The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ryandaniels2015
Thanks for the reply, so the method does not have to be the same as the mark scheme?

Not necessarily for a question like that, there may be different ways of achieving the same answer. These variations would normally be put down in the notes section under the question (examiners copy)
Original post by Ayman!
Dude, what's a C3 triangle? Is that on the spec? :eek:

That C3 proof triangle 45 degree, 45 degree + 90 right angle

with 1, 1 and sqroot (2) lengths
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
That C3 proof triangle 45 degree, 45 degree + 90 right angle

with 1, 1 and sqroot (2) lengths

Just remember it as a square cut by it's diagonal
Original post by edothero
Not necessarily for a question like that, there may be different ways of achieving the same answer. These variations would normally be put down in the notes section under the question (examiners copy)

I checked the notes section and my method isn't there, I went some long winded route, so u think I will still get the marks? Thanks for the help
Original post by ryandaniels2015
I checked the notes section and my method isn't there, I went some long winded route, so u think I will still get the marks? Thanks for the help

Mind showing me the question and your answer?
Another interesting way of doing Question 10 on the IAL C34 Specimen Paper ( https://07a69ccf283966549a9350d1a66951a7bc96e2dc.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYZ0JQM1NRcmdHdXM/Specimen%20(IAL)%20QP%20-%20C34%20Edexcel.pdf )

Spoiler

This is how I did it lmao, I wasn't thinking straight. Been doing a lot of FP3 lately :laugh:

I would have done pi times integral of sin^2 theta x sec ^2 theta, which is integral of tan^2 theta... I'm stuck now, where did I go wrong

Edit: oh wait that is sec^2 theta minus 1, so then it is pi [tan x - x] bounded by the theta value
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by metrize
I would have done pi times integral of sin^2 theta x sec ^2 theta, which is integral of tan^2 theta... I'm stuck now, where did I go wrong

Ignore my solution, its an alternative way and some methods used towards the end are beyond C4 level.

πy2 dxdθ dθ\pi\displaystyle \int y^{2}\ \dfrac{dx}{d\theta}\ d\theta is the correct way of doing it.

So πsin2θ×sec2θ  dθ\pi \displaystyle \int sin^{2}\theta \times sec^{2}\theta\ \ d\theta as you said.
(edited 7 years ago)
First you deal with the xx

So you would have

0<2x<7200 < 2x < 720

Then if you're adding/subtracting anything

60<2x60<660-60 < 2x-60 < 660

Then once you have your values you do it in the opposite order

so (x+60)2\dfrac{(x+60)}{2}

Cheers mate. Is there a reason why it's done like that rather than the usual order when inside a bracket?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thad33
Cheers mate. Is there a reason why it's done like that rather than the usual order when inside a bracket?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't quite get what you mean sorry, could you elaborate?

So sin(2x-60) for example is a transformation. So you would follow the rules of transformation inside the bracket. Why do you change the range of values the opposite way to that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait, I think I got it. Is it because you need to get back to the original sin function in order to get the original values that you then need to change?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thad33
So sin(2x-60) for example is a transformation. So you would follow the rules of transformation inside the bracket. Why do you change the range of values the opposite way to that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right, when you apply it to the ranges and do sin1=2x60sin^{-1}=2x-60 you obtain values for 2x602x-60. Question asks for values of x, so you rearrange :smile:
Original post by thad33
Wait, I think I got it. Is it because you need to get back to the original sin function in order to get the original values that you then need to change?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Take it like this, (sorry for double posting)

60<2x60<660 -60 < 2x-60 < 660

(2x60)=sin1(1)\therefore (2x-60) = sin^{-1}(1)

(2x60)=θ1 , θ2 ,  ,θn(2x-60) = \theta_{1}\ ,\ \theta_{2}\ ,\ \cdots\ , \theta_{n}

Where θ\theta is some value in the range
Then you need to find the values of x.
Therefore you would do

x=(θ1+60)2 , (θ2+60)2 ,  ,(θn+60)2x = \dfrac{(\theta_{1}+60)}{2}\ ,\ \dfrac{(\theta_{2}+60)}{2}\ ,\ \cdots\ , \dfrac{(\theta_{n}+60)}{2}

Hence doing the opposite.
Reply 2033
For those who dont know, Arsey's been banned from making model answers for edexcel, that means he wont be making them for c3 or c4, so brace yourselves for not being able to check your answers afterwards, unless someone else takes on the responsibility :adore:
Original post by boyyo
For those who dont know, Arsey's been banned from making model answers for edexcel, that means he wont be making them for c3 or c4, so brace yourselves for not being able to check your answers afterwards, unless someone else takes on the responsibility :adore:

Wow
I guess this is good in some way

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Wow

Posted from TSR Mobile

Darn it.
Original post by Bloom77
Wow

Posted from TSR Mobile