The Student Room Group

OCR Core 2 Maths: Wednesday 25th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sourestdeeds
Was the period not 2pi/a?

That's what I got, noticed at the last minute
Original post by Burkey98
For some reason i got 37 for the summation i might have made a slip up some where. I got the same for the logs

I got 37, the same for logs, I have no idea where I slipped up tho :frown:
Original post by Sourestdeeds
Was the period not 2pi/a?

I got this too
What did everyone get for the integration of the quartic curve? What limits did you use
1) 10cm
ii) 5.04
2) 3/10 pi
ii) 20.4
3)
ii) k = 1/9 k = 0
4) log question?
ii) 12 and -3 (I said can't equal -3 but think it's wrong)
5)
6) k = 91
ii) 980 or something
iii) N = 38
7) remainder = 0
ii) factors = -1 1 and 3
iii) the area under curve as like 585/15 or something
8)
9) Last question = 1/3pi divided by a and 4/3 pi divided by a
Reply 45
Original post by milliex97
What did everyone get for the integration of the quartic curve? What limits did you use

I used -1 and 3 as my limits, the stationary point of 1 was a maximum and didn't touch the x axis from inspection

I think I got 6.73, though I may have answers mixed up
Original post by cc262626
1) 10cm
ii) 5.04
2) 3/10 pi
ii) 20.4
3)
ii) k = 1/9 k = 0
4) log question?
ii) 12 and -3 (I said can't equal -3 but think it's wrong)
5)
6) k = 91
ii) 980 or something
iii) N = 38
7) remainder = 0
ii) factors = -1 1 and 3
iii) the area under curve as like 585/15 or something
8)
9) Last question = 1/3pi divided by a and 4/3 pi divided by a

What was question 3 and 6? And did anyone get +/- 3^0.5 for the logs question?
Reply 47
Original post by h3rmit
I used -1 and 3 as my limits, the stationary point of 1 was a maximum and didn't touch the x axis from inspection

I think I got 6.73, though I may have answers mixed up

I think I got 512/15 actually
For question 3ii) when it said the coefficient of the x^2 equals the constant, i think the constant it meant was the 24 at the end of the expansion not k.
So it would be 9k^2=24 so k=+-root 3
Which is why it stated give exact answers
for that question where you had to show that x^3 -3x.... whatever where the roots for x, could you divide the x^4.... by x+1? It worked but I don't know if that is the proper way of doing it. My friends just differentiated and then divided by 4....
please please please can somebody put me out of my misery! what was the question to 8iv??? explanation if possible plssss
Reply 51
Original post by ChicharitoMUFC
Anyone want to discuss what they think will come up?

I reckon a question 10 using radons
Reply 52
Easy paper
Original post by Daustin
Easy paper

I found it easy, you didn't.
You get your answer as 37.3 I think, but you have to round it up as it asks for a positive integer. I subbed 37 in and it was less than, subbed 38 in and It was more than, therefore it's greater when N was 38
Original post by h3rmit
I think I got 512/15 actually

This is correct.
Reply 56
Hi, for question 3 ii), with the binomial expansion, I got the values of K to be 1/9 and 0, although I put a cross through 0, and said k cannot equal zero, because then kx = 0, and the binomial expansion is no longer binomial because it only has 1 term? Am I wrong, and will I lose a mark for putting a line through 0 if so?
Original post by JoshH2016
You don't have a badge, your opinion doesn't matter.

What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say. This person used maths, the subject this whole exam was based around to get the right answer. Yet, you are idiotic enough to call it an opinion because of this poor excuse of a website's rewards system? I knew there was good reason I didn't use this website anymore and it was solely because of reckless imbeciles like you.
Original post by Billy_Boi
for that question where you had to show that x^3 -3x.... whatever where the roots for x, could you divide the x^4.... by x+1? It worked but I don't know if that is the proper way of doing it. My friends just differentiated and then divided by 4....

You have to differentiate. (because you're finding the gradient).
Anything else is probably just coincidence, so I'd say no
Original post by Carter1
Hi, for question 3 ii), with the binomial expansion, I got the values of K to be 1/9 and 0, although I put a cross through 0, and said k cannot equal zero, because then kx = 0, and the binomial expansion is no longer binomial because it only has 1 term? Am I wrong, and will I lose a mark for putting a line through 0 if so?

k = 1/9 only

Quick Reply