The Student Room Group

AS OCR History: From Autocracy to Communism (Russia from 1894-1941)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gingerbread101
1894-1905 seriousness of opposition, and 1905-1914 :smile: I wish I'd done the consolidation of power rather than the seriousness of opposition though :s-smilie:

I was deciding between those two as well. In the end, due to how much more knowledge I had on Stalin's use of terror, propaganda, and his cult, over that of the work of Sergei Witte and 1894-1905, I decided to do the consolidation.
Original post by NimaOP
I was deciding between those two as well. In the end, due to how much more knowledge I had on Stalin's use of terror, propaganda, and his cult, over that of the work of Sergei Witte and 1894-1905, I decided to do the consolidation.

The wording of the consolidation question threw me off so I didn't do it, regret it now as I think I messed up the other one a bit :frown:
Right lads I've got a mock tomorrow and I know the 10 marker is going to be Stolypin vs Witte and the 20 markers is going to be about the stability of the tsarist regime from 1905- 1914 and I do not have a scooby doo what is going on
Reply 43
Original post by MaryCullen
Right lads I've got a mock tomorrow and I know the 10 marker is going to be Stolypin vs Witte and the 20 markers is going to be about the stability of the tsarist regime from 1905- 1914 and I do not have a scooby doo what is going on

haha
Original post by MaryCullen

That's a different unit, there are no 10 and 20 matk questions in this spec :smile:
That's a different unit, there are no 10 and 20 matk questions in this spec :smile:

Hi, im doing this exam as a retake this year, do you remember the questions that came up last year because I cant find them on the OCR website and also do you have any predictions for what may come up this year?

Thanks in advance
Original post by kermeelion
Hi, im doing this exam as a retake this year, do you remember the questions that came up last year because I cant find them on the OCR website and also do you have any predictions for what may come up this year?

Thanks in advance

I can't, but your teacher should have access to the papers with their pass codes :smile: I'm expecting something on the Civil War hopefully :smile:
Reply 47
don't think many people will be doing this exam this year

anyone got any good revision material?
What are the most common questions that come up year after year? (obviously they may be worded a little differently)
Reply 49
What kind of questions were that
Original post by NOP97
What kind of questions were that

-1905 and NII power
-Terror most important factor for bolshevik consolidation of power
-stalin rise to power
Reply 51
Original post by kermeelion
-1905 and NII power
-Terror most important factor for bolshevik consolidation of power
-stalin rise to power

1921-24 consolidation of power is way too small of a topic for a 50 marker. Never asked before either.
Original post by NOP97
1921-24 consolidation of power is way too small of a topic for a 50 marker. Never asked before either.

I agree, I'd revised Lenin and the Bolshevik consolidation of power but a lot of it was 1918 so I didn't have enough knowledge to do it... Loved the Power Struggle question though :biggrin:
Reply 53
I agree, I'd revised Lenin and the Bolshevik consolidation of power but a lot of it was 1918 so I didn't have enough knowledge to do it... Loved the Power Struggle question though :biggrin:

Yeah, that question was alright, Did you do the 1905 question too?
Original post by NOP97
Yeah, that question was alright, Did you do the 1905 question too?

Yeah, I wasn't quite sure how to organise it so it probably wasn't the best essay ever though :colondollar:
Reply 55
Yeah, I wasn't quite sure how to organise it so it probably wasn't the best essay ever though :colondollar:

Same, I think everyone would be in a similar boat - it wasn't a question asked before.

All three of them haven't been asked before.
Original post by NOP97
Same, I think everyone would be in a similar boat - it wasn't a question asked before.

All three of them haven't been asked before.

The power struggle was asked in Jan 2009, on the first exam paper they did I think :smile:
Where were you Civil War and October Revolution!!??
They haven't asked a power struggle one since the first exam so I kind of naively negoected it in terms of revision. Had to answer it though by process of elimination, what the he'll was that second question and how were we meant to write an essay on it? Smashed the 1905 one although may have gone slightly off topic - didn't really know how to include Stolypins land reforms etc but I mentioned it saying that he needed them to restore his absolute authority in the countryside.
Reply 58
Original post by tom_b1807
They haven't asked a power struggle one since the first exam so I kind of naively negoected it in terms of revision. Had to answer it though by process of elimination, what the he'll was that second question and how were we meant to write an essay on it? Smashed the 1905 one although may have gone slightly off topic - didn't really know how to include Stolypins land reforms etc but I mentioned it saying that he needed them to restore his absolute authority in the countryside.

Luckily I revised rise to power just before the exam, but still the 'division and weakness' was slightly awkward to tackle. The bastards didn't include 1917 or the Civil War which I thought was certain to pop up. The 1905 one got me, not because I didn't know the material, but because I didn't know how to organise my essay. In the end I made a cluster**** of mismatching paragraphs. I gave a point about how it conceded some political authority, but in actual fact, the political freedoms offered in manifesto weren't adhered to, and that the Duma was nullified with fundamental laws/bicameralism. Also talked a bit about Stolypin...

Got 70/100 last year on this, definitely haven't improved imo.
Original post by tom_b1807

I was hoping for power struggle, civil war and October Revolution :lol:
I revised the power struggle because it was one of my favourite topics and found it one of the easiest to organise when I was doing the essays throughout the year.
My 1905 one was really disorganised, I didn't know how far past the actual revolution to go
Original post by NOP97
Luckily I revised rise to power just before the exam, but still the 'division and weakness' was slightly awkward to tackle. The bastards didn't include 1917 or the Civil War which I thought was certain to pop up. The 1905 one got me, not because I didn't know the material, but because I didn't know how to organise my essay. In the end I made a cluster**** of mismatching paragraphs. I gave a point about how it conceded some political authority, but in actual fact, the political freedoms offered in manifesto weren't adhered to, and that the Duma was nullified with fundamental laws/bicameralism. Also talked a bit about Stolypin...

Got 70/100 last year on this, definitely haven't improved imo.

I had the same problem with 1905, and talked about the same sort of things, but with talking about the army and Potemkin too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending