The Student Room Group

Official OCR Physics A G481 24th May June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ludd-sama
This is actually really true. If they put the grade boundaries dumb high, there's gonna be a number of people who want to resit it. Which is more trouble than it's worth.

I'm really hoping they keep this mentality for the rest of the physics papers for the old spec.

The grade boundaries are dependent on how many people get a certain raw mark score. Imagine a distribution curve, with raw mark on the x axis and number of people getting that mark on the y axis, a certain amount of people will get a certain mark out of 60. When they set the A grade boundary they will say e.g. 20% of candidates must get an A; they will then find the x value (raw mark) when the area under the line is 20% of the total area under the line. This is basically what my teachers said at school.
Original post by smartsy
I feel like the only first-entry candidate who took this exam.

Are you doing AS&A2 in one year or something?
I dont think the boundaries will go up too much because a very similar percentage of candidates must be awarded a specific grade in Physics this year as previous years (around 28-29% with A*/A). So if they were to ridiculously inflate the boundaries on this paper, not as many people will get the grades they deserve overall in the A level. I think the marking on this unit will be more positive than previous years, with a higher than average proportion of candidates awarded an A on this paper.:smile:
Answers posted in new thread
Wheres the thread?
Thanks!
Original post by Agent47_
Are you doing AS&A2 in one year or something?

Yes, I am.
Original post by Daribig
Thanks!

No probs
Someone relieve me of my stress! The what I imagine was stupidly easy 2 mark question for the motorcyclist where you had to prove t=1.4 how did you do it because I honestly spent like 20 minutes on it couldn't do it and wanted to throw myself in front of the bike
Original post by speed1✈️✈️
I dont think the boundaries will go up too much because a very similar percentage of candidates must be awarded a specific grade in Physics this year as previous years (around 28-29% with A*/A). So if they were to ridiculously inflate the boundaries on this paper, not as many people will get the grades they deserve overall in the A level. I think the marking on this unit will be more positive than previous years, with a higher than average proportion of candidates awarded an A on this paper.:smile:

That's the spirit! Lets hope all goes well!
Original post by Alexander24
I think I stupidly left the number of cars that could be jumped over as 23.3, would that answer potentially be in the allow section of the mark scheme or have i just lost a mark

It should be. It'll be one of the 'accept' ones probably. He could potentially have landed on the remaining 2/3 of a car.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Adamcroft96
Someone relieve me of my stress! The what I imagine was stupidly easy 2 mark question for the motorcyclist where you had to prove t=1.4 how did you do it because I honestly spent like 20 minutes on it couldn't do it and wanted to throw myself in front of the bike

I calculated v, using a=9.81, s=9.5 u=0

than using that value of v you can just use v=u+at.

Just make sure to understand vertical velocity, acceleration, displacement and horizontal velocity, acceleration and displacement are completely independent of each other
Original post by Tobi100
It should be. It'll be one of the 'accept' ones probably. He could potentially have landed on the remaining 2/3 of a car.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How could you get fractions of a car as an answer lool doesn't make sense. It is exactly 23 cars sorry, just 1 mark gone.
Reply 294
Original post by speed1✈️✈️
How could you get fractions of a car as an answer lool doesn't make sense. It is exactly 23 cars sorry, just 1 mark gone.

But he technically does jump over 23.3 cars so to say he jumps over 23 cars is incorrect. It's like when someone asks for a year in days to say 365 rather than 365 and a quarter
Original post by _MAT_
But he technically does jump over 23.3 cars so to say he jumps over 23 cars is incorrect. It's like when someone asks for a year in days to say 365 rather than 365 and a quarter

So they saw-ed 1/3 of a car just so he can jump over it?
Reply 296
Original post by President J
So they saw-ed 1/3 of a car just so he can jump over it?

I don't see why not, it also doesn't take into account the fact that the cars have a height so it's not exactly an accurate representation of real life anyway
resolve and use trig

I still don't get it man, I used SohCahToa and I get

Sin(theta) = W / F

so

F = W / Sin(theta)

but the mark scheme says:

F = W Sin(theta)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending