The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Maths Core 2 - 25th May 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Nice to know that the answers I remember getting match the ones the unofficial mark scheme has, should be, it's a retake for me after all, 9 more exams to go now.
Can't remember much of the questions so I can't check my own answers or contribute to the unofficial mark scheme.

The question involving working out the perimeter of the shaded region took me a while to complete since I didn't want to risk any rounding errors so I carried over all of my values.

This paper is harder than any of the C2 papers I've done, and I've done all of them going back to the spec. paper, so I'm gonna guess the grading will be a bit lower than usual.
Reply 161
Original post by tsr1807
I thought the transformation question was a stretch with scale factor 25 damn

I thought it was 25 too. So what is the answer
was it out of 75 or 70 ?
Original post by Rit101
yh i reckon i dropped 20 marks
same
Original post by tsr1807
I thought the transformation question was a stretch with scale factor 25 damn

It was 1/25 I believe
i got 5+3cosx right, but I got the least value wrong.
How many marks will I lose???
Original post by goofyygoober

Same, think we will lose 1 mark for the answer.
Original post by Andrehaylock
It was 1/25 I believe

what ?!?!?

i dont remember any SF 25 ?

the only transformations i got were:

reflection in the y axis.
stretch in the y direction by scale factor 3
and there was another one that i dont remember

but none of them had a 25 in it ?

yeah i got 5+3 cos would i atleast get a mark or two?
Anyone remember the equations for the 1st and 2nd translation questions (the ones one after another) so I can check the answer? Thanks :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Same. What was you supposed to do after cosx=-5/3, because that wouldn't solve?
The 3rd transformation question was a stretch in the y-direction by a scale factor 3, right?

Also, as someone else asked, how many marks are lost if you didn't do anything correct beyond 5 + 3cosθ?
Original post by Bradley99
Same, think we will lose 1 mark for the answer.

I think we will lose 2 marks as 1 mark for the least value and 1 mark for the theta value in radian. ;((( sad
Original post by kiiten
What about the one where you have to show something has one root and find it? I found the root but didnt write b^2-4ac would that probably be 1/2 marks again?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't do b^2-4ac, I just showed the factorised expression and said x=5/2 because it was a repeated root. I have a feeling I probably should've added that in.
I think we will lose 2 marks as 1 mark for the least value and 1 mark for the theta value in radian. ;((( sad

I don't think so. Getting it into the right form was probably 3 marks, just putting 'pi' is surely not worth two marks! Don't worry about it.
Original post by Bradley99
I don't think so. Getting it into the right form was probably 3 marks, just putting 'pi' is surely not worth two marks! Don't worry about it.

That would have lost you 2 marks. You had to state the least value (1) and the value in radians (1).
Original post by MotorboatMyGoat

the least value is 2 because the least value for cosx is -1.
Therefore, 5+3cosx=2
cosx=-1
and you can solve
Original post by imstitch
4 marks I guess

I guess I should probably get two marks for working out- such a stupid error. Same for the perimeter question. Blown my chance of 70+
Original post by MotorboatMyGoat

You gotta imagine the graph for cos. usually the min value is -1 but it was stretched by sf 3 in y so it became -3. Then it was translated so u do 5-3=2. Since there had been no transformation in the x direction the theta value is the same as for a cow graph which was pi
Original post by Chickenslayer69
That would have lost you 2 marks. You had to state the least value (1) and the value in radians (1).

IMO that's very harsh. But at the end of the day I think I may have got 67 so probably 90 UMS, which I'm happy with :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending