The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Physics Unit 1 - Unofficial Mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by gy7gy7gy7
Wasnt the answer that x100 because there was x100 at the end of the equation?

For a start that would be the efficiency, and because the efficiency was given in decimals not percent 'x100' wan't required
Original post by trishka
I added it to the 100 to get 122

Same here! Why would it be 78 rather than 122? I know it's a 22 degree difference but how would you know if you had to subtract or add 22 to 100?

Edit: Wait, because it was cooling down. I feel rather stupid now:colondollar: ignore me
(edited 7 years ago)
nah, u only multiply by 100 to find the efficiency, the question was asking for the power output/input, cant remember, you will probably get good marks for working tho :smile:
Six marker:

HEP - ADVANTAGES
constant supply, little variation in output
£30k cheaper than wind turbine
renewable resource
doesn't produce as much noise as wind
No CO2

DISADVANTAGES
could ruin ecosystem by preventing free movement of fish
May need maintenance unlike wind
Lower power output - 8W compared to 10W

Wind - ADVANTAGES
higher average output
Needs little maintenance
renewable resource
Easily expanded
No CO2

DISADVANTAGES
Eyesore
noise pollution
Wind speeds vary, meaning there could be times of under- or oversupply
Costs 50k, 30k more than HEP

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by milolj
I put that aswell i think its wrong

You taake 100 degrees from 22 and get 78
Reply 25
Original post by gy7gy7gy7
Wasnt the answer that x100 because there was x100 at the end of the equation?

you will still get the mark as the markscheme would allow it as a decimal or a percentage only if you put the % sign next to it
Original post by wildjones
Same here! Why would it be 78 rather than 122? I know it's a 22 degree difference but how would you know if you had to subtract or add 22 to 100?

Because it said the heat was transferred to the surroundings, as well as the question being about cooling water.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am really stressed about this question 😂
Is anyone sure what the answer is because I wrote 122 degrees
Hey guys can you improve your ISA after the exams have finished?
Original post by SmithAmelia
I am really stressed about this question 😂
Is anyone sure what the answer is because I wrote 122 degrees

I'm pretty sure it was 78 because the question was about evaporation, and cooling and also mentioned that heat was transferred to the surroundings. Might be wrong tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30

Edit: Wait, because it was cooling down. I feel rather stupid now:colondollar: ignore me

same, I feel stupid now after adding it :s-smilie:
Do you guys think that I would have gotten the mark for saying that disadvantages of nuclear power staions are that:
1. They can't be turnt off
2. Decommissioning is expensive
Original post by charliej2802
Did anyone else put 22 degrees, think i messed it up

I got 22 degrees as well, but think you might have had to subtract that from 100. Still will get a mark for working out method though
Anyone remember what the question was for the one after the 78 degrees one. It was something to do with power output. My friends said something about multiplying by 60. And I didn't do that!!!

The answer was something to do with watts if that helps!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by habeeb_00
I'm pretty sure it was 78 because the question was about evaporation, and cooling and also mentioned that heat was transferred to the surroundings. Might be wrong tho

Yeah I just realised it was cooling down so 122 is wrong. Hopefully I'll still get the method mark.Thanks though!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I just realised it was cooling down so 122 is wrong. Hopefully I'll still get the method mark.Thanks though!Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by trishka
I got that too :smile:

I got that:smile:
Original post by B3ASTy
for the rural one could i have put that it would be expensive connecting to the national grid so the amount of electricity generated wouldn't be worth it?

yeah same, i also said it was far away and not a lot of people lived there
Original post by srmed
you will still get the mark as the markscheme would allow it as a decimal or a percentage only if you put the % sign next to it

this was about useful energy out not efficiency
Reply 38
What did people put for the similarities between infrared and micro waves?

if i put 22 as the answer and the question was three marks would I still get two marks?

Quick Reply