The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cecilia.adekoya
How did everyone find the exam on friday? The Othello and Death of a Salesman one

I thought they were both okay, not many problems there :smile:
Original post by CatusStarbright
I thought they were both okay, not many problems there :smile:

I completely agree, the questions were accessible for everyone
Original post by sumaiyah101
Hi Guys,

Is anyone doing aspects of comedy?

I'm doing:
The Importance of being Earnest (Oscar Wilde)
The Taming of the Shrew (Shakespeare)
Emma (Jane Austen)
John Betjeman for poetry

I'm doing aspects of comedy too - all the same texts as you apart from the poetry; we do the comic poetry anthology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beth.stoney
I'm doing aspects of comedy too - all the same texts as you apart from the poetry; we do the comic poetry anthology.

Posted from TSR Mobile

how di you find the exam on friday?? and what do you think the Emma question will be?! - that's the one question i'm worried about
how di you find the exam on friday?? and what do you think the Emma question will be?! - that's the one question i'm worried about

The exam on Friday was alright but it could have gone a lot better for me - I found the question for The Importance of Being Earnest quite hard.. how did you find it?

I wrote a really bad essay on Emma in my mocks, so I'm really worried about the Emma question. I have no idea what it will be on but I'm hoping for a question on Mr Knightley or Harriet. I've got a list of suggested essay questions that my teacher gave me if you want them?
I'm doing Othello as well but with Persuasion and The Great Gatsby

The poems I'm doing are; Who so list to hount, Sonnet 116, The Flea, To His Coy Mistress, The Scrutiny, Absent From Thee, The Garden of Love, Ae Fond Kiss, She Walks in Beauty, Remember, The Ruined Maid, At an Inn, La Belle Dame sans Merci, and Non Sum Qualis Eram Bonae sub Regno Cynarae
Hi!

The texts im doing are: The Great Gatsby and John Keats poetry

Does anyone have any good critics for Keats which could slot into any question? I have ones for Gatsby if anyone is after those...

Thanks!
Georgia x
does anyone have any advice on how to write the prose essay? I'm doing Gatsby if anyone has anything in particular for that!

same goes for the poetry anthology - if anyone has any notes on it or advice on how to write it i'd be so grateful because my teacher was ill so we didn't go through it properly
Original post by abcdeffy
does anyone have any advice on how to write the prose essay? I'm doing Gatsby if anyone has anything in particular for that!

same goes for the poetry anthology - if anyone has any notes on it or advice on how to write it i'd be so grateful because my teacher was ill so we didn't go through it properly

Which poetry?? If its Thomas Hardy I have loads and for Gatsby cover as many themes and aspects of the book as possible and keep points concise and don't do repetitive analysis.
Original post by bethanylunn1999
Which poetry?? If its Thomas Hardy I have loads and for Gatsby cover as many themes and aspects of the book as possible and keep points concise and don't do repetitive analysis.

thank you for the gatsby tips! it's the poetry anthology for aspects of tragedy.
thank you for the gatsby tips! it's the poetry anthology for aspects of tragedy.

Yes but which author and are you AQA??

I'm doing the same anthology - Chaucer, Milton, Tennyson, Rossetti, Yeats, Hardy, Frost, Auden and Betjeman, right?
Original post by cecilia.adekoya
How did everyone find the exam on friday? The Othello and Death of a Salesman one

The Othello was question was good but I didn't like the extract.. 😭😭
Overall it wasn't too bad
I'm doing the same anthology - Chaucer, Milton, Tennyson, Rossetti, Yeats, Hardy, Frost, Auden and Betjeman, right?

yep :smile:
Original post by bethanylunn1999
Yes but which author and are you AQA??

sorry, it is the AQA thread so yep I am :u: the authors are Chaucer, Milton, Tennyson, Rossetti, Yeats, Hardy, Frost, Auden and Betjeman.
Original post by beth.stoney
The exam on Friday was alright but it could have gone a lot better for me - I found the question for The Importance of Being Earnest quite hard.. how did you find it?

I wrote a really bad essay on Emma in my mocks, so I'm really worried about the Emma question. I have no idea what it will be on but I'm hoping for a question on Mr Knightley or Harriet. I've got a list of suggested essay questions that my teacher gave me if you want them?

I preferred Earnest but my Shrew response was awful!

yeah I'm worried about Emma it's my worst - and that would be great if you could.
yep :smile:

The way to tackle the poetry question is to analyse the extract given and explain how that poem relates to the question. Then talk about a poem that contrasts that view and one that agrees. In your conclusion, answer the question directly using the evidence you have presented.
The way to tackle the poetry question is to analyse the extract given and explain how that poem relates to the question. Then talk about a poem that contrasts that view and one that agrees. In your conclusion, answer the question directly using the evidence you have presented.

thank you! For GCSE we were taught to pick up and analyse features of the poem (ie. the caesura here represents this or the enjambent over here does this) - do we still do that at A Level? The impression our teacher has given is that it's more important to talk about the poem in regards to the aspects of tragedy (bit more prose-ish than a poem)
I preferred Earnest but my Shrew response was awful!

yeah I'm worried about Emma it's my worst - and that would be great if you could.

I'll PM you:smile:
Does anyone know for the poetry question (I'm doing Keats, not that it particular matters I expect) if we have to have an 'argument', e.g. like in DOAS where you have to argue Yes/No and come to a conclusion? For example, the specimen paper, while the mark scheme lists possible 'disagree' points for Keats, the question doesn't really set up a debate, as such. I hope that makes sense, if anyone could shed some light on my confusion I'd be very appreciative!

Latest

Trending

Trending