The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You've got the internet, use it.
Yes you are correct. Though just "1st" will suffice over 1:1, as it cannot be split further i.e. 1:2.

The lext level down is 2:1 > 2:2 and then 3rd.

Finally you can be awarded a degree without honors (usually below 40%).
First-class Honours (1st)
Second-class Honours, upper division (2:1)
Second-class Honours, lower division (2:2)
Third-class Honours (3rd)
Ordinary-Degree (Pass)

NOTHING ELSE.

1st = 70+
2:1 = 60+
2:2 = 50+
3rd = 40+

The module weightings for each year and each course will play a significant part in identifying your final degree mark. Example: My degree has a 1:2 weighting on 2nd and 3rd years. If I got 80% in year 2, I'd need 65% in year 3 to get a first overall. If, however, one of my modules was weighted more heavily then I may not have received 80% in my second year. Depends on the weighting.

Obviously, a second class degree is anything between 50-70.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A 1:1. It's not a degree classification. Oxbridge have/had double firsts, but that's totally different and pretty much irrelevant.

Original post by Instincts_2012
x
(edited 12 years ago)
What I want to know is where does "1:1" even come from? It's not referred to in any university I'm sure. The only place I've seen it is TSR...
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Ordinary-Degree (Pass)

NOTHING ELSE.

Thanks, what are the overall percentages you need to achieve in each classification rank (not sure if this is the right term)?

E.g: Is First-class Honours 90%+ or something? or does it depend on the course you take?

(Thankyou to the posters above btw, I've repped both of you for your contribution =) )
Reply 7
Thanks, what are the overall percentages you need to achieve in each classification rank (not sure if this is the right term)?

E.g: Is First-class Honours 90%+ or something? or does it depend on the course you take?

(Thankyou to the posters above btw, I've repped both of you for your contribution =) )

It does depend on the university/course yes.

The boundaries are normally 40/50/60/70 and will always be roughly the same as those values.
Ordinary-Degree (Pass)

NOTHING ELSE.

1st = 70+
3rd = 40+

The module weightings for each year and each course will play a significant part in identifying your final degree mark. Example: My degree has a 1:2 weighting on 2nd and 3rd years. If I got 80% in year 2, I'd need 65% in year 3 to get a first overall. If, however, one of my modules was weighted more heavily then I may not have received 80% in my second year. Depends on the weighting.

Obviously, a second class degree is anything between 50-70.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A 1:1. It's not a degree classification. Oxbridge have/had double firsts, but that's totally different and pretty much irrelevant.

What's the most common one to have?
Original post by SophiaKeuning
What's the most common one to have?

Vast majority get a 2:1. Depends entirely on the subject, though. I just got results today and the usual phone calls came through and most of my mates who I thought would get a 2:1 got 2:2's. Then again, it's maths. So yeah, depends on the subject and at what uni.

Edit: I'd be extremely cautious of any institution handing out firsts to everyone. A first should be for those students that showed that they worked harder or knew more than the vast majority.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by HSG1992

Yeah, can't you see that I'm using it? how do you think I'm posting?
Just out of interest, does anyone know why the boundaries for degree classifications are significantly higher through the Open University?
Yeah, can't you see that I'm using it? how do you think I'm posting?

Alright I'll elaborate.

Use it the way a person with a brain would use it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by HSG1992
Alright I'll elaborate.

Use it the way a person with a brain would use it.

You're using it constructively aren't you?
Reply 14
Original post by HSG1992

Or ask questions on The Student Room, a forum for students to help students.
Original post by Vitamin D
Just out of interest, does anyone know why the boundaries for degree classifications are significantly higher through the Open University?

The OU use what is called 'full-scale' marking to avoid the clustering around grade boundaries that you see in other marking systems that set a 70% as a first, etc. To avoid there being large differences between 1 or 2 percentage points in the First/2:1 or 2:1/2:2 area. It allows the grading to be more nuanced and hopefully avoid the agony of quite so many people being left on 69% or 59%.
Reply 17
Original post by LB3
Or ask questions on The Student Room, a forum for students to help students.

Spend 10 minutes + writing and waiting for reply.
or.
Use google and find answer in less than 15 seconds.

Hmm..
Reply 18
Ordinary-Degree (Pass)

NOTHING ELSE.

1st = 70+
3rd = 40+

Are peoples grade for university judged and evaluated overall? E.g. after going to uni and completing the course what you achieved is added up and you get either a 1st, 2:1, 2:2, or 3rd overall?

Or is it separated by each year? :|

Also what do you mean about the weighting??
Annoys the life out of me when people post things asking for info and people post answers like this. Just don't post anything atall!

Latest

Trending

Trending