I am an European Union citizen. 😉

Thank you so much for replying to my message!!

Hi,

I asked King's last year if you apply to their GEM course are you automatically also considered for the 5 year course. They said that sometimes this happens but you would need to make it to the interview stage first. Also they said that you would have to score highly in the interview process but not quite high enough to get a place on the GEM course to be considered for the 5 year course.

It is worth checking that is still the case this year as things seem to change quite rapidly with admissions processes.
Original post by robbo83
Hi,

I asked King's last year if you apply to their GEM course are you automatically also considered for the 5 year course. They said that sometimes this happens but you would need to make it to the interview stage first. Also they said that you would have to score highly in the interview process but not quite high enough to get a place on the GEM course to be considered for the 5 year course.

It is worth checking that is still the case this year as things seem to change quite rapidly with admissions processes.

Thank you for your suggestion! I will contact King's and see what I can find out about the process.
Did you contact them via phone or their website?
Reply 636
Thank you for your suggestion! I will contact King's and see what I can find out about the process.
Did you contact them via phone or their website?

No problem. I emailed them via the website. Good luck with your application.
Original post by georgialharper
Hi all,
I've just finished my first year of Biology at Southampton! I'm considering applying to Graduate Entry Medicine either 2018 (if I get experience) and 2019 (if I'm unsuccessful/need more experience) and I'm interested in Clinical Microbiology and Virology!
What's everyone studying? Will I be at a disadvantage cause I have Biology and not Biomed/Biochem?

Hello,

I study cardiac physiology so I do a lot about diagnosis of heart conditions, maintenance of existing heart conditions. I'm also training in a cardiac catheter lab to monitor the patient and assist the interventional cardiologist - which is the best bit of my degree for sure!

You're not necessarily at a disadvantage, some GEM schools will take students of any discipline whereas other just want a 'science subject'.

I can't remember which university it was, but I found a list of the kind of degrees they were after and it was things like:

Anatomy
Physiology
Biomedicine
Biochemistry

I'm not sure if biology was on there but there are many options! You have to look around and see what fits you and your academic background :smile:
Original post by Marathi
I know you're not asking me but...

We had a 2 week induction which covered BLS, moving and handling, infection control and other general ward stuff.

Once on the ward we were supposed to be partnered up with an experienced HCA for all our shifts but this didn't happen. However, I blame this on the nature of the ward (surgical assessment unit) and how incredibly busy and short staffed it was. Although I think I preferred jumping in at the deep end over the slow and potentially tedious alternative. Despite the crazy nature other staff were always keen to help and teach you new things - as your improvements will benefit them in the long run.

Being a HCA is great, I'd go for the band 3 asap as it gives you additional responsibilities which are more relevant to medicine, as well as usually exempting you from the one-to-one or enhanced cases (though I'm not sure if this is true for every hospital) as a band 2 is more likely to do these roles as a 3 needs to help with observations, BM checks, etc.

Did you have supervision on any of your shifts or were you left alone completely? I'm going to be on a med ward but I don't know if it's going to be acute. I hope it isn't because they are almost always packed.

How many patients did you typically take care of in one day?

I'm Band 2. How do you go for Band 3? What is the difference between the roles of a Band 2 and 3? Does 3 just do more work?
Reply 639
Hey guys, Just wondering has anyone started their UCAS applications? and are you applying "independently as an individual" or is your university giving you a buzzword ?

Quick Reply

Latest